Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday's Mine Tour

While it rained "Down the Hill", It was windy and dusty for todays mine tour. Meeting at the Lucerne Chevron @ 8:00am was Mitch (great88), Dave & Kelly (Flatpoint), Chuck & Alisha with Cody and Arron (Dirtman13), John (Chucks Father) and Jason & Mom Debra (CalFireGuy). We headed out to the One Ton Mine area first. Checked out a deep shaft, 2 mine tunnels, and scattered relics. Next we went to the Double AA Mine by way of a little cliff hanger trail that Dave had found. We explored the Double AA mine (200 feet deep) and then drove to a "overlook" via a small wash with a couple of baby crawler rocks. Next back to the highway for 8 miles and across the Ord Mountains to Troy Road and the Camp Skee. We explored the area and the small 75 foot tunnel and Old Miners cabin. Then it was off to the Rodman Mountain Petroglyphs. A nice walk through a lava canyon with 100's of petroglyphs. At this point it was off to the Silver Cliff Mine that was missed last weekend. This was the holy grail of mines. An Awesome wood ore hopper hanging over the side of a cliff and above the foundations of what was a large stamp mill. We explored for an hour but there is much more to check in this area! We left as it was getting late and would be getting dark soon. I led the way home including a wrong turn onto a edge of the cliff trail. A little scary turning around but it worked out. Jason and Debra led us back to the pavement on Camp Rock Road. 105 miles round trip back to the Chevron (82 miles dirt). Thank you all for a great all day trip.

One Ton Mine area

Chuck and family checking out the One Ton Mine

Jason high on the pass.

Dave, John, and Chuck

John and Arron (Chucks dad and son)

Double AA Mine

Camp Skee Mine

Miners Cabin

Rodman Mountains Petroglyphs

Silver Cliff Mine

Dave on the ore hopper.

Sunset on the way back

Air up time - Perfect day!!!
    Last edited by Mitch; 02-24-08, 09:35 PM.

man looks like fun wish i could have made it freaking work grrrrrr
    [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Great pics. Mitch, as always... Im thinking were just scratching the surface of finding whats out there! So much more to explore....
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Man that was fun...

Awesome,Awesome,Awesome day... Me and my mother had the best time ever with the greatest group of people. So amazed at what the desert has hidden once you get off the main roads. Moms was a little weary at first about some of the roads but later realized that everyone out there knew what they were doing and was able to relax and enjoy herself and the more of the sights. So looking forward to the next trip we can go on. THANKS to every one that made it for an AWESOME day.

P.S. Once I learn how to post pics I will do so.
        Last edited by CalFireGuy; 02-24-08, 10:33 PM.

Comment

cool pics thanks for sharing....
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Great stuff! Good pics Mitch. Looks like it was an excellent trip.
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Mitch,
              Thanks for sharing the pics. I really have to get out there. It reminds me of home...
              Rat
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

What a awesome day. We had a great time. Thanks guys. I will post pics tonight. I filled the card on one acamera and almost filled the card on the other.
                Check out .

Comment

I will set up another trip in a couple of weeks. There are several areas that Dave & I want to find and explore along with some previous areas not included in this last trip. Unfortunately these trips work best with small groups (4 to 5 vehicles). Turn around spots at some of the mines are a 20 foot spot on a tailings pile that is at the end of a narrow shelf road.

Thanks again to those that went out on Sunday!

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,

I know you want to limit the number of vehicles, so I'm putting in my reservation now!

BTW, LeAnne appreciated your comment!
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Sorry guys been really busy lately. Here is a link to some of my pics from the run. Thanks again. Had a blast.
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nes/?start=all
                      Check out .

Comment

Hey, Dirtman, GREAT PICTURES!!!! Nice macro work! A different look at Sunday.
                        :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Hey guys, That sure looked fun! I'd love to tag along too one of these times so, if you have room next time let me know! I have Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays off every week! I'm sure my buddy Dan would love to tag along too, if he's off work!

"Have Jeep, Will trail ride!"

Scott
                          "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Working...
                          X