Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOLY COW!!! Closing MOAB?

Found this so far; on rockymountainextreme.com :

The BLM's Moab Field Office has released their Draft Resource Management Plan (DRMP) and Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS). The combined document is available online.

This document will determine how recreation is permitted in the Moab area for the next 20+ years.

Here is a link to there "Dear Reader" page:

This page gives a brief overview of the 4 alteratives:

This page is a more in depth look at the alteratives (1-good, 2 very bad, 3-ok, 4-good (In my humble Jeeping-orientated opinion.))

After looking at plan B... uh...IMHO we need to avoid this, so we need to get our voices heard. Plan A or Plan D seem to be the most lucrative to our community. Plan C is a lot more restrictive, but not nearly as bad as plan B. Direct quote from plan B:

"Under Alternative B, zero acres would be open to cross country OHV use, 347,424 acres would be closed, and OHV use would be limited to designated routes in the remainder of the planning area (Table ES1). Approximately 2,144 miles of travel routes would be designated (Table ES2). Under Alternative B, eleven SRMAs would be designated, and 22 Focus Areas for particular types of recreation would be established (Table ES3).

WAY more depth about the alternatives

PLEASE BE FAMILIAR WITH THE ALTERNATIVES AND MAKE YOUR OPINION KNOWN BY COMMENTING! Comment period ends November 30.
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 09-27-07, 10:13 AM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Oh boy, this is big. Here's a couple more links:
    Moab Partnership Program with the BLM
    We'll be signing up for the program this week. It's $120/year or $10/mo.

BRC Moab Page
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Ive submitted my suggestions and comments. I REALLY URGE EVERYONE TO READ THE PROPOSAL FIRST. Your comments are expected to identify specific sections of the proposal.

I gotta be honest, I support proposal D and recommended modifications to make it more environment friendly. Alternative C is the one they WANT to use...but it's way too restrictive. Alternative C, in my opinion, is a preclude to getting more lands shut down by forcing OHV users of ALL kinds to over use the lands we are allowed to wheel on and then later show the overuse of the lands to get them shut down. I believe this is the same tactic being used in the ElDorado Nat'l Forest and other areas. Which there is a petition for by the way.

Comment

Well, our work is never done. I'll be reading up tonight after I'm done loading out for JV. Thanks for the information Nick, Sarah.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
          Oh boy, this is big. Here's a couple more links:
          Moab Partnership Program with the BLM
          We'll be signing up for the program this week. It's $120/year or $10/mo.

BRC Moab Page
          We signed up a while back for this. Here is the latest update they sent out yesterday. The links in the email haven't copied over.

Dear BRC Members and Subscribers,

HEY BRC! WHERE'STHE MOAB ACTION ALERT??
          I got a phone call from a good friend I met in Utah when I worked for the Utah Shared Access Alliance. He said: "Where's the alert, Bub?"

He was talking about the "open houses" the Moab BLM is hosting and wanted to know why BRC didn't do a big email blast.

Okay, okay...
          We didn't do a big email blast. I guess we've developed a bad attitude about these meetings. I'm sorry. We won't do that again.

Here is a list of the remaining meetings:
          Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - Monticello High School, Monticello, UT
          Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 2 Rivers Convention Center, 159 Main Street, Grand Junction, CO
          Wednesday, October 3, 2007 - Salt Lake City Main Public Library, 210 East 400 South, Salt Lake City, UT

All the meetings are from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

I've been attending these "open houses" since the late 1980s. My professional opinion is, the chances of having your comment recorded accurately at one of these open houses are nearly nil.

I do not mean this to be a criticism of agency staffers. I've done workshops with OHV clubs where I was the one charged with recording comments accurately. Writing down someone else's thoughts accurately isn't as easy as it sounds, especially with 50 or 100 people in the room.

Even BLM staff recognizes this. They often suggest using the open houses for information gathering and then sending them a comment letter via email. An effective comment will provide information, make specific suggestions and include a rationale. Like I said, that is hard to do with 50 people in the room.

SO WHAT THE HECK IS BRC DOING, ANYWAY?
          We're reading.

The Moab DEIS is actually two plans, a Resource Management Plan, designed to provide general management direction, and a comprehensive Travel Management Plan that makes site specific decisions. Careful review is important because each plan has different appeal regulations and the courts distinguish between site specific and general planning.

Oh, did I mention there are over 1500 pages to review?

