Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years in Anza Borrego

Spent New Years in Anza Borrego with friends and family and what a great time we had. Started the weekend with a run thru Ocotillo to the Pumpkin Patch and Gas Dome. Found this tight wash on the way to the Pumpkin Patch

Pumpkin Patch

Gas Dome

At night we would take the kids out looking for Geocache.

The next day we woke up to a nice sunrise and the beginning of a great day in Anza Borrego.

We decide to take Split Mountain road over to Fish Creek. Fish Creek Wash has some awesome scenery.

After Fish Creek we made are way to the Mud Caves and a nice little climb up Diablo Drop Off.

The Mud Caves were quite a sight.

By this time it was getting late so we headed back to camp and would explore more the next day. We had planned on running Pinyon Mountain but the gas station at the Blu Inn was out of gas so we decided to go in to Salton Sea to get gas and explore the north side of the park. First on the list was the Calcite Mine area. This was a nice climb with some light challenging areas. The Calcite was mined in WWII and was used to make gun and bomb sights.

Here are some pics of one of the mined areas and a vein of Calcite.

View from the site overlooking Ocotillo.

After the mine we headed over to North Palm Wash to the Sheep Tanks.

After seeing one of three tanks we had lunch in the canyon and then started to head over to Vista Del Malpais. On the way out Scott (dr.dirty) had a little trouble with a rock and we had to pull him off.

After some desert racing through the soft washes we made to Vista Del Malpais. The view from this area is remarkable and the pictures don’t even come close to showing the true beauty of the view from here. 360 degrees of landscape over looking the Borrego Badlands.

It was starting to get dark and we had one more thing we wanted to see. The Slot. Again, some desert racing and we made it just before dark. Really would have liked to spend more time here. This thing seemed like it went on for ever.

By this time it was dark so we headed back to camp for dinner. After some great burgers we took the kids Geocaching again at night.

Scott’s daughter with her Geocache find.

Anza Borrego is beautiful area with so much to see I think you would need to be there for over a week to see it all. The rest of my pics can be seen here http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ego/?start=all
    and when I get the GPS cleaned up I will post some waypoints and tracks. Happy New Year!!!!
    Check out .

Barb and I have wanted to get down there ever since Borregofest 2005. But just no time. If you plan to head down there again after Feb, post up and if I have the time off we'll tag along!

Great report and thanks for the super photos!
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez View Post
      Barb and I have wanted to get down there ever since Borregofest 2005. But just no time. If you plan to head down there again after Feb, post up and if I have the time off we'll tag along!

Great report and thanks for the super photos!
      Most defiantly. So much we didn't get to see. Maybe we'll set something up in the spring. If they get a lot of rain should make for a scenic trip.
      Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
        Most defiantly. So much we didn't get to see. Maybe we'll set something up in the spring. If they get a lot of rain should make for a scenic trip.
        I've never been there in the spring, or more specifically the wild flower blooming season. Maybe a run up Lower Coyote Canyon would be very scenic. [If it's still open to the public]. Yea! Lets pencil it in.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
          After seeing one of three tanks we had lunch in the canyon and then started to head over to Vista Del Malpais. On the way out Scott (dr.dirty) had a little trouble with a rock and we had to pull him off.
          Scott... looks like you needed a little more skinny pedal and you would've made it.... to China...
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

me and the family had a great time and can't wait to go back yeah I wouldn't have got stuck if I would have seen the mountain in front of my diff haha but this will definately be a yearly trip for ne so much to see so little time maybe next time ill take the quads
            [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

awesome trip report! Thanx for the pic's and sharing such a great trip!
              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Great pic's and write up! Makes me want to go spend some time down there

Comment

Those are some really great pic,s Thank,s for them and the report...I would love to do that trail ..Looks awesome..Geeb
                  "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Thanks guys. It was a really great trip. I posted some maps and a gdb in the GPS section.
                    Check out .

Comment

well as usal my camera went dead and most off the other pics i took look a lot like dirtmans lol but heres a few im still uploading so ill post a link later ........

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Great Stuff! I really like the A-B area. You have pics of stuff that I haven't seen yet so I think that I will need to make an excuse to head down that way again soon.
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
                          well as usal my camera went dead and most off the other pics i took look a lot like dirtmans lol but heres a few im still uploading so ill post a link later ........
                          Nice pictures you two, looks like fun and thanks for sharing!!!
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Nice pictures Scott. Glad you got pics of me getting stuck in that little wash. I was a little worried I wasn't getting out of that.
                            Check out .

Comment

Great Pics and Story! I really need to spend more time down there!

Comment

Working...
                              X