Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shredder Canyon

Wow! Shredder ROCKS!

Sharon and I got invited to join Andrew & Shari (Double AA), Stuart (Jeep Virgin), and Andrew's friends, Mike & Kim for a run on the Shredder Canyon trail near Lake Los Angeles, CA.

The trail is very short and very intense. My guess is that is is barely a mile long, if that. But it is chocked full of cool obstacles and great terrain.

I was late catching up to the group but I joined them as they were starting the trail. It was probably a good thing that Mr. Green went last because it took us more time to negotiate the obstacles and I could watch the more capable rigs do the trail first to pick the best line for my Jeep.

The first hill is hard to portray the same way it looks from behind the wheel, but it is an attention getter:

And it continues to get more interesting from there:

Apparently, not everyone has made it:

The trail is short, but has lots of cool terrain:

And some great views:

There are by-passes in a few spots. I only took two, but this was one of the spots that I decided to skip. It is near the end of the trail:

It had some special moments:

Looking back up the trail, this is what the other three came down:

At the bottom was the end of the trail. We turned around and the three Jeeps that came down went back up:

I took an easier by-pass:

On the way back, everyone but me took an extra credit line:

I had a hard enough time with the more traveled path, so I took no shame in that line.
    The views going back the other way are just as cool:

When we got almost to the end, the climb up just didn't seem as tough as going down:

But Mr. Green made it! Here we are coming back down the first hill we climbed at that start:

Andrew was the first off the trail and did some playing while I caught up:

It was a great day on a great trail! A big Thanks to everyone for inviting me. Thanks to Stuart for letting my friend Melanie ride along. It was her first time Jeeping on a tough trail (what a start!).

Only mild carnage, Mr. Green got a few new scratches on his rear fender flares (one is cracked now), and a few new dents underneath. Mike & Kim had a rear coil spring pop loose, but that was remedied. Pretty much that is it for damage on anything but skid plates.

The rest of my pics and the pics of my friend Melanie can be seen at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...-2-08/?start=0
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

A long story short...There use to be an annual event here, I worked the event as a medic. I got hooked on Jeeps from watching these guys run this trail. Someday, my Jeep will be up to making it through! So to me, this place is the birth of the bug that bit me!

Comment

those trails look pretty fun. Short but technical. nice pics!
      [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Mike,

Very cool pictures! Looks like a nice scenic area.

Comment

Wow, thanks for sharing... That trail looks glorious!
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

and just think...you only ran half of the trail and backwards (from what i can see in the pictures). The main trail is shape like a horse shoe. There is a second part of the trail that leads off to the west that not many people know about (its hard to see the line and i doubt anyone has run that part in a looong time). Last time i was out their I didnt see any tire marks in that area.

Stu (Jeep Virgin)

Once i get back from MOAB id like to make a quick run over their for a little testing of my new triple by-pass KING air shocks. Ill give you a call to set up a quick day run.

That trail has always been one of my favorite local trails. Looks like you guys had a good time.
            Last edited by KINGSIZE; 03-03-08, 04:55 PM.
            From A Champ To A Chump In Just One Bump!

Comment

Originally posted by KINGSIZE View Post
              and just think...you only ran half of the trail and backwards (from what i can see in the pictures). The main trail is shape like a horse shoe. There is a second part of the trail that leads off to the west that not many people know about (its hard to see the line and i doubt anyone has run that part in a looong time). Last time i was out their I didnt see any tire marks in that area.

Stu (Jeep Virgin)

Once i get back from MOAB id like to make a quick run over their for a little testing of my new triple by-pass KING air shocks. Ill give you a call to set up a quick day run.

That trail has always been one of my favorite local trails. Looks like you guys had a good time.

let me know i would love to hook up with you Robert.
              moon buggy
              5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep Virgin View Post
                let me know i would love to hook up with you Robert.
                Looks like we'll all be at Moab. Since I didn't get to be there for your Virgin Shredder run Stuart, I have to go on the next run. Beisdes, I want to see this "other half"...

See ya soon
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Nice pics and report Mike. Thanks for sharing.
                  Check out .

Comment

Nice lookin run! Great pic's! I might have to get over that way and check it out too!
                    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                      A long story short...There use to be an annual event here, I worked the event as a medic. I got hooked on Jeeps from watching these guys run this trail. Someday, my Jeep will be up to making it through! So to me, this place is the birth of the bug that bit me!
                      it's penciled-in to come back in April or May 09

Comment

Originally posted by bigV View Post
                        it's penciled-in to come back in April or May 09
                        I should have my gears and lockers installed by then! Great! Post up and I'll be there.

Comment

we pulled that Bratt out last time we were there - it was blocking the trail

Comment

Cool! I was wondering how the Brat got relocated. Rat Patrol told me that the had to drive on the thing to get by it on the last trip he made on the trail.

This was my first time through the area and I think that I have a new favorite trail.
                            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                            [/COLOR]

Comment

Nice!

Hey guys, looks like a great trail! Wish I could have been there! I had to be in Palm Desert for work. Hope to catch you next time, as it's not too far from me.
                              Best, Max7
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X