Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie- big bear camping weekend

Hi all.. i picked up a tj few months ago. summer is here and want to go up to big bear for a weekend camping trip... would like to drive some trails to a secluded spot to setup camp and do some hiking from there..

i'm running a 4.0L tj with stock everything and 31x10.5 tires.. so can't really do much harsh trails..

does anyone have some suggestions for me? i've looked through the trail lists, but they all seem to be over my head..

thanks!

What kind of hiking to you want to do, and how hard of a trail?

Bear in mind that although dispersed camping is allowed in the SBNF - campfires are not (and you'll need a fire permit for a fuel stove)
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Welcome ben8, you can first stop by the discovery center and pick up some maps with some good info. There are several camping areas/sites that offer hiking and trail riding close by. I'm sure some folks here will post some good suggestions on where you might want to go. Btw, when you pick up your fire permit at the ranger station, they also have some maps. Hope you have a great time.

Comment

Serrano is really close to the discovery center and close to lot of trails in the area.

Comment

Camp at Yellow Post 54. Campfires are allowed. You can hike to Lightning Gulch Peak or to Sugarloaf Peak. 2N93 is rated green circle easiest.

Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post
            Camp at Yellow Post 54. Campfires are allowed. You can hike to Lightning Gulch Peak or to Sugarloaf Peak. 2N93 is rated green circle easiest.
            great! thanks for that.. i looked it up and found a little write up about it.. looks perfect.. is it true thought that yellow post sites only have space for one campsite?

Comment

Originally posted by ben8jam View Post
              great! thanks for that.. i looked it up and found a little write up about it.. looks perfect.. is it true thought that yellow post sites only have space for one campsite?
              Some yellow post sites are big enough to hold 5-6 vehicles and tents. YP 54 is small and only has room for 1 or 2 tents/vehicles.

You can disperse camp (no campfires) at the intersection of 2N93 and 2N93D. I have seen groups with as many as 4 tents and 4 vehicles in that area.
              Last edited by FishPOET; 06-04-08, 02:43 PM.
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

There are plenty of great trails up there that a TJ on 31's can do and have a great time. When are you planning on going up?

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodOil.com View Post
                  There are plenty of great trails up there that a TJ on 31's can do and have a great time. When are you planning on going up?
                  we're hoping end of june, before the july 4th rush

Comment

Working...
                  X