Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fry Mountain Mines

Well today was a wonderful day wheeling north/east of Lucerne. Dave and I went ran north from Hwy 18 on Camp Rock Road to the Fry Mountains. There is a line of old gold mines that run straight across the ridge of Fry Mountain. We found a nice wood lined shaft and small ore grinder at the first spot, but It was so cold with the overnight snow that we didn't hike up the hill to further explore. Next we went up a tight windy canyon to the "Cold Fear Mine". These spots are so remote that the vandals haven't destroy them yet. Several vertical stafts and a cool tunnel, but Dave got the "Cold Fear" and did not venture down the slope into the tunnel. We left the canyon and traveled back out and headed north 1 mile to another canyon filled with the MOST awesome mine tunnel. We walked in 300 feet and the tunnel split to the left and to the right. We went left and found a wood encased shaft that went down about 70 feet. We did NOT climb down the old wooden ladder. Dave continued on another 100 feet to a second vertical but this time it had a steel ladder going down. I was getting a little wierd being so far in the mine that it was time to split. More to explore for sure! Next we cruised north another mile and up a tight windy sand wash/canyon about a mile to the Ultimate mining tool. We found a near perfect wooden arrastra along with several more mine shafts. Another area that we didn't have time to fully explore. There will be a posted, though limited mine exploring trip in a couple weeks.

Wooden mine shaft off the North Fry Mountain area.

Small arrastra/ore crusher North Fry Mountain

Dave going to the "Cold Fear Mine"

Awesome remote canyons and trails

Approaching Cold Fear Mine / Beautiful Day!

The "Cold Fear Mine"

Dave caught the Cold Fear and did not go any further!

This mine is so very cool. By far the best that I've gone into. 300 feet inside the tunnel split left and right. We went left 100 feet and found a wood lined shaft that went down another 70 feet to another level. We DID NOT climb down the old ladder. I needed to get out at this point so we left.

Wash going to the Holy Grail Arrastra!

There it is! This is so neat to see things that haven't been destroyed.

It is amazing that there were miners out here that long ago / And no Jeeps!

Wow what a cool trip Mitch. Like to go with you on your next exploration. it will be next month till I get the Cruiser togrthrt again. motors shooting water out of the #7 cylinder. time to pull her down, Kevin.

Comment

This was one of the BEST trips yet! The desert with snow rocks! Glad we found what we set out to find! Mine tunnel was the S£$T! Kelly really enjoyed the trip, app. your comments, flattered. Dont rate the day as "easy", Mitch, you did some stuff today. Just keep on trying, and "doing"!!!!!
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Great report Mitch. Looks like you guys had a great time. You need to get a GPS so you can send the waypoints to me.
        Check out .

Comment

You can check out the rest of my photos at:

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/great88jeep/

Album: Fry Mountains 3-16-08

Comment

Working...
          X