Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Ord Mountains

Went out today with Roger (Blk CJ), John & Judy (Red TJ), Brandon & Michele (Gray 94YJ), Leann and Mary on quads. We trailered the quads to the trail head off Hwy247 and cruised up to the One Ton Mine area. We checked out the One Ton and Double AA #2 Mine. We hit some narrow shelf roads and through the sand wash to an overlook. Perfect clear weather as it warmed up into the 70's. Next we head back to our starting point and then to the Quill Spring area. I've been here before but not beyond the spring. We explored some mines and some new trails and them headed to the Spring. We opened and them closed behind us the gate at the spring. I'm told that this is to keep out the free range cattle. Another 1/4 mile and we found the Quill Tungsten Mine. This mine has about 400 feet of tunnels and we explored all of them. Very rare to find a Tungsten mine in this area. Next we traveled the narrow wash and trail as it climbed up and up till we hit the end of the trail at 5100' elevation. The view from up there was so awesome! There was a couple of steep loose areas on the climb and was worth the effort. This turned out to be another great day and there still is tons more to explore in this area. Thanks everyone!

Mitch

Old mining trail

John & Judy

Parking at the Double AA Mine

Quill Spring / Brandon & Michele

Quill Tungsten Mine and mill foundation

100 feet inside Quill Tungsten Mine

Lunch Time!

Awesome views / Looking north

Looking south back to Lucerne

Here's a couple of videos from the trip.

Old mining trail

Inside Quill Tungsten Mine

Roger coming down the hill

great88 going down hill

Brandon - John - Roger - going up a side hill

Comment

Great trip report and pics Mitch (as always!). It is an area I definitely want to explore later in the year.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Hey Mitch,Can I use the photo of the person in the cave entrance in next years Easter Bulletin at church? It would be a great with a "He has risen" caption don't you think?

We had a great trip. The other two Jeeps in our group are High desert residients that are not MJR members (yet!). I met John responding to an add on Craigslist.com for Jeep seats. Great people they are to run with. We had a great time.

The only sad part of the trip is that I had to ask Mitch to help me with a project at the house after the run. I needed help in grilling some rib steaks and eating them. They had been marinading for 2 days. He is such a good guy that he didn't hesitate to help me with the project.... such a sacrifice
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Great stuff, Mitch! Gotta get back out, gotta go....
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Roger,

Anytime that I can help you with a "project" I will. There are still several things to explore in that area. I'll be back out there soon. Hopefully Dave will be ready this Sunday (Hint Hint).

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
              Hey Mitch,Can I use the photo of the person in the cave entrance in next years Easter Bulletin at church? It would be a great with a "He has risen" caption don't you think?

We had a great trip. The other two Jeeps in our group are High desert residients that are not MJR members (yet!). I met John responding to an add on Craigslist.com for Jeep seats. Great people they are to run with. We had a great time.

The only sad part of the trip is that I had to ask Mitch to help me with a project at the house after the run. I needed help in grilling some rib steaks and eating them. They had been marinading for 2 days. He is such a good guy that he didn't hesitate to help me with the project.... such a sacrifice
              In these difficult financial times, we all have to pull together. And Mitch is a guy you can count on. Always ready to put on, I mean to pull his weight. What a guy, Kevin.

Comment

Another great trail report Mitch. I don't know how you can get out there so often.

Hope to join you on the trail soon...

Scott

Comment

Scott,

I just got back from the same area again today (6-01-08). PM when you are ready. These areas can be cruised by noon if you have other plans or we can go to a dozen mines if you have the time. Check out my new post: "More fun in the sun!"

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                  X