Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sequoia national park

Anybody know anything about jeep trails in the sequoia national park. I hear that they are as good as the rubicon,but with beter fishing and camping.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Putting a post in because Barb and I want to go camping here before we leave California next year.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Wheeling in a National Park? You mean Sequoia Natl Forest right? There are very few few trails outside of Sequoia NP that are very long. There is one up near Big Meadows. I think its call Buck Rock but I'm not positive, its been to long since I've been there. There are some great trails above Shaver Lake but they might have too much snow on them right now. Its sounds like you're talking about the Dusy-Ershom trail. It should all be open in a couple of weeks if not a little sooner depending on weather.

Comment

Here's a link to some of the trails near Shaver. You can see a portion of the Dusy Trail.
        http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/publi...rogs/swamp.pdf

Comment

Curtis, there are a bunch of trails up in that area. Some are still closed due to snow, but most will be open soon. Spanish Trail, Dusy, Red Mountains, Brewer Lake, Swamp Lake, and a bunch more.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

So . . . when are we goin'??? I'd love to get up there, especially now that summer is here and the desert trails are so stinkin' hot.
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Well, for ME this trip will have to wait until after vacation in July. Must save the $$ for going home this summer.
              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

ha curtis i might be interested also !!

Comment

As Rob said in his post, most of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are wilderness areas; you have to hike in. If you want to wheel in the High Sierras, you should go to the Shaver Lake area in the Sierra National Forest.

CA4WDC has a fund raising event near Shaver Lake/Bald Mountain each year over the Labor Day weekend. The event features an overnight run to Swamp Lake and day runs to Bald Mountain and other trails in the area. One of the highlights of the event is the Margarita Blend-off on Sunday night. Here's the report from last year's event:
                  http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8847
                  I'm sure one of the highlights from this year's event will be seeing Al Spires' (igofshn) propane powered Samurai on the trails.
                  To make the long trip worthwhile, you could combine the Swamp Lake run with a Dusy-Ershim run (be careful and don't break anything; those trails are famous for the carnage).
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

In the Sequoia NF there is only a couple of actual "jeep trails" one of them is Buck rock that does indeed travel through the area close to big meadows. There are a few more closer to Hume Lake, Cherry Gap and Cherry meadow I believe, then a couple more near Sequoia Lake. Nothing up in Sequoia NF is considered difficult during the summer... in the winter it can be because of the snow. Buck Rock trail is not open yet the others are.

Near shaver all of the trails mentioned above make the shaver area in the Sierra NF a popular place to go wheelin.

Bald Mountain is currently the only open trail, Red Lake, Coyote, Mirror, Strawberry and Brewer will likely open in the next few weeks. Swamp probably by the end of June and Dusy by en of june beginning of July. Due to the elevation of some of these trails, Dusy is above 9,000 feet for much of the trail there is still considerable snowpack.
                    '04 Yellow Rubicon on 40's with 1 Ton's!
                    President - Rubicon4WDA

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
                      As Rob said in his post, most of Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are wilderness areas; you have to hike in. If you want to wheel in the High Sierras, you should go to the Shaver Lake area in the Sierra National Forest.

CA4WDC has a fund raising event near Shaver Lake/Bald Mountain each year over the Labor Day weekend. The event features an overnight run to Swamp Lake and day runs to Bald Mountain and other trails in the area. One of the highlights of the event is the Margarita Blend-off on Sunday night. Here's the report from last year's event:
                      http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8847
                      I'm sure one of the highlights from this year's event will be seeing Al Spires' (igofshn) propane powered Samurai on the trails.
                      To make the long trip worthwhile, you could combine the Swamp Lake run with a Dusy-Ershim run (be careful and don't break anything; those trails are famous for the carnage).
                      I will be the trail leader for the overnight run this year.

I had the Samurai out this weekend to Bald MT. Just finished installing 6.5-1 tcase gears. It is so lo that I can start out in 5th gear. crawl ratio is 125-1. It is going to be a blast on swamp this year. We will probably do a pre run in mid august so if anyone wants to go, I'll post a trip.
                      Last edited by igofshn; 06-02-08, 09:21 AM.
                      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

If anyone wants to do a trip up in the area, I would be glad to lead you though. There are a lot of trails to run, everything from mild to wild.
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Working...
                        X