Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRC Membership Drive

The Blue Ribbon Coalition is doing a membership drive. The goal is to double membership this year.

Since Rick and I are both members, we'd like to carry out our duty to get TWO people to join. Hopefully, it will be many more! I'm assuming you are all at least familiar with what they do on our behalf, but if you're not, please let me know and I can post it.

Please click here for more or to sign up! ($20)
    http://www.sharetrails.org/index.cfm?page=531

If you do join, please post here as well to show your support! Thanks for your time.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Having been a big fan of the BRC in the past, I started looking around to see what our monies and time spent encouraging memberships was accomplishing for us in our fight to keep access in our part of the world.

A recent example being the fight over Truckhaven. Look at the brief that's been filed on our behalf and see who's taking care of us.

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't be a member of BRC, but if you can only be a member of one or two groups that fight for access, I'd encourage you to pick at least one that's working in our backyard.

The BRC has been noticeably absent in the public view from Surprise, Truckhaven, and the development of stewardship for JV.
    I am Savvy.

Comment

CA4WD member myself.
      1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Member of CA4WDC, CORVA, BRC, among others.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
          Having been a big fan of the BRC in the past, I started looking around to see what our monies and time spent encouraging memberships was accomplishing for us in our fight to keep access in our part of the world.

A recent example being the fight over Truckhaven. Look at the brief that's been filed on our behalf and see who's taking care of us.

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't be a member of BRC, but if you can only be a member of one or two groups that fight for access, I'd encourage you to pick at least one that's working in our backyard.

The BRC has been noticeably absent in the public view from Surprise, Truckhaven, and the development of stewardship for JV.
          i just renewed my BRC membership, but i was curious about this as well.

the truckhaven TDS event has always been a big BIG fund raiser for the BRC.
          i was very curious why they werent mentioned as a group fighting to keep that event in its original location.

sarah, sorry to corrupt your thread, but does anyone have an answer for this?

blaine, what group/organization are you suggesting actually stands up and fights for our local trails with the money we give them to do this with?
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Being kind of new to this, and not really knowing all the facts, I was wondering what are these groups really accomplishing. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is CORVA could not even pull off their own event. Am I being naive, or should I be sending my dollars somewhere else?
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
              i just renewed my BRC membership, but i was curious about this as well.

the truckhaven TDS event has always been a big BIG fund raiser for the BRC.
              i was very curious why they werent mentioned as a group fighting to keep that event in its original location.

sarah, sorry to corrupt your thread, but does anyone have an answer for this?

blaine, what group/organization are you suggesting actually stands up and fights for our local trails with the money we give them to do this with?
              Yes Erik, isn't that sad that an event whose majority purpose on the fundraising side was hung out to dry by the BRC. No mention of their involvement in the brief whatsoever.

There's also no mention of them in the Panamint Valley fight either.

I do realize we need to think in broader terms when it comes to this stuff, but these fights are now and local and need the attention of those who profess to keep our privileges intact and access available.

They weren't mentioned because they weren't involved in the legal proceeding.
              I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                Yes Erik, isn't that sad that an event whose majority purpose on the fundraising side was hung out to dry by the BRC. No mention of their involvement in the brief whatsoever.

There's also no mention of them in the Panamint Valley fight either.

I do realize we need to think in broader terms when it comes to this stuff, but these fights are now and local and need the attention of those who profess to keep our privileges intact and access available.

They weren't mentioned because they weren't involved in the legal proceeding.
                so, as i asked in my previous post, where should our money be spent?
                CORVA?
                ERIK

Comment

Originally posted by Danabee View Post
                  Being kind of new to this, and not really knowing all the facts, I was wondering what are these groups really accomplishing. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is CORVA could not even pull off their own event. Am I being naive, or should I be sending my dollars somewhere else?
                  Yes, you are new and no you don't have all the facts. Change one word in your statement and you will be a bit more enlightened.

It's not that CORVA couldn't, they wouldn't let the event take place after it was learned that a TRO was filed by the greenies seeking injunctive relief until an EIS was filed.

When CORVA learned of the TRO, they set about stopping the event and pulling the markers from the course in order to ensure that no ammo was generated that the opposition could fire back at them in the ensuing battle over the legality of continued access in an area that has had offroad vehicular traffic for the last 50 plus years.

Due to the late filing by the CBD et al, there was no easy remedy to notify the would-be participants, most of whom were already on site or enroute.

That lead to some of the organizers walking around early in the morning and letting everyone know that the event would be moved to private property and altered into purely a social gathering without vehicular involvement.
                  I am Savvy.

Comment

WITH ALL OF THE CURRENT CLOSURES, AND ATTEMPTS AT CLOSURES OF THE TRAILS IN OUR AREA, I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT TO DROP A FEW BUCKS AT EACH OF THE LOCAL GROUps fighting for our trail usage.

i am a member of the BRC, cal4wheel, and soon to be corva.
                    sign up for all of them today. 100 bucks gets you all of them + a couple of stickers. that is one day on the trail with nothing broken. i think we can pull that off, dont you?
                    ERIK

Comment

so, as i asked in my previous post, where should our money be spent?
                      CORVA?
                      Feb 5th I'll be meeting with a group on the DC closure. Then we'll be in meetings with the BLM later that day.

I too wonder where my donations are being spent. The 4wheelers groups seem to be splintered and not focused as one. I will bring this up in the pre meeting. I could be wrong.
                      97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                      WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by Britain View Post
                        Feb 5th I'll be meeting with a group on the DC closure. Then we'll be in meetings with the BLM later that day.