I need to shout a super mega action thank you to our Moab Partners. Together, you have contributed over 20 thousand dollars toward the analysis. For the first time in memory the OHV community has professional NEPA reviewers, as well as our legal team, reviewing a planning document. AWESOME! (To learn more about the Moab Partnership, CLICK HERE.)

IMPORTANT NOTE TO BRC MEMBERS:
          I want to respectfully ask for your patience as we finish up our review. I know how important Moab is to our members. Once our review is completed, we'll blast something out that will help you make meaningful and effective comments. To sign up on our action alert list, CLICK HERE.

WHAT SHOULD MOAB LOVERS BE DOING NOW?
          BRC is advising our members to be doing two things. One is to take a few minutes to review key parts of BLM's proposals. BRC's previous Action Alert has info on where to look.

The other is to get the family together and pick someone that will actually write your comment letter.

Something this person can do right away is to compose a paragraph or two describing how you visit the Moab area. The BLM staff hasn't traditionally had a good understanding of what OHV users do. A short paragraph describing how you visit the area is needed. This is definitely worth the time and effort.

If you visit maybe three times annually, one of those times with your local club --- tell them. If you ride every weekend at the Utah Rims area --- tell them. If you hate to camp in developed campsites --- tell them. If your club had a problem getting a permit for their event --- tell them.

We'll have some other comment suggestions ready soon that will help you finish up your comment letter.

WE KNOW IT TAKES TIME FOR A DETAILED REVIEW, BUT WHAT ARE BRC's INITIAL THOUGHTS ABOUT BLM's PROPOSALS?
          I saw a post on an off road internet forum reacting to news reports that over 2500 miles of roads are planned for closure. It got a lot of people thinking this is a total closure plan.

I think a lot of the posts on the forums exaggerated the situation. I wouldn't call this a total closure plan based on the number of routes and areas closed. Grand County has a very complete road inventory that includes many old "seismic lines" and other routes that have little or no recreational value. It will be hard to argue that some of those 2500 miles shouldn't be closed. And BLM has proposed many popular routes be left open.

AREAS OF CONCERN:
          The 4x4 enthusiasts seem to be cautiously optimistic. I rely on Red Rock Four Wheeler's Ber Knight and the gang over at Utah Four Wheel Drive Association for their opinion on a lot of these routes. Ber hasn't finished looking the maps over yet. I want to wait to see what he has to say before we say anything further.

White Wash The proposals for management of the White Wash area are very concerning. I don't see how any of the alternatives will be manageable. The BLM did include most of the single-track trails in one of the alternatives, but key ATV trails are missing in all alternatives. That's bad. In addition, those lawyers over at SUWA will be pushing hard to close this entire area, so we'll need a lot of public comment on this one.

Utah Rims There are also problems with the BLM's plan for the Utah Rims area. This area is also known as Westwater, Rabbit Valley, May Flat and a few other names I can't remember. This is a hugely popular OHV and mountain bike destination. It's right next to the Rabbitt Valley area on the Colorado - Utah border. There are a few BRC clubs in Colorado that use this area frequently. We want to wait for their input before blasting our comment suggestions.

Cisco Desert (on the north side of I-70) The concept of emphasis areas seems fine for some areas, but the zones fail to provide for important long-distance trails that connect towns. Clif Koontz of Ride with Respect and Dale Parriott of Elite Motorcycle Tours have identified the Copper Ridge Motorcycle Loop, Thompson Wash, and Thompson Trail as a great way to link Grand Junction with Moab. They even have four-wheeled alternates to parallel the single-track. Though the BLM included Thompson Trail in one of its alternatives, the preferred alternative ought to have the whole enchilada.

Focus Areas Mention of Copper Ridge brings up another possible problem with BLM's Focus Areas. The Moab BLM seems to want to manage "emphasis" as "exclusive use." Exclusive use isn't really a feasible option in many of these areas. For example, some proposed non-motorized emphasis areas have a few popular motorized routes that need to remain open. Conversely, some proposed motorized emphasis areas have currently popular non-motorized trails. What to do? Obviously, emphasizing a particular use may make sense, but excluding all but a certain type of use will result in significant - and unnecessary - management problems.

It is important to understand that none of the Alternatives are viable choices as they are written in the Draft. Indeed, the BLM admits that they will likely "pick" parts from all of the "action" alternatives when formulating the final plan. This requires review of all of the action alternatives and very specific comments on each.

We'll get that information to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, if you have any questions, comments or concerns please contact BRC.

