http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/news/index.html

San Bernardino Nat'l Forest Homepage:
    http://www.sbnfa.org/

CA DOT Road Closures: 800/427-ROAD
    http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/

Big Bear Info, Camping Reservations: 877/444-6777
    http://www.bigbeardiscoverycenter.com/

RANGER STATIONS
    Big Bear Ranger Station: 909/866-3437, North Shore Dr., Hwy. 38, Fawnskin, 92333
    Arrowhead Ranger Station: 909/382-2782, 28104 Hwy. 18, Skyforest, 92385

National Weather Service for BB Lake:
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/CA...=Big+Bear+Lake

Vehicle Access in the Forests:

The National Forest Adventure Pass is required for vehicles parked on National Forest land for recreation. Bicyclists, visitors walking onto the Forest from adjacent lands, and sightseers driving through the forest without parking may all enjoy their National Forests without purchasing a pass.

You can get a $5 daily pass. The pass covers all occupants of the vehicle. The annual Adventure Pass ($30) or the Golden Eagle Passport ($65) may be purchased by mail or phone. You may also purchase a secondary vehicle sticker with your purchase of either of the above products for an extra $5.

There are also many local vendors in and around the forests that sell the passes, you just have to watch for them.

Get your National Forest Adventure Pass
    Last edited by sarah; 12-25-03, 08:22 PM.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

If you get the adventure pass you can get one additional sticker for $5.00 for your other car.
    Also they don't stick very well, better to hang em on the mirror.

P.S. don't be cheap- it supports the rangers!!!
    Kirk
    1997 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Cool ,
      When did they start the Second Vehicle sticker thing ? pretty cool for those of us with 2 jeeps !!

JIM :{>

Comment

Second Sticker

The forest service started the second sticker program sometime last year. The idea is that if you tow your Jeep up to the mountains you will need a sticker on both your tow vehicle and your Jeep.

If you drive up then you and your buddy can get together and save some cash.

Comment

i need one of those stickers tooo. not that i have ever had a problem without it
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Forest stickers? You need stickers to go to the forest!!! woah, the only passes we have up here is to get onto the lakes in the valley, everything else is free to go to.
            It's frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody bothers to ask you the questions

Comment

you need them, but you don't. we've only been "caught" not having one once, and we weren't even stopping so it didn't matter. it seems as more of a way to just help out for using the land.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

The Forest Adventure Pass is only required if you stop and "recreate". If you are just driving on forest roads then you do not need it. If you stop for lunch and a ranger comes by he could site you. The funds collected from the passes helps supplement the state funds for maintaining the forest.

There are rangers that patrol the forest looking for passes and their wages are paid from the pass money. The best bet is to get an annual pass for $30.00. With the annual pass you can get an additional annual pass for $5.00. The intent is to allow you to have a pass on your tow vehicle as well as your off-road vehicle. If you drive your vehicle to the forest then you and a friend can go in together to split the cost.

P.S. The daily pass is $5.00, If you get sited for not having a pass you need only to purchase a daily pass and mail it in to prove you purchased one. Also, the last Saturday of each month is a "Free" day. This was done to insure that low income families can still enjoy the forest.
                Last edited by MIKE89YJ; 07-10-03, 06:08 AM.

Comment

very informative, mikey. do you work for the forest service?
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I don't work for the forest service but I am a volunteer for the forest service. The San Bernardino National Forest Association has a OHV program that helps educiate off-roaders in the the sport of off-roading as well as help the forest service patrol the back roads.

See this web page - http://www.sbnfa.org/ohv.htm

Comment

well.. you know.. if someone had a scanner and a access to a sticker-printer.. wait.. do we know anyone like that????

frankly.. the adventure pass is a ripoff.. we already pay for all NFS funding through our fed taxes.. would take almost nothing to double the NFS's budget through congress.. it's already been overturned as illegal taxation by one federal judge. It's also only really in a 'trial' period in the Southern California National forest regions anyway to my knowledge.. maybe one or two other national forests outside the area are experimenting with it..

now.. i did buy one, and i didnt see any real improvement in services in my area of the nat. forest.. just closures. The only real benefit i see to owning a adventure pass is not having to deal with the 'iron ranger' at pay campsites.
                      beer.. the cause of, and solution to.. all of life's problems. Come find me. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000361801890

Comment

Originally posted by EvilPsych
                        frankly.. the adventure pass is a ripoff.. we already pay for all NFS funding through our fed taxes..
                        Unfortunately, most of our taxes go to pay for stupid research (which ketsup is runnier), foreign dictators who have something our corporations want, weapons to keep said dictators in line and raises for Congress.

Rare does a tax dollar go toward something that is helpful (healthcare, daycare or libraries) or beautiful (our forests and wild areas).

The rangers are doing the best they can with what little is given to them.

Comment

Working...
                        X