Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 x 4 Mine exploring

Another excellent day chasing down old mines. Started off in Lucerne heading north on Hwy 247. About 15 miles north on 247 we turned east and went to a split in the mountain where the One Ton Mine area is. We passed the One Ton and continued on a narrow shelf road to the "Double A Mines" #1 and #2. These are two cool mines to explore. #2 splits at a "Y" at about 50 feet in. We drove down the hill to a nice tight sand wash before we left.
    Next we went to OM6640 and east 10 miles to the turn off for the Anita Mine. Neat area with a few dangerous tunnels at the ground level and a vertical shaft on top of the hill.

Next we traveled to the west side of "Ord Mountain". Dave insisted that this wasn't a hard climb, but I was doing the "Pucker" thing towards the top. We climbed 900 feet to the "Circle T" on a series of tight, loose switch backs with a little off-camber thrown in to keep me uneasy. At the top the view was amazing! This mine tunnel goes way back into the mountain. I did 75 feet and turned around. The first 2 switch backs were scary on the way down and I felt better by the time we got to the bottom.

We drove up "The Wall" on the way out, and right back down for fun and took the Gas Pipeline road back to Erickson Dry Lake. We found some neat rock formations to play on before we got to Camp Rock Road and left for home. Thanks Dave and Kelly.

Enjoy the pictures at:
    http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/great88jeep
    "Mine chasing"

Mitch
    Last edited by sarah; 04-23-09, 09:49 AM. Reason: user request

The photo bucket would not open the pics.

I would like to go in these explorations in the future.

Brett
    offroadwerkz.com
    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Thanks Brett,

Fixed!

Comment

That looks like a great trip. I have been to the One Ton Mine, but not the others. Looks like I will need to head back that way soon. If you have some other good mine exploring trips or ideas, you should post them. Maybe we could even start a thread that was specifically related to mine and ghost town exploring.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

As always, great time Mitch. GREAT pics! Your "doin" now. Water filled next? Its yours.....
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Hey Brian,

I've had a bunch of PM's about setting up a trip to the mines, but after we get to the mines most of them only have parking on the old tailing piles. Some of the parking is only big enough for 2 or maybe 3 rigs total. I've had to have Flatpoint Dave spot me just to turn around at the Maumee Mine. But I'm laying out a trip that will go to the larger areas. East of the One Ton Mine is a great series of narrow shelf roads and a couple of nice mines. Check out Google Earth for details.

Mitch

Comment

Mich, nice pics. Mine exploration is fun. Looks like you found some good ones.
              Check out .

Comment

awesome pictures. may have to join you guys next time.
                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                  Hey Brian,

I've had a bunch of PM's about setting up a trip to the mines, but after we get to the mines most of them only have parking on the old tailing piles. Some of the parking is only big enough for 2 or maybe 3 rigs total. I've had to have Flatpoint Dave spot me just to turn around at the Maumee Mine. But I'm laying out a trip that will go to the larger areas. East of the One Ton Mine is a great series of narrow shelf roads and a couple of nice mines. Check out Google Earth for details.

Mitch

I know what you mean about limited access. I belong to another group that does lots of mine exploring and researches the history as well. We should compare notes sometime and put together an interesting trip. If you pick an area you are interested in, I can look back at some of the previous histories and trips we have done to see if I can give you some new information or places to visit.
                  Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Working...
                  X