I too wonder where my donations are being spent. The 4wheelers groups seem to be splintered and not focused as one. I will bring this up in the pre meeting. I could be wrong.
                        this is a good and critical point, Vern.
                        there are a number of small organizations fighting for similar things. they need to be brought together as one primary group. it would be a lot more effective that way. our opposition works this way, why cant we?
                        ERIK

Comment

this is a good and critical point, Vern.
                          there are a number of small organizations fighting for similar things. they need to be brought together as one primary group. it would be a lot more effective that way. our opposition works this way, why cant we?
                          I just dropped my $100 in the mail slot to CORVA, BRC and Cal4wheelers. I'm already a member of Cal4x. I want to help more. What's the next step for us as a group? Anything??

Kurt
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

i think one of the most important things to do at this time is to enlighten people, and try to enlarge ournumbers of enlightened people who give damn, and are willing to give of themselves.

keep an eye on this thread whenever you feel the word is out.
                            http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369003
                            the responses and poll results thus far are downright scary.
                            these numbers and points of view have to change.:shout:
                            ERIK

Comment

I think before we go spouting off and dismissing the facts of what BRC does and doesn't do, we may want to read the following response I received from Del Albright:

Your primary questions were:
                              1) What is the stand of BRC at the TDS Safari?

Answer: BRC is are standing firm with our partners against what CBD is trying to do.

2) Are you guys getting dirty in the fight?

Answer: As you probably know, CORVA's recent event was challenged by CBD. CORVA has an ongoing
                              relationship with the Eco-Logic law firm and it would be unprofessional for BRC to try to step in. In addition our attorneys often consult with each other on issues.

Also, it is our understanding that TDS moved their event, so there is no need for "getting dirty" on that. But yes, the whole Truckhaven issue is one we are all watching closely.

Right now, BRC is keeping track of the lawsuit as well as preparing to participate in the subsequent planning by the CA Parks. It will be a multi-year struggle and if more land trades occur, the situation will change.

TDS has helped BRC a lot. When they call for help, BRC will be there.

Now for more details.

BlueRibbon (BRC) is a key component in the southern CA battles. TDS is just one of those areas where we continue to help. In particular, the BRC Ambassador, Del Albright, is about the most active 4wd land use advocate anywhere. He is fully funded and supported by BRC alone. He attends TDS every year and is a key player in every access issue in CA -- to include helping clubs get involved; teaching leadership; hosting the largest land use and access web site in the world; facilitating grant funding for clubs and trails; serving as Trail Boss for Friends of the Rubicon for the last seven years and leading the efforts to save the Rubicon; and assisting with any and every issue in CA. He also serves as State Environmental Affairs Coordinator for CA4WDC.

The anti-access forces (within and beyond the agencies) are more numerous, have significantly greater resources, and,
                              in candor, have a much easier argument under much of the applicable law. The point is "our" side must coordinate efforts, pick battles carefully, and get maximum "bang for the buck" from limited resources. BRC focuses on issues nationwide, with emphasis on those areas where we are most needed and where local forces are too limited to be effective. But without this nation-wide focus, locals battles would be lost immediately.

I think it is appropriate to note that BRC spearheaded the only successful "OHV" intervention in the original CDCA suit, and BRC legal folks represented those parties along with Dennis Porter of Cal4. We were painfully aware of the BLM's intent to settle the case, and our clients made the difficult decision to participate in the unavoidable settlement negotiations in order to defend OHV recreation and exert as much influence on any final agreement.

We can never know how the agreement(s) would have looked without BRC's involvement, but it is plausible to suggest that significantly greater recreation opportunities would have been restricted, such as at the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area where plaintiffs CBD et al effectively wanted to close the entire interior portion of the dunes. Our involvement in the settlement negotiations further addressed Surprise Canyon, and resulted in the inclusion of language clarifying that the settlement agreement could not be the basis for BLM's restriction of access to private property. I note that FOPV/Mr. Lollich's counsel reference this language in the complaint; ie BRC and its co-parties helped preserve the ability to bring the fight now being waged in the DC Court.

Cal4 leads the charge in many CA issues. Cal4 has always been BRC's main partner in the CDCA case, and has
                              "taken the lead" and hired BRC's legal firm directly in the latest WEMO-NECO suit.

Each group has a niche in our fight for access. The important thing to consider is that each group must consider its overall mission and vision, and fight where it fits. More importantly, "fighting smart-fighting together" is where we can make hay. That is what BRC does and what many groups do. We all can't do it all, all the time.

While we fully understand the need to prioritize fighting close to home; but home is influenced more by national politics than local efforts many times. BRC has taken significant steps to help ALL fights around the country, realizing that CA has many precedent-setting situations. BRC has joined in SoCal issues in the past, and continues to join in the battle when the criteria of our own Legal Action Review Committee are met, ie sufficient interest/$, decent case, requested to do so, etc.

Further, we have taken some steps in our legal office to be even more responsive to any CA inquiries, eg hiring a CA-licensed attorney to be part of our team, and having both Del Albright and Don Amador tuned into CA issues daily.
                              ##

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention so you can help us spread the word about all this.
                              Thanks, Del

Also, I, like many of you wheel outside of California in places such as Moab, Ut. My bang for the buck with BRC is money well spent.

Mark
                              Last edited by FJ Crawlin'; 01-31-07, 08:20 PM.
                              "run forest, run!"

Comment

Working...
                              X