Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3N49 - Great Rock Formations

Trail Report for 3N49

I'm one of those guys that just likes to drive on dirt roads in my Jeep. If there is a trail that I haven't been on, well, I just have a burning need to find out where it goes. Many times I find dead ends and gates, but every now and then, you come across something interesting or cool. To me, 3N49 is one of those cool finds.

I first traveled this trail a month or two ago. I was alone and didn't have a camera, so I wanted to take Sharon to see it and we got the chance this afternoon.

The trail is an easy, 2WD trail that follows the power lines through some great terrain in the Cajon Pass.

We approached 3N49 from a trail that came up from the railroad tracks off of Kendall Avenue in the Cajon Pass. (Kendall Ave is an interesting road in itself since it used to be a four lane section of the famous Route 66.) The view as we started getting close to the trailhead was especially nice in the afternoon sun:

Just before the trailhead, we splashed through a small creek:

Then headed up the hill to the beginning of 3N49:

The sign has been uprooted:

The trail follows the power lines, so it is tough to get a pic that doesn't have a tower or line in it. Regardless, the views of the rock formations are interesting enough for me to ignore the invasive lines:

The trail climbs over a couple of ridges and through some great rock formations:

From of the top of the last ridge, there are some great views of the Cajon Pass and the I-15:

Of Cleghorn Trail:

And of the Mormon Rocks:

The trail then drops down to the 138 near the I-15. It is a great little trail that is narrow and winding. The trail is easy and doesn't require 4WD, but there are some steep climbs and tight shelf road spots. The whole trail can be ran in under an hour, but with us stopping for picks, we stretched it to about an hour.

Sharon and I ended our day by heading out 138 to the Silverwood Sushi and Grill:

I'm still amused that there is a good sushi joint in the middle of nowhere but is close to 3N49, Clehorn, and 2N17X. The Albacore was especially fresh and favorful tonight!

The rest of our pics can be seen at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...ginator=bottom
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

nice pics and wright up lol u know i seen that sushi bar to it looks like a cowboy place so you ait there . was it good ?
    :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by cbrazor1 View Post
      nice pics and wright up lol u know i seen that sushi bar to it looks like a cowboy place so you ait there . was it good ?
      Hey Ray! Yeah. Actually better than it should be considering where it is. It's not rock your world, but after a day on the rocks, it goes down REAL good!
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Hey Mike,

Nice report and photo's. Remember that this is in my backyard if you want some company. Went to Ord Mountains today, but this is 15 minutes from the house. Good seeing you and Sharron last weekend. I like the new avitar picture, it's almost like I've been there before.
        Last edited by Mitch; 12-16-07, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I was watching Blazing Saddles last night. Everytime I watch that, I think of the Mormon Rock area. Been meaning to explore that area again. Thanks for the incentive.

Comment

Power lines are fairly easy to take out of pictures like that using a rubber stamp tool.

GIMP/Photoshop both have a rubber stamp tool. Photoshop = $600... gimp = FREE!
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
            X