Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoddard Valley

Tracy and I woke up Friday morning to a glorious sunrise on Soggy Dry Lake.

We broke camp and loaded up the Pearl and headed for Slash X. We were hoping to eat breakfast at Slash X but the restaurant was closed. We offloaded and hit the trails.

First stop was a small hill overlooking Slash X with a memorial plaque for John "Jack" Waldron" on it.

The memorial plaque was placed by The Checkers Off-Road Racing Team at N34° 46.046 W117° 01.686. John “Jack” Waldon was a BLM ranger that knew the rocky terrain of Barstow like the back of his hand. It is said: “there wasn't a rock, or cactus he hadn't seen in his travels”. Jack was well known, well respected, and well liked by the off-roaders, and other users of the public lands under his jurisdiction and believed that public land really is for the public, not just for the pleasures of the elitist few. Jack was often at odds with the department over the use of the land, “but there was very little in life that made a man happier than driving through the desert, and seeing racers, families, or even lone campers out there, enjoying the land that he'd fought to keep free”.

And this memorial was directly across from "Jack Waldron".

We drove part of the Pumpkin Eater trail and climbed a few hills.

We made our way to Outlet Center and then down to Wild Wash. We headed inland to Stoddard Well

We took Pole Line Rd back to Slash X and loaded up the Pearl and headed for Owl Canyon Campground.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Where is the Slash X? I've never been there.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
      Where is the Slash X? I've never been there.
      http://www.slashxranchcafe.com/
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Nice!

Originally posted by FishPOET View Post

The memorial plaque was placed by The Checkers Off-Road Racing Team at N34° 46.046 W117° 01.686. John “Jack” Waldon was a BLM ranger that knew the rocky terrain of Barstow like the back of his hand. It is said: “there wasn't a rock, or cactus he hadn't seen in his travels”. Jack was well known, well respected, and well liked by the off-roaders, and other users of the public lands under his jurisdiction and believed that public land really is for the public, not just for the pleasures of the elitist few. Jack was often at odds with the department over the use of the land, “but there was very little in life that made a man happier than driving through the desert, and seeing racers, families, or even lone campers out there, enjoying the land that he'd fought to keep free”.

And this memorial was directly across from "Jack Waldron".
        That's awesome, I love hearing about stuff like that! That is a great area. When I first came to California I worked on a Film "Drowning on Dry Land" (1999) that we shot at Slash X Cafe. That place is very cool! Good times.
        Best, Max7
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Doug,

Looks like another cool trip with some history behind it. Thats a fun area to explore when you research ahead of time. As always, great pictures.

Mike,

Slash X is right on Hwy 247 between Lucerne and Barstow. A very neat bar / restuarant with lots of funky character to it. Decent food and very COLD beer.

Comment

Working...
          X