Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Strand Mine

Again, a wonderful day exploring the north east side of Lucerne Valley. Dave (Flatpoint), Mike (Daves neighbor)and his friend Kenny, and me, Mitch (great88) headed out from the Lucerne Chevron @ 8:00am. At my suggestion we headed out Hwy 247 to Bessimer Mine Road to check out the old Iron Mine area on the way to continue checking out the Silver Cliff Mine from last weekend. Well good intentions.... Bessimer is probly a good road for motorcycles, but it sucked driving hoop-d-doo's for 20 miles. Bessimer Iron Mine was a big operation once but it is a rather boring area. Finally we got back to the Powerline road and continued to the Silver Cliff and Silver Bell Mines. So much to explore here! Very cool. Lucky for me Dave noticed that my track bar was falling of the bottom mount, so we hammered and bailing wired it back in place. I stopped every couple of miles to check and hammer for the rest of the afternoon. Next we headed to an area that neither Dave or I had been to , but had read about in the Bill Mann Lucerne Book. A little Google Earth, A little topo work, and it was right where it was supposed to be. As we drove up from the sand wash there was a great old miners cabin (2 room into the hill). There are several mine tunnels, several shafts, and lots of "prospect" areas. There are 4 large containers for leaching of the copper from the ore. A very interesting area with much more to explore. So we cruised back to the smoother Camp Rock Road on the way home (Less Hammering on the track bar) Thanks, Dave, Mike and Kenny. I don't know how many best days ever that you can have, but here's another one!

Silver Cliff Mine

Lava flow and 40 Fwy looking north

Old mill site / Silver Bell Mine

Old Kiln

This is what we were looking for!

2 Room miners cabin / Copper Strand Mine

A Little bailing wire and a hammer

One of several mine tunnels in the area.

Copper leaching tubs

Dave, Mike, and Kenny checking out another mine

Come on in!
    Last edited by Mitch; 03-02-08, 07:56 PM.

cool pic thanks for sharing them. looks like a good time. wish i was there.
    ? why didnt you just take the bar off? i haven't ran them ever, just a thought.
    Last edited by 92yj; 03-02-08, 07:08 PM.

i want this jeep

Comment

Great stuff, next time, the Frys?
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Hey, Mitch, is that TAPE holding your axle tube to the diff. housing? must be one of those "4 wheeler" tricks.....

Comment

92yj,

I don't know what all is needed and can be thrown away. I flipped the u-bolts and tossed the swaybar. It rides a little funky (bob and weave) and I don't know what will keep it stable or make it more stable. But I have heard that the track bar can be removed. Still learning.

Dave, You know it's all about the tape and bailing wire!!!!!!

Comment

Mitch, I think your Jeep would have more "side to side" movement,feel more "sloppy", but you should ask the "leaf guys"

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              92yj,

I don't know what all is needed and can be thrown away. I flipped the u-bolts and tossed the swaybar. It rides a little funky (bob and weave) and I don't know what will keep it stable or make it more stable. But I have heard that the track bar can be removed. Still learning.

Dave, You know it's all about the tape and bailing wire!!!!!!
              cool. don't get me wrong i was just wondering, what works for one doesnt work for all.

i want this jeep

Comment

Working...
              X