Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarah View Post
    OK KIDS!!! Russ, Mat and I have been working on a couple of email forms to make it easy for you to send in your comments. Now, there is no excuse! Doooooo it, NOW!

http://myjeeprocks.com/reports/categ...action-alerts/
    Sarah, I had trouble getting this email generator to work properly. I may be the only one. I ended up cutting a pasting the material into my normal email. This could be made easier if you posted the email address, subject line and body text in plain text someplace (in addition to the email generator).

I think this is important for those of us who like to use the trails to get on board with this. To that end, I will be sending copies of my emails to my friends so that they too can join the fight.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
      Sarah, I had trouble getting this email generator to work properly. I may be the only one. I ended up cutting a pasting the material into my normal email. This could be made easier if you posted the email address, subject line and body text in plain text someplace (in addition to the email generator).

I think this is important for those of us who like to use the trails to get on board with this. To that end, I will be sending copies of my emails to my friends so that they too can join the fight.

Thanks for keeping us informed.
      Not sure what you mean, the email address, subject line and most of the body is there, what sort of issue did you have? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
        Couple of points I'd like to clarify here. Any trail with a "W" or "E" designation is designated for motorcycles only (we may have some 50" trails that are W/E - Doug?), that's where the "street legal" comes in. "Green sticker" trails can be traversed by the _appropriate_ street legal vehicle, in this case it looks like a motorcycle trail has been "widened" by use by full size vehicles. What we really want is for the designation (number) of the trail to be _changed_ to a "N" trail.

My guess is that the trail is 2W47X, not X2W47
        You are correct on all counts Jeff.

The first thing for everyone to understand is the law of the USFS is that if any route is unmarked, it is not available for vehicular travel. You can at anytime receive a citation for vehicular travel on any unmarked route in any national forest. Also, the SBNF does not have any open riding areas. All travel must be on marked trails. For now, the BLM is exactly the opposite. They allow access unless signed as closed to motor vehicles.

Any trail designated with a N or S is a trail wide enough for automobiles. Some are designated street legal only and some are designated green sticker (which always includes street legal)

Any trail designated with a W or E is a trail 50" wide or less. They are designated for motorized vehicle travel, non-motorized vehicle travel (bicycles), equestrian use or pedestrians (hikers). The restriction that keeps us off these trails is the width restriction, not the green sticker restriction.

Cleghorn is 2N47

I am assuming that the bypasses are being called 2W47X. (the X stands for a connector route) That would mean that they are classified as a 50" wide trail. This is exactly the same crap they pulled on us with 3N24 Baldy Mesa Trail. For years everyone was allowed to use the bypasses. Last year they finally signed the bypasses as legal routes and then signed them all as 3W24X which effectively closed them down to any vehicle wider than 50".

There is still much debate as to how ATUVs (Rhinos, etc) will be classified. The industry lobbying group is trying to get them classified as street legal. As of right now they are not allowed on street legal only roads and they are also not allowed on 50" trails.
        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Using the letter created by Russ (thanks) as a template, I have sent this information to my off-road friends asking them to send to the Forest Service as well. The response has been overwhelming positive, and they too are encouraging people they know to do the same.

Perhaps we can all lend some support to this effort and help get the word out. I spoke with a popular Jeep shop in the area today (nameless as I did not ask for permission to mention them) and they too will be sending letters. In fact, they will be advising their customers to do so as well.

For those who attend TDS, spread the word. My personal goal is to get 50 people to write letters on behalf of keeping the trails open.
          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I too used Russ' letter as a template with modifications and added:

Several times in the last few months I have taken passengers, who are now physically unable to hike, to the Heartbreak Ridge and Pontiac Sluice trails. These trails should remain accessible for people who can no longer hike, backpack and camp while designating the surrounding areas as wilderness. The National Forests should not be restricted to only those able to hike and camp.

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
            Using the letter created by Russ (thanks) as a template, I have sent this information to my off-road friends asking them to send to the Forest Service as well. The response has been overwhelming positive, and they too are encouraging people they know to do the same.

Perhaps we can all lend some support to this effort and help get the word out. I spoke with a popular Jeep shop in the area today (nameless as I did not ask for permission to mention them) and they too will be sending letters. In fact, they will be advising their customers to do so as well.

For those who attend TDS, spread the word. My personal goal is to get 50 people to write letters on behalf of keeping the trails open.

Comment

Originally posted by stever View Post
              I too used Russ' letter as a template with modifications and added:

Several times in the last few months I have taken passengers, who are now physically unable to hike, to the Heartbreak Ridge and Pontiac Sluice trails. These trails should remain accessible for people who can no longer hike, backpack and camp while designating the surrounding areas as wilderness. The National Forests should not be restricted to only those able to hike and camp.
              That's great! I'd send one saying that, but I'd be lieing. Glad to hear you're helping out some less mobile people see what our beautiful mountains have to offer!
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Hey guys,

It is impressive that you folks take the time and effort to protect our access to the forests and trails. I will fire off some letters ASAP. Thanks for the info and I'm bummed that there was a meeting in Hesperia about these issues and I didn't know about it.

Comment

Working...
                X