Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Valley Trails

I'm going to heading up to Visalia for Thanksgiving and Oakdale (30 mins outside of Modesto) for Xmas and was hoping to do some wheeling. Unfortunately, most of the trails that I've heard/read about are going to be closed (snow) when I'll be up there. Anybody familiar with these areas know of any cool trails that will be open when I'm up there?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

The only trail open in the winter is Bald MT. We do snow runs there all the time. I won't be available over Thanksgiving, but let me know when you will be here over xmas, and I will set something up.

I just reread your post. Oakdale might be a little far for you over xmas, but I will set something up if you want. Bald is in the Sahver Lake area NE of Fresno.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

You could take a drive up to Mineral King. Its not challenging at all but a nice drive to about 9000ft. Its east of Visala up 198 to the turnoff. The forest service does not close roads until after thanksgiving.

Comment

There is allways Clear Creek, in Colinga. Mles and miles of trails. But not sure if its open right now, but probably.

Comment

Thanks gus! 4Point-Just might have to check out Mineral King if I get out over Thanksgiving, I'd bet there are some really scenic areas up there, is this one of them? How far is the trailhead from Visalia (off Moody by the college)? I'll probably be alone unless somebody wants to join me, should I be fine?
          IGoFshn-Not sure what I'll be doing for Xmas yet but let me know if you are going to be running Bald Mtn around that time and maybe I could meet you on my way up or coming back.

Comment

Its been years since I have been there. The road is maintained and paved in sections. There are (were?) cabins up there. You have to drive up the canyon a little ways to the turn off, the actual mileage I'm not sure of. I went up on my way to a hike to the top of Sawtooth Mnt. It's a short hike with astounding views of the Little Kern plateau/drainage. I'll see what I can find as far as directions.

EDIT: You take Mineral King Dr. out of Three Rivers.
            Last edited by 4point; 11-18-07, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Hoping to get a little wheelin' in this weekend while I'm up in Oakdale. Did some checking on-line and called the local ranger station and was told that there is a place by Coulterville called Date Flats that is open and there might be some trails in Groveland . . . I'm really just looking for something realitively easy, hopefully beautiful, where being out there by myself on new trails in a basically stock Rubi won't be a concern. Planning to meet up with a friend from Oakland to go wheelin' so if anyone knows of any cool areas around Oakdale or maybe heading toward Oakland . . . let me know. Will probably be heading out Sun 12/23 if anyone wants to meet up.

Comment

Hey Schmo, the Northern Cali Charles Wells book shows several trails near Oakdale and Sonora. The closest is called Dodge Ridge, rated easy, and is off of hwy 108. There are two moderate trails: Eagle Peak and Corral Hollow. There is also a difficult trail called Slickrock Trail, but it may be above the snow line this time of year.
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                  Hoping to get a little wheelin' in this weekend while I'm up in Oakdale. Did some checking on-line and called the local ranger station and was told that there is a place by Coulterville called Date Flats that is open and there might be some trails in Groveland . . . I'm really just looking for something realitively easy, hopefully beautiful, where being out there by myself on new trails in a basically stock Rubi won't be a concern. Planning to meet up with a friend from Oakland to go wheelin' so if anyone knows of any cool areas around Oakdale or maybe heading toward Oakland . . . let me know. Will probably be heading out Sun 12/23 if anyone wants to meet up.
                  This area is off Dogtown Road in Coulterville. It is very easy mostly just steep hills to climb and descend.
                  :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by medicmahem View Post
                    This area is off Dogtown Road in Coulterville. It is very easy mostly just steep hills to climb and descend.
                    I assume there won't be any snow up there, but what about mud? Are the hills so steep that I may have some issues if it's wet, or is it pretty tame?

Sounds like I'll have to be sure and pack my Wells No Cal edition - thanks Mike!

Comment

Carnegie

Anybody heard of a place called Carnegie which is supposed to be in the Tracy/Manteca area??? Any nice trails out there?

Not sure there are even Jeep Trails as I've only found M/C and Quad areas online.
                      Last edited by Schmo; 12-21-07, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X