Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockwood/Miller Trail Status - looks bad

I saw the incident map when I stopped in Frazier Park for gas today. As of 2230 hrs on Saturday, September 30, the northern perimeter of the fire had crossed parts of the Lockwood/Miller trail. The trailhead parking area where we aired down was outside the fire perimeter, but the fire has burned to the Lockwood Creek, so the portion of the Lockwood trail that is west of the creek has burned, including Kabob Hill, Yellowjacket trail, and Sunset Campground. It appears from the map that the fire was stopped at the lower half of the Miller trail, but crossed the upper half of the trail to include Dutchman campground and Alamo Mountain. The fire was stopped before it reached the Hungry Valley OHV area.

In this map, the XXXX represents bulldozer lines. The heavy black line is the fire perimeter.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Originally posted by Russ Chung
    I saw the incident map when I stopped in Frazier Park for gas today. As of 2230 hrs on Saturday, September 30, the northern perimeter of the fire had crossed parts of the Lockwood/Miller trail. The trailhead parking area where we aired down was outside the fire perimeter, but the fire has burned to the Lockwood Creek, so the portion of the Lockwood trail that is west of the creek has burned, including Kabob Hill, Yellowjacket trail, and Sunset Campground. It appears from the map that the fire was stopped at the lower half of the Miller trail, but crossed the upper half of the trail to include Dutchman campground and Alamo Mountain. The fire was stopped before it reached the Hungry Valley OHV area.

In this map, the XXXX represents bulldozer lines. The heavy black line is the fire perimeter.

Man that's too bad, Miller is a great trail with lots of great scenery. I'll be interested to go out and see the fire damage when its cleared for access again.
    Rat
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Miller/ Lockwood

Looks like it will stay closed for a while.
      "The Forest Service has closed a large area of Los Padres National Forest in Ventura, Kern and southern Santa Barbara counties. The closure prohibits all public entry to forest lands, trails, roads and recreation sites. A map and description of the closure is available from Forest Service offices, and on the Internet at: www.inciweb.org.
      For updated fire information, contact the Los Padres National Forest Fire Information Center at 805-961-5770, visit www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/conditions or www.fire.countyofventura.org"

Comment

Originally posted by TDS SD
        Looks like it will stay closed for a while.
        "The Forest Service has closed a large area of Los Padres National Forest in Ventura, Kern and southern Santa Barbara counties. The closure prohibits all public entry to forest lands, trails, roads and recreation sites. A map and description of the closure is available from Forest Service offices, and on the Internet at: www.inciweb.org.
        For updated fire information, contact the Los Padres National Forest Fire Information Center at 805-961-5770, visit www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/conditions or www.fire.countyofventura.org"
        When the Old fire hit the Arrowhead/Big Bear area, the trails in the fire area were closed for nearly three years. I don't think we should plan any runs on the Lockwood/Miller trail for awhile.
        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
        KI6MLU

Comment

Thats a shame, yellowjacket was an amazing ride.
          The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

thanks for the update, Russ.

this is too bad, was one of my favorite trails and would have loved to do an overnight trip here camping out at the streambed this fall.
            03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

I have property in Frazier Park off of Boy Scout Road. We went up to check on our barns and cabins on Friday September 29th. The fire came within 1/4th a mile from our property. Besides a few trimmed trees and our gate being cut open by the fire fighters everything was fine. The devastation is unbelievable. What used to be forest now looks like a desert. At the end of our street where it meets Lockwood Valley Rd you can see yellow jacket trail. It looks like it is completely burnt. We used to enjoy jeeping in Lockwood Valley looks like we will have to go somewhere else for a while.

Comment

What sucks is that they'll close this area down (totally neccesary IMHO), and do absolutly nothing to open any other areas/trails for us to visit during the closure. More wheelers pushed onto already overused trails.......:dunno:

Comment

anyone know anymore info on this trail? Open or closed? I was planning on going just for a day trip up there. is the OHV park open? man that sucks and when it starts to rain the trail is going to get trashed. boo to that
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                    anyone know anymore info on this trail? Open or closed? I was planning on going just for a day trip up there. is the OHV park open? man that sucks and when it starts to rain the trail is going to get trashed. boo to that
                    X2 on an update. It's a fun mellow trail and I hate to see that it's not available...
                    -Bob
                    '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                      The hungry valley off highway park is open i was dirt biking there tuesday, be prepared for a huge crowd. There are many trails for a jeep there but the fun ones are closed down because of fire. Good luck and watch out for crazy dirt bikers there.
                      moon buggy
                      5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/conditions/#mprd
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by ToddH View Post
                          What sucks is that they'll close this area down (totally neccesary IMHO), and do absolutly nothing to open any other areas/trails for us to visit during the closure. More wheelers pushed onto already overused trails.......:dunno:
                          Here is the latest photo report from Lockwood, with a pic of the Grapevine draped in snow..

Grapevine at Pyramid Lake

Lockwood Miller

[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Its going to be a while before they let us run that trail
                            The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

i dont even recodnise it! where are those pics taken? on the trail?
                              [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X