Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail under threat in AZ

The silly bastards are at it in Arizona. Please help keep a trail open.

Below is a sample letter to the Tucson BLM Field Office regarding their intended closure of Martinez Canyon. It's IMPORTANT we deliver HUNDREDS of letters on their desks in the next couple of days. Francisco's agenda has been to close this canyon for several years so this has finally given him the ability to do so.

An EMERGENCY CLOSURE does not require public scoping.

PLEASE use this letter or write your own and delete parts that don't apply to you, but if we want to keep Martinez Canyon open to our use we need to take the bull by the horns and send your letter NOW. Don't let "the other guy do it". YOUR letter will count! BE PRECISE BUT PLEASE BE POLITE.

Please do not just "forward"............ Send as an independent letter. Cut and paste into another email but don't show "where you received the sample" or "who forwarded the information to you" etc.

We CAN make a difference. Please forward this to everyone you know…….

Sandee

Francisco_Mendoza@blm.gov Tucson Planner
    Patrick_Madigan@blm.gov Tucson Field Manager
    Bill_Gibson@blm.gov State OHV Coordinator
    Julie_Decker@blm.gov State Resources Coordinator
    Mike_Taylor@blm.gov State Resources Deputy Director
    Bill_Civish@blm.gov Tucson District Manager
    Anna_Atkinson@blm.gov D.C. OHV Coordinator

August _____, 2006

Bureau of Land Management
    Tucson Field Office
    12661 E. Broadway
    Tucson, AZ 85748-7208

ATTENTION: Mr. Patrick Madigan, Field Manager

Dear Mr. Madigan,

I am a member of __________________________ (AZOHVC; club; group etc) representing _______________ (number of members.. AZOHVC is now over 11,000.)

I have been recreating, hunting, camping and enjoying our backcountry for ______ years and the Martinez Canyon area is important to me and my family in both recreation opportunities and history of our state.

I am writing this in response to a recent notice involving Martinez Canyon. I was dismayed to hear of the damage done to the Cabins but was equally dismayed to hear BLM is strongly considering an “emergency closure” as a result.

“Emergency Closures” tend to become permanent. I am requesting some mitigation steps be considered before closure.

The BLM Volunteer “Red Shirts” have offered numerous solutions in the past and I would hope these steps be considered again. 5-6 Years ago BLM was offered the services, at no cost to BLM, of a structural engineer to evaluate the stabilization of the cabin and the OHV community offered to supply the workers and materials to do what was needed. It was also felt that interpretative signs telling the history of the canyon would bring “responsibility and ownership” from the users. None of this was ever accepted by BLM. We are now in a situation that OHV are paying the penalty for damage by other than OHV. Because of the intimation of the OHV being to blame for the destruction certainly doesn’t lend itself to partnerships between BLM and the OHV community. This area has been a local party spot (RAVE parties and drugs) for several years. The defacing of the historical cabin was not done by OHV. The bold writing on every wall in the cabin was done by an environmental “BLM Volunteer”. Your office staff know of this incident………… has he been banned?

The “BLM Red Shirt Volunteers” are those that do clean-ups; install kiosks and signs; obtain and offer these materials to BLM at no cost; we offer to Adopt trails and help with monitoring and maintenance; many of our OHV folks are now Site Stewards……… we do this and still are the only recreationists denied access to a beautiful canyon because of our choice of transportation or recreation?

I believe gating and permits for access to this canyon was recommended some time ago. I’m assuming if this canyon is closed to motorized use it will be gated at the entrance. Why could this not be a gate allowing for permitted access only. This would give BLM knowledge of who and when there is access to the canyon; it would turn the party crowd away and allow time to join together and evaluate the cabins and hopefully do stabilization work and put together a “history story” of the area. Closing access to OHV is certainly not a way to build collaborative partnerships nor trust between BLM and the OHV Community.

It is respectfully requested BLM meet with the OHV Community leaders to discuss reaching an acceptable approach to this problem before decision of closure is made.

Thank you for your consideration.

*Name
    *Address
    Phone
    Email
    "your jeep looks so hot!!"

I posted this on a couple of boards earlier today.

Do you have any more info on it? There isn't much out there about it....
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes
      I posted this on a couple of boards earlier today.

Do you have any more info on it? There isn't much out there about it....
      Here's a link to the discussion about the Martinez Cabin/Martinez Canyon closing on the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club forum: Martinez Canyon closure

The basic reason that the BLM wants to close the trail is vandalism. The OHV community has offered in the past to adopt the trail and perform maintenance and repairs to the cabin, but BLM has declined the offer. Now BLM says that it is necessary to close the trail.
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

I read an update *somewhere. I don't remember where somewhere is.

The outcome of the latest meeting was apparently that the trail will not be closed to OHV use in the immediate future. Talk was of fencing off the cabins, possibly some restoration work on the cabins. But the threat of immediate closure seems to have passed for now. This gives the OHV community some time to get a action plan together, coordinate with BLM, and mitigate the damage.
        olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

update

OHV Enthusiasts..........

While participating in a meeting today at the Tucson BLM office relating to the Ironwood National Monument I spoke briefly with Tucson Field Manager, Patrick Madigan. He related receiving numerous emails concerned about the possibility of an Emergency Closure at Martinez Canyon................

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. Mr. Madigan assures me Martinez Canyon is not going to close. He will be sending out an official notice of this early next week.

My THANKS to all of you for your concern and stepping up to support your sport when you're worried, but we now need to direct this participation towards partnering with our agencies. BLM is going to need our help to find a mitigation for Martinez Canyon that will work for all.

Please pass this on to your lists………………. THANKS,

Sandee

Comment

More info about Martinez Cabin/Martinez Canyon

[SIZED]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/AzBrattPakk/100_6112.jpg[/SIZED]
            Apparently, earlier this month, a tree fell across the trail.

[SIZED]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/AzBrattPakk/100_6114.jpg[/SIZED]
            An unknown person or persons posted a sign asking everyone to leave the tree alone as it was still alive. As a result, off road users began to take a bypass around the fallen tree.

Last week, this hand lettered sign was posted blocking the "illegal" bypass
            Last edited by Russ Chung; 08-30-06, 12:03 AM.
            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

I have to say that this tree business is retarded.

This particular tree is falling apart - that's what old trees do.

It lives in a riparian area with dozens of other trees of all ages.

So lets sