Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Jeep Trail (118 to Lockwood to Miller)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Jeep Trail (118 to Lockwood to Miller)

Alright everybody, this is my first trail report so be nice!!! I just bought a digital camara on Friday and figured I'd test it out on the trail. It was just Josh (calduc) and I (no Turbo this time) . . . we started off to the Lockwood trailhead and quickly were informed that the trail was closed by a group of disappointed Jeepers . . . we pressed on to see for ourselves and noticed that there was a bridge being built at the waterhole that leads to the Lockwood trailhead. Luckily, I recalled that West Frazier Mine #118 ends behind the bridge . . . so off we went! The 118 trailhead is about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile above the Ranger Station. 118 is very easy but scenic and a nice warm up!

118 West Frazier Mine Road Trailhead

Josh cruising

118 West Frazier Mine Road Trailend

. . . to be continued (let's see if this works first!!!)

Part 2 . . .

After making it thru West Frazier Mine Road #118, we were off to the Lockwood Trailhead.

Lockwood trailhead . . . you can see the trail going up the mountain.

The trail starts off with a scenic water crossing, but due to the fire, this is the last scenic spot for a while.

Seeing that we had to take the West Frazier Mine Road detour, we decided to save Yellow Jacket for another day and pressed on up the hill.

Pretty big hill . . . needed two pics!

Schmo doing the "Squeeze".

Josh lining up for the "Squeeze" . . . the pics don't show the cliff on the right . . . which persuaded Josh to hug the left giving him a bit of rock rash on his passenger rear fender flare.

Another scenic water crossing.

We stopped at the picnic area for lunch and the Toyota is still there but has been striped down pretty well . . . soon to look like the Chevy on Rowher, I'm sure!

A nice view from the picnic area.

As we stopped for lunch, a group headed off for the trail with a Jeep, and old Ford F350 that was custom built for off-roading, and a red stock Ford F350 4x4. Didn't take us long to catch up with them!!!

The old Ford's drive shaft came apart on the 2nd to the last climb on Miller. Luckily, he was able to remove the drive shaft and back down the hill to let us by while he put it back together.

Jeeps patiently waiting to conquer the rocks that beat up the Ford!

The sun was going down quickly and I totally forgot to snap some pics of the Miller Trailhead (or end). We headed off for the southern Gorman exit off the 5 on Smokey Bear Road which is a good distance from the trailhead. There's a nice spot right off the freeway to air up and reconnect and even a dude selling hotdogs and sodas!!!
    Last edited by Schmo; 11-25-07, 02:27 PM.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Schmo,, thanks for the pic,s and the report..Damn sorry I missed it .Those pic,s of the Squeeze are some of the best I,ve seen..And boy they sure are taking that truck apart fast..LOL..when I was up there not that long ago it had wheels and tires..Looks like a fun time ..Thanks Geeb/Geebo
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Lookin' good! Lots of people are too lazy to post reports (me)... I really appreciate those who do! Good work Schmo!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Wow. Nice pics Joe! Great report too. I haven't done Miller yet. Sorry that I didn't get to go with you. Hopefully we can run it together soon.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
          Wow. Nice pics Joe! Great report too. I haven't done Miller yet. Sorry that I didn't get to go with you. Hopefully we can run it together soon.
          Hey Mike,

I can't hold a match to your trail reports!!! As far as running Miller, you tell me when and I'll be there. Hope to see you and Sharon soon!

Comment

Calduc's Pics

Here are a few of the pics that Josh had taken:

This is the parking area at the West Frazier Mine #118 Trailhead . . . great place to disconnect and air down.

There's a little turn out off the 118 that looks like a good spot to camp . . . and park!

One of many nice views from the 118.

A view of the Lockwood entrance from the main road after 118.

This is where the Ford broke.

Here's a nice pic of the Miller Jeep Trailhead.

This is the area right off the Smokey Bear Exit. Great place to air up and reconnect.

Comment

Great trail report, Joe, you rock!
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Nice report Joe. DId you guys offer to tow that old Ford out of there? F250 recovery team...

Kurt
                [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Good job on the report. I tried to make the run but im in the process of moving to Phoenix.
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay off of Kurts foot!

Comment

Nice report Joe. Another trail to add to the list. Man, I need to get out more my list is getting so long.
                    Check out .

Comment

Thanks everybody . . . I've still got a long way to go before my reports look like Malachi's or Russ Chung's, that's for sure!!! Sounds like a few of you have yet to run Miller . . . Check out Highway 420's post under the trail runs section as we might be back up there this weekend.

Comment

great pics and good report joe wish i would of went
                        :gun:im a outlaw baby:gun:

Comment

I was told that the Point Magu 4x4 Club was up on Miller this weekend removing the Toyota that had rolled. Last time I was up there, it had no wheels, etc . . . I wonder how they did it.

Comment

I heard the same thing from a couple guys that did it yesterday in the snow, i passed them in there HUGE amazing rigs and they said they were hauling out the truck... i wondering if they just parted it up?
                            02' TJ 4.0 5 speed, Atlas II transfer case, 4.5 RE, 33" BFG, Dana 44 Rear, Detroit front/rear

Comment

Some recoveries work to get parts together where people volunteer parts to get it 'rolling' again... Imagine a post like "I've got 3 tires.... I've got one... I have a knuckle" until you've got what it takes to roll the vehicle out.
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X