Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Bell Mine Area

Easy but fun run today hunting down old mines in North Lucerne Valley. I met Dave (Flatpoint) at the Chevron in Lucerne and we cruised out Camp Rock Road to find Roger (Lucerne), his wife, and their friend Mary, who were all out camping for the weekend. Roger drove his CJ, while his wife and friend Mary rode a pair of quads. We went to Camp Skee and showed them the mine tunnel and the miners cabin in the cool little canyon. Next we drove to the Rodman Mountains petroglyph site and explored for a while. A bite of lunch and we were off to find the Silver Cliff and Silver Bell silver mines. This was the first time for each of us here. An interesting area with lots of old miner structures, foundations, an old smelter, water tanks, and an old ore processing plant foundation hanging over the side of a hill. I will have to return here for more exploring! It was 23 1/2 miles back to the pavement at Camp Rock Road in lucerne, dropping off Roger and company along the way. Another perfect day, Thanks Dave and Roger.

Mitch

Camp Skee

Miners Cabin

Rodman Mountains petroglyph area

Petroglyphs

Big Horn Sheep

Roger in thought

Old miners structure @ Silver Cliff Mine area

Old ore processing plant foundation

Old silver smelter / kiln

Looking north toward 40 Fwy (e/o Newberry Springs)

Dave / Roger

Mitch / Girls
    Last edited by Mitch; 02-17-08, 08:50 PM.

WOW, Mitch the pics look real cool. You will have to let me know where this is at I would to see it for myself. Maybe the next time your out I can tag along.

Comment

Jason,

It was great to meet you at Calico on Saturday! I have heard from several people that have requested a mine tour trip. I will set something up very soon and try to include up several locations to explore. You will be on the list for sure. I'll P.M. my contact info.

Comment

hey you know were are down mitch
        [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Well,

I always try to reseach an area before I go out so that we don't miss any of the cool things that are there. But when I got home something still stuck in my mind that we were missing. Between checking my topo program and Google Earth, sure enough we completely missed some of the best stuff that was just right around the corner (Huge wood ore hopper, Huge foundations for a stamp mill, and some more mine tunnels). Darn, I guess we have to go out again!

Comment

Mitch, You have to stop doing these mine trips when I'm not available. Great pics.:thumbs_up
            Check out .

Comment

Mitch is a great guy to go exploring this area with, he really does his homework before going.

We had a great time Mitch. I'm looking foreward to the next trip for sure! (as soon as I get freed up)
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

PLease let me know when when the next one is. I havn't been out there since I was a kid. My wife's never been out there. Would love to get out there with ya guys.
                An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

VVJEEP, Maybe the weekend after this one...
                  :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

That could work Im off next weekend
                    An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I wanna go!!!!!
                      "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Working...
                      X