Thanks for your attention to this way-too-long email. Keep a close eye on your email inbox for our big Moab Action Alert.

Brian Hawthorne and Ric Foster
          BRC Public Lands Department
          brbrian@sharetrails.org
          brrichard@sharetrails.org
          [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]2001 TJ with stuff..[/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for the email Kiwi, I don't know why I didn't get that one. Here's a link to the draft documents, maps, etc.
            http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...t_rmp_eia.html
            :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

This is more BULLSHIT from our Goverment and how it (serves) us, we have to e-mail,call,bitch,caplain, every elected jerk,and tell them to stop takeing our freedoms and lands away, they have gone too far already,we dont need or want anymore protected lands,they already have more than they need.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphdjeeper View Post
                This is more BULLSHIT from our Goverment and how it (serves) us, we have to e-mail,call,bitch,caplain, every elected jerk,and tell them to stop takeing our freedoms and lands away, they have gone too far already,we dont need or want anymore protected lands,they already have more than they need.
                I respect your views, I really do... but we have to accept that the "Environmental Movement" is a well organized, well funded and in SOME cases legit cause. And we have to deal with them. I personally believe they ask for WAY too much than they should get, but they have the same rights as OHV community to ask for lands.

I don't know about how much of the proposal you've read, but I can get behind protecting historically significant sights, endangered species habitats, and seasonal use for areas of migration or restoration of habitat. The proposal suggests all of these things in seperate degrees to some extent in each alternative except alternative A. Alternative A suggests NO CHANGES be made to MOAB at all. I'm sure this would be your choice of alternatives but keep in mind that I believe all suggestions keeping alternative A are going to be given VERY little thought or consideration. I wish we could somehow make public our comments and suggestions...allow MJR to consolidate what it thinks is the most lucid arguments and send in a response representing MJR as a whole. Nothing precludes anyone from making an individual response! But a response of "This sucks, stop taking away our lands!!!" is probably going to go right into the trash. A limited degree of compromise, full cooperation, and firm insitance on protection for trails in the future is, IN MY OPINION, the only way we're going to keep what's important to us.

*My personal opinion does not in any way reflect the official position of MJR, it's staff or any of it's other members.*

Comment

this is getting ridiculous!!!!!!!
                  Just trying to get to Cali!

Comment

Nick, This proposition is pure legal-eze for sure, but it makes sense after the third reading. Sheesh. I wonder if the greenies think about how many trees have to die so they can write these things!
                    I signed up at the BRC and made my $ cont. I'm drafting a letter now. Thanks for all the good info and links. Keep up the good (hard) work.
                    Kurt
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                      Nick, This proposition is pure legal-eze for sure, but it makes sense after the third reading. Sheesh. I wonder if the greenies think about how many trees have to die so they can write these things!
                      I signed up at the BRC and made my $ cont. I'm drafting a letter now. Thanks for all the good info and links. Keep up the good (hard) work.
                      Kurt
                      Did you're head start to pound after page...oh...90? I had to read it a few times as well...

It seems that amongst their proposals, there is really no middle ground. You're either for making NO changes, or shutting it almost completely down. So I made an Alternative "E" for them. It was hard to understand for me, mostly because I've never been there.

I don't have the $$ to spend right now... I hope my few measley $$ aren't the deciding factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez View Post
                        Did you're head start to pound after page...oh...90? I had to read it a few times as well...

It seems that amongst their proposals, there is really no middle ground. You're either for making NO changes, or shutting it almost completely down. So I made an Alternative "E" for them. It was hard to understand for me, mostly because I've never been there.

I don't have the $$ to spend right now... I hope my few measley $$ aren't the deciding factor.
                        you know, there lies the situation, the green factor is extremely well organized and most wheelers are in denial. Groups such as the Sierra Club can raise millions and offer it up as a showing of their support, they do it by showing pictures of pristene lands and tell everyone that is what we need, send money please. and also show pictures of scared earth where guys have illegally run and tell them it is the alternative. It is a shame because the public needs to know the truth.
                        One of the biggest ways we affect the way the BLM and forestry service thinks of us is by participation into events like the Calico Cleanup and the AAT program, both of which MJR is in the front of being a team at Calico and having a AAT in the SBNF.
                        I do not think we will ever end this battle, so we need to step up and be loud, we educated, and stop the interhobby feuds and join forces to organize such as they do.
                        censored for having an opinion

Comment

Working...
                        X