Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camping in big bear

im not sure where to post this , i was wondering if any one knew a good place in big bear or fawnskin area to camp with a trailer i also was thinking like ohv area
    :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

ray , i think some of the state camp grounds up there are first come first serve , not sure i'm also looking to camp up there this weekend

Comment

www reserve america you can book res. on almost all the state camp grounds
      "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" as said by those incapable of its proper application and as such suffer from it a lot.

Comment

Serrano is right up the road from fawnskin, we camped there a few weeks ago but you gotta' reserve a spot early.
        http://www.recreation.gov/camping/ma...ex=CampingSpot
        “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
        -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Are you wanting a campground or a spot in the wilderness? As far as campgrounds go Serrano is nice but I'd be surprised if it's not too late (likely booked). Hanna Flats (North of Fawnskin) is closed due to the fire and I think Big Pine Flats is also closed still (not burned though). Up Van Dusen Canyon @ the intersection with 3N16 is the Holecomb Valley campground. I think it's first come. It's a very basic campground, picnic tables and pit toilets. For what you get you're better off just camping in the forest. One advantage of campground though is being able to have a campfire.

For remote camping, there's a nice area 1/4 mile to the east of Holecomb Creek Campground. Room for plenty of rigs and lots of shade, just pull up a tree. Up behind Fawnskin there's a couple of places off of 3N12 towards to the top. This area is likely to be more busy than usual due to campground closures and other open area closures (due to fire). No campfires are allowed in any wilderness camps.
          '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

How big is your trailer and what are you pulling it with? With this info, we could narrow down your options.

One thing though, (I shouldn't give away my secret) If you can leave on Thursday you can just about get in any campground that has first come first served areas.
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

be aware of the rules on green stickered vehicles if taking any with you.
              USFS, DFG, and others will stop you and cite you if you're on a non green sticker route with your toys.
              Prolly best to get a current map.

Comment

Hey the weather is going to be nasty in Big Bear through the weekend. NWS is calling for snow and T-storms. It should be a fun weekend! Just be prepared for it.

I'm toying with the idea of throwing some camping stuff in my Jeep and camping out in the middle of nowhere maybe Sunday & Monday.... I don't think my bride will be too keen on the idea though, unless I give in and bring the trailer.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  How big is your trailer and what are you pulling it with? With this info, we could narrow down your options.

One thing though, (I shouldn't give away my secret) If you can leave on Thursday you can just about get in any campground that has first come first served areas.
                  my trailer is about 26 ft pulling it with a titan

Comment

look's like i might head up to big bear early and try and find a first come first serve spot ......

Comment

yea im gonna try to ,or the round up at stodarded wells i was thinking it would be to hot in the desert hopefully big bear

Comment

ha ray , i going to try barton flats first on the way up and then others by big bear if there's nothing availble at barton , i'm also going to sign up for the big bear forest fest june 13 and would like to try and hit some of the trails they have scheduled this weekend , if you want to hook up and try some i'll pm you my cel #

Comment

yea thats cool sounds good

Comment

Working...
                          X