Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions

Hey folks, I was wondering if you could suggest some trails that are good for STOCK tj's and newbies. I really enjoy the trails now that i've been trying them, I'm more used to sand.
    The tj is not lifted and it has stock tires.
    ~ Dos Tacos Mas, Porfavor!

LCIR (Los Coyotes Indian Reservation) in Warner Springs is a place you can have a great time at with a stock TJ. Look at some of the threads in this forum talking about it.

I took my YJ when it was 100% stock there and had no problems. I have a few friends with stock TJ's and they have no problems running all over LCIR.

Almost all the trails have a by-pass to them so if it's something you can't do or don't want to try you can simply go around. It's a great place to learn the abilities of your Jeep.

I go up there alot with a group of other Jeepers i work with. We just went yesterday and had a great time. There were only 4 of us so we got to see alot more of the area then we normally do with our usual 6-10 Jeep group.

My one friend suffered the only damage of the day and it was minor. He grenaded a u-joint on his front driveshaft on one of the main roads on our way to Ladybug Lane. It happened at the begining of our day and was an easy trail repair. His CJ just got a new Currie HP 9" rear, and this was it's maiden voyage. His Jeep has been down for several months so only suffering a u-joint failure was a success in the grand scheme of things.

My wife went with me on this trip and snapped about 4 rolls of film, pictures to follow once i get them all uploaded.

You could also look into Big Bear, i have never been there, but i have several friends who have and they have told me that stock Jeeps can wheel there with very minor problems as well.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]1992 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

4.5" RE XD Suspension Lift
    AA SYE/ Tom Woods Custom Driveshaft
    15X8 Black Rock Crawler Rims
    33X12.50 Goodyear MTR's
    FlowMaster 40 Series Delta Cat-Back Exhaust
    Cobra 29 Classic C-B Radio Tweaked & Peaked w/ 4' K40 Antenna
    RE Hand Throttle
    Optima Red Top
    K&N Filter [/color]

Comment

thanks man, i'll put that on my agenda... i was a little hesitant about going there because i've seen some hairy pictures from there... but i will not fear.

Comment

Get Wells Guide

Rowher flats is a fun and challenging trail. It's a bit easier now, I understand, as they have regraded it. It's a bit of a shlep for you in San Diego.

Try picking up a copy of Wells Guide to Southern California Backroads and 4 Wheel Drive Trails. Pretty comprehensive. My personal experience that the rating system is fairly conservative (so don't worry about trying some of the harder trails in the book).

You may be able to find it locally instead of ordering on the Internet. I found mine at the local Army-Navy store.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

thanks jm.... nice license plate!

Comment

LCIR is where I dumped my Jeep on its side, but that was entirely my fault for not taking the bypass. I thought I could follow another Jeep on 31s and no lift. I didn't factor in the ability of the other driver.

Some of the spots there are challenging that do not have bypasses, but you can make it through without scraping up too much. Much of LCIR comes down to driver ability. Good drivers can pretty much go anywhere in any Jeep, less experienced drivers need to take bypasses.

I had fun at Rowher. It is a pleasant drive for a stocker. There is one very steep hill that I decided not to descend and took the bypass.

But this is just my sideways point of view.

Comment

hey, nothing ventured nothing gained, right?
              or, as our guvner says, "NO PAIN NO GAIN" I'll give LCIR a try over the holidays

Comment

Re: Get Wells Guide

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                Rowher flats is a fun and challenging trail. It's a bit easier now, I understand, as they have regraded it. It's a bit of a shlep for you in San Diego.

Try picking up a copy of Wells Guide to Southern California Backroads and 4 Wheel Drive Trails. Pretty comprehensive. My personal experience that the rating system is fairly conservative (so don't worry about trying some of the harder trails in the book).

You may be able to find it locally instead of ordering on the Internet. I found mine at the local Army-Navy store.
                I agree, rowher is a good trail and shouldn't be a problem for any stock jeep.

Comment

Re: Get Wells Guide

Originally posted by jmbrowning

I just read the website. You are right. Conservative. They listed Goler Wash as Difficult. That's where they send all the baby 4x4s during Panamint Valley Days. I went on 27" tires and a brand new Tahoe went on street tires. No problema.

Comment

Working...
                  X