Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anza Borrego BAD NEWS DOZER

Sorry to share that turkey tracks / North Coyote Canyon in Anza-Borrego State Park has been bull-dozed to RAV4 / Explorer standards! Call to ranger stated they got a dozer assigned the park and plan to make all trails fully accessable to all. What can we do to stop this? This park is over 600,000 acres with something for everyone. Why would they destroy the fun jeep trails? Please advise what action might be helpful to stop this from changing Calcite Mine road and many other enjoyable . wdf

Originally posted by Fuel Rod
    Sorry to share that turkey tracks / North Coyote Canyon in Anza-Borrego State Park has been bull-dozed to RAV4 / Explorer standards! Call to ranger stated they got a dozer assigned the park and plan to make all trails fully accessable to all. What can we do to stop this? This park is over 600,000 acres with something for everyone. Why would they destroy the fun jeep trails? Please advise what action might be helpful to stop this from changing Calcite Mine road and many other enjoyable . wdf
    I hope someone has an answer other than 'nothing'.
    We took Calcite mine road earlier in the year, it was a challenge for us, we are new to 'rockn'. We met 4 jeep Libertys coming out. They were stock, not able to navigate the large rocks at the last climb to the mine.
    We went back two months later with friends and the whole trail was indeed now a graded road. Discouraging. There is not much to see at the mine. Its just a slot in the rock. So why couldn't it stay somewhat of a challenge?
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

I may be geographically embarrassed.

North Coyote Canyon? You mean access from the north coming into the State Park to Bailey's Cabin? Ask Russ Chung about this as I think he's been down that trail and it's pretty much a dirt road now. It's been graded down to almost nothing if I remember what Russ said correctly. Now if you're talking about the southern portion, the climb up through the pass is good as of two weeks ago.

Also, I think Cal4Wheel is suing to try to get the entire trail opened up during the season that the road is able to be used. Again, ask Russ as he's more informed on this than I am.
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Desert_Valdez
        North Coyote Canyon? You mean access from the north coming into the State Park to Bailey's Cabin? Ask Russ Chung about this as I think he's been down that trail and it's pretty much a dirt road now. It's been graded down to almost nothing if I remember what Russ said correctly. Now if you're talking about the southern portion, the climb up through the pass is good as of two weeks ago.

Also, I think Cal4Wheel is suing to try to get the entire trail opened up during the season that the road is able to be used. Again, ask Russ as he's more informed on this than I am.
        I haven't been on Upper Coyote Canyon Road myself; I'm relying on a trip report by Dave Hatch (dhsundance) where he reported that the road from Anza to Bailey's Cabin has been graded. As to the lawsuit to reopen the road, it's wending its way through the legal system. Here's a link to the status of the lawsuit according to the CORVA website: http://www.corva.org/Latest_Issues/C...Suite%202.html
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Actually when I had done this trail over a year ago the trail had been graded all the way to the start of the Turkey Grade. It was still a bit of fun although a long drive to the trailhead from San Diego. I have heard recently that the grading is all the way to the bottom of the hill. But I can't verify that.

Comment

bulldozer

Hey all
            was at anza berrago last weekend and I know for sure the diablo drop-off has not and probly will not see a dozer. Had a blast at the wind caves and mud caves and diablo for the return trip to plaster city. Still lots of nice trails left but it sucks that anza is being civilized or confined-stiened like Davey's valley,painted gorge.
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            X