Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell's Revenge

On Monday, May 19, 2008 I ran Hell’s Revenge trail in Moab, UT as part of a group of seven Jeeps from Arizona and Colorado. The trail is rated a "4" by the Red-Rock Four-Wheelers. The trail starts on the ridge just east of Moab, UT and makes a loop of about 8 miles in length to the Colorado River and back. This is the start of Hell’s Revenge trail:

The trail has a few sandy spots, but most of it is on solid, Moab slickrock:

We stopped for lunch overlooking the Colorado River.

After lunch, one of the members of the group discovered that he had a broken brake line, so he returned to camp accompanied by one other Jeep.

The five remaining Jeeps continued along the trail. The trail leader mentioned on the CB that the next section of the trail was a "little" steep and there was a bypass, but like sheep being led to slaughter, we all followed him to the obstacle. We learned – too late – that we were at the infamous Hell's Gate obstacle. The trail leader went up first, without incident.

Here’s a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev8w0qQr-NY

The second Jeep flopped against the wall of the obstacle, but amazingly he drove out of it with only minor scratches on his Jeep:

The third Jeep gave us a few anxious moments as it looked like he might flip end-over-end but he eventually made it up the obstacle safely:

Here’s a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMX7HaebceU

The fourth Jeep made it up without incident:

I was the tail-gunner. I don't have any pictures but here’s a link to a video of my Jeep on the Hell's Gate obstacle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyuqGLtlqas

After the Hell's Gate, we went to the Hot Tub:

The Slickrock Bike Trail crisscrosses the Hells Revenge trail. We saw many mountain bikes on the trail:

One final steep descent before the end of Hells Revenge:

Hell's Revenge was my first experience with Moab trails and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The weather was perfect and the scenery was great.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Nice report!

Comment

Hey Thanks Russ, good job on that one obstacle..Are you still on open diff,s?? I always thought ya had to be locked to do Moab..Or am I thinking of some where else? Geeb
      "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Russ,

Your pics and reports always ROCK!!! Thanks for sharing . . . glad to have you back in one piece!!!
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Russ, those are some great photos and videos. I really enjoyed that. I'm impressed you did Hell's Gate. That spot gives me the willies, and your photos and video's are not helping!

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
          Hey Thanks Russ, good job on that one obstacle..Are you still on open diff,s?? I always thought ya had to be locked to do Moab..Or am I thinking of some where else? Geeb
          Traction on the slickrock is so amazingly good that I don't think Lockers would be required for Hell's Revenge or Fins-n-Things, but there are a lot of other trails with big ledges where a locker is really helpful.

I've got a bunch of Moab photos on my website from my Land Rover group activities:
          http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=22

And a few more photos like these with my wife at the helm. It's these experiences in the Jeep that led to our purchase of the LJ.

Last edited by nwoods; 05-28-08, 07:33 PM.
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Great pics guys! Memories... I love Moab! THanks
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Great stuff. I passed on HR this past trip due to wanting to run other trails. Missing HR is always strange since it is a must do trail. Any pics of Tip-over challenge? Thats always a fun obstacle.

Comment

Hey Russ,

So to make sure I have the time-line correct, you made this run a few days BEFORE Murphy's HB Trail?

You always go on the greatest runs.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Awesome report. I was there last year with a bunch of VW Touaregs. 110 degrees and we still had an awesome time. We ran the trail with Dan the "Mayor of Slick Rock".

Nice photos.

Here's a video of me driving a V10 Diesel Touareg at the entrance of Hell's Revenge
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=iQINj4R93Hk

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Russ, A great report as usual. Moab is an awesome place. I've done Slickrock Trail a couple of times on my mountain bike and the traction is incredible. Looks like a cool trip. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodOil.com View Post
                      Great stuff. I passed on HR this past trip due to wanting to run other trails. Missing HR is always strange since it is a must do trail. Any pics of Tip-over challenge? Thats always a fun obstacle.
                      John,

I didn't get any pictures of our group on Tip-over Challenge; after our trail leader spun his tires going up, I decided to let a little more air out of my tires, so I didn't get a chance to take any pictures.
                      One of the other members of our group took this picture:

I see that one of the people at the top of the hill are taking pictures. I hope she has one of me going up. If so, I'll post that up, too.
                      KI6MLU

Comment

Well Russ, as usual a great write up. I hope to get out there one day. Beautiful pics.

Comment

Tip-over Challenge Hill, Hells Revenge Trail, Moab, UT

Here's a link to a video of our group on Tip-over Challenge Hill on Hells Revenge Trail. I have open diffs and when I saw the trouble the first two Jeeps had on the hill, I took my 31" tires down to 8 psi. In the video, you can hear the group at the top of the hill talking about my chances of getting up the hill.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcX8FKV6XaA
                          KI6MLU

Comment

"He's gonna make it"(clapping)"Aahh....."

Good job Russ. I need to get out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                              " I need to get out there.
                              YES, YOU DO! AND I WANNA BE THERE WHEN YOU DO...
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X