Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishpan Re-Opening

Finally got the opportunity to give back a little after all the years of enjoying the forest. Malachi and I meet up with the US Forest Service Volunteers at the North Shore OHV Work Center about 8:30 am. Turned out to be a great day in the forest. There was a huge turn out; I couldn’t even count all the vehicles. After a quick meeting the group broke up into two groups with some starting at the bottom and some starting at the top. The plan was to meet at the waterfall for lunch. The trail was blocked with several trees, which were no match for a chainsaw, a winch, and a little muscle. Over all the forest is recovering nicely with all the rains we have had. Shouldn’t be long before we see some more opening (I hope).
    Safety Meeting

Dishpan officially open.

As soon as we got on the trail it was work time.

This isn't even a third of the vehicles.

My poser shot.

After clearing about six trees of the trail we made it to to top of the waterfall. This area has seen a lot of erosion. The small "V" at the top of the fall is now a large "V".

After we all made it down we meet up with the other group and a great lunch provided by Psycho Hummers.

After lunch we headed out but not before a quick stop at the bridge.

Heres a couple of off topic shots.

Again, what a great day. I took a ton of photos(as usual) but Photobucket isn't working to good for me right now. Here are some more of the pics I took.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pen/?start=all
    Last edited by dirtman13; 03-17-08, 08:26 AM.
    Check out .

Great news, and great pics! Thanks for sharing!!
    -Bob
    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Holcomb?? I thought it was scheduled for DishPan....

Nice pic's.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
        Holcomb?? I thought it was scheduled for DishPan....

Nice pic's.
        Doh!! :homer: Brain fart. You are correct. Sorry about that. Sarah..help! Can you change the title.
        Check out .

Comment

Great report. Thanks to all the volunteers for all the hard work.
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
            Doh!! :homer: Brain fart. You are correct. Sorry about that. Sarah..help! Can you change the title.
            I'm not but I fixed it for ya! Thanks Chuck and Mike for representing those of us who were there in spirit! Good work guys!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Thanks for the pics and report Chuck! If you submitted (or need to submit) hours for MJR, let me know, I'm keeping track.
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                I'm not but I fixed it for ya! Thanks Chuck and Mike for representing those of us who were there in spirit! Good work guys!
                Thanks Matt. Like I said someday you would pay me back for the gas. I think we're even now.
                Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                  Thanks Matt. Like I said someday you would pay me back for the gas. I think we're even now.
                  Apples/Oranges...

Chuck - 1
                  Me - 0

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
                    Off topic, but...have you reached MODERATOR status???
                    -Bob
                    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by steelman View Post
                      Off topic, but...have you reached MODERATOR status???
                      Keep this thread on topic please. :devil:

Comment

More Photos!

Nice report Chuck. I had problems with Photobucket last night too, so this is the first chance that I have had to post.

The snow made things fun and beautiful, but what Dirtman didn't tell you is that we almost lost him off the side of the 18 on the way up!:

It was a huge turn out in spite (or maybe because) of the snow. Dirtman13 and I headed to the top of the trail because the most trees were reported to be there. 3N16 was untraveled before our group got there:

We had to clear one tree even before we got to the gate:

Here's Greg Hoffman officially unlocking the gate and then locking it OPEN:

No tracks and ready to be worked on:

There were lots of downed trees, but the group that showed up obviously showed up to work because everyone helped:

The forest was burned, but not cleanly. The damage was sad, but the snow made it take on a different look:

Going downhill, the toughest obstacle was the falls of course. With only a few mishaps, we all made it down:

After lunch, the AAT representative for DirtDevils and Gregg Hoffman thanked the crew and Greg declared the trail to be officially open to the public. That gentleman standing next to Gregg in the OHV Volunteer uniform is our very own Danabee!:

Greg was the only chainsaw certified operator so on the way down the rest of the trail, we cleaned up a few items that the uphill crew had to leave behind:

The snow was melting off quickly. It was cool to see the creeks flowing with water:

And Deep Creek had plenty too:

It was a lot of fun even though it was a lot of work. When we plan to do this for Holcomb Creek, we will definitely want to have more certified chainsaw users!

The rest of my pics can be seen at this link:
                        http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ned%203-16-08/
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                          Thanks for the pics and report Chuck! If you submitted (or need to submit) hours for MJR, let me know, I'm keeping track.
                          Hey if we can really submit hours for this, then mark me down for 8 hours.
                          [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                          Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

It was great to finally meet you both. The pictures came out really good. We had a lot of fun even though it was a little nerve racking for me in a few spots.

Comment

It's good to see Dishpan open. Does anyone know the status of Holecomb (3N93)? I'm guessing it's still closed, but what are the odds of it being opened this year? The last time I was in Fawnskin 3N14 was still closed. Any updates on this road? I was searching the SBNF web site but didn't find anything. Thanks...
                              '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

Working...
                              X