Clear All

• Forest Service Proposes New Williamson Rock Trail

News Release

USDA Forest Service

Angeles National Forest

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Forest Service Proposes Williamson Rock Trail

ARCADIA, CA — May 10, 2007

The Forest Service is requesting public comments on a proposal to construct a trail from the Angeles Crest Highway to Williamson Rock, located in the upper reaches of Little Rock Creek within the Angeles National Forest. The proposal would analyze reopening the popular recreation site and rock climbing area to the public, while protecting the mountain yellow-legged frog (MYLF) and its critical habitat.

The Williamson Rock area has been temporarily closed since December 2005 to protect the frog, which is an endangered species listed under the Endangered Species Act of 1973. Populations of the frog are known to exist within the closure area. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service designated approximately 615 acres along Little Rock Creek within the closure area as critical habitat for the MYLF in October 2006.

Comments may be mailed to:

John F. Capell, District Ranger
    Attn. Jonathan Schwartz
    Santa Clara/Mojave Rivers Ranger District
    30800 Bouquet Canyon Road
    Saugus, CA 91390

no later than June 6, 2007. For more information, call 661-296-9710. The proposal can be viewed on the internet at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/news.

The Williamson Rock area is a well-known recreation site used predominately for rock climbing. It has been used by climbers since the 1960's and is widely regarded as a unique rock climbing resource for the entire Southern California region.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

I sent a letter in. I used to ride mountain bikes there. I'm not sure I would go there wheelin much, but it would be nice to have access if we want it.

Rat
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
    X