Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starbright Trail/Black Canyon Rd 12-30

We will be spending Saturday night 12-29-07 at the Owl Canyon Campground in Rainbow Basin.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/basin.html

Meet us at the campground on Saturday evening or on Sunday morning 12-30-07 no later than 8:30am or at the trailhead aired down and ready to go by 9am.

Trailhead is at Irwin Rd 9.5 miles northeast of Barstow at N34° 59.969 W116° 56.172

We stop many times and take pictures, go for short hikes, etc. Plan on lunch on the trail and finishing around 4pm.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Hey, I just found that place on Google Earth a month or so ago. It's on my list of places to go, but I think my weekend is full up this time round.
    Have fun, be safe.
    Kurt
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

How is the camping for a 32 foot RV?

Comment

Poet,

Black Canyon road is a great run through a sandy canyon with scattered petroglyphs and historical sites along the way.I've run that trail a couple of times and it's always fun. Good choice for a run!. Haven't been on Starbright but it looks like there are lots of things to check out. I hope that I can make it.

Comment

Originally posted by smack2020 View Post
          How is the camping for a 32 foot RV?
          I have never been to Owl Canyon Campground. Maybe someone who knows the campground can chime in.

Calico is less than 10 miles away and another option for camping.
          Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Thanks, I will check on Calico for camping.

Comment

From the looks of this pic of Owl Canyon CG

a 32' RV shouldn't have any problems. There are not any hookups and the campground does not have water.

Comment

Thanks, me and wife are trying to make plans to go. I hope we can make it, I will let you know when we know for sure.

Comment

Looks Great......... I will have to put the run into my plans next month. Count me in.

Brett
                  offroadwerkz.com
                  (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Hey, while you were out running around, did you see any birds, like Chuckars running around? Kevin

Comment

I'm planning on going.

Comment

I plan to be there for the run! I'm looking forward to this run as well as to running with Brett (Off Road Werkz) who hooked me up with my new new Jasper 4.2 motor and Howell Fuel Injection.

Mitch

Comment

There hasn't been much talk about this run lately, but I assume it's still a go? My plans for that weekend fell through and I would like to go on this run, but put me down as a 95% sure I can do this! Looking forward to running with you guys!
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

The run is a go. The only possible reason for cancellation would be a forecast of heavy rain and flash floods.

Comment

I looked up the trailhead on Google Earth (N34° 59.969 W116° 56.172) which is the intersection of Irwin Rd & Old Yermo Cut-off Rd. I didn't find anything named Starbright Trail/Black Canyon Rd. Where are we going from that point? I've done some exploring out that way and I really love that area!
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X