Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fry Mountain to Fairview Valley

As if 6 hours yesterday with Roger wasn't enough, I met Dave (Flatpoint) and Co-Pilot Kelly this morning for a little run back through the Fry Mountains and over to Fairview Valley. Dave and I found several mines in this area that we missed last trip. It is amazing that there are dozens of mines and every trip we find more. Neat narrow shelf roads with hand stacked rocks that were made years and years ago.

We left this area and headed back towards the dry lake (and a very clean bathroom). I was on a mission and Dave and Kelly found a 2 foot Mojave Green along the edge of the dry lake while I was tied up. It looks like they (Mojave Greens) are out in force this year. They watched from a distance and then we headed towards "Hercules Finger". This is a verticle column of rock that sticks straight up in the air.

Next we headed towards Hwy 247 and took Johnson Road over the hill to Fairview Valley. We cruised around and checked out a couple of mines including "Red Top Mine".

We parted ways back at Hwy 18 and Central in Apple Valley where we met at 7:30am for gas. 94 miles of fun today! Thanks Dave and Kelly!

Looking for new mines / Fry Mountains

Dave and Kelly

Another mine that we missed last time

Old mining roads - Fry Mountains

Ice Cream Truck in the desert / Music playing and all!

"Hercules Finger"

"Balanced Rock"

Johnson Road heading west from Hwy 247

Amazing colors

Dave climbing

Old water storage / Red Top Mine

Old mill foundations

As always, a GREAT time,Mitch.
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

nice pics! i I like the Hercules finger!
      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

great stuff!

Nice pics Mitch looking forward to wheelin with you again!
        Best, Max7
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

WOW! Looks like you guys hit some stuff I didn't know about! DANG IT! How have I missed the *finger*?!?

Did you guys find the old railroad car?

It's nearly Due East from Red Top on the other side of the lakebed.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

Crash,

It seems that every time we go out to an area, we keep finding new things. I have not seen the old rail car yet. It's now on my "let's find it" list.

Thanks

Comment

I could give you GPS Co-ords... but that'd take the fun out of it.

Here is a screen shot from Google Earth.

(HINT- What I said earlier is accurate)

If you look over on the left you will notice several large circles forming a target. During WWII this was used as a bomb target and the area is still littered with the rusted remains of practice bombs.

As for the Caboose... it's right over there.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

What is this? Geo-casheing without a hint??

But I think I have located it!
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Crash,

Thanks, I know where to look next time that I'm out there. The Rings are part of what was called Victorville Precision Bombing Range used from 1943 - 1947. The scattered debris is the remains of smokebomb canisters and fuses that were attached to the lid (Top). These were about the size of a 1 LB coffee can. I have located 8 other locations and will add this to my list.

Thanks,

Mitch

Comment

I have also checked out a few other ranges in the area, but some of the practice bombs I've seen are larger and filled with concrete. The one below's over four feet long.

Some of these locations are being bulldozed to make room for new houses. Little by little we are covering over our history with urban sprawl. Shame really.

Ride'on,

~CRASH!~

Comment

Working...
                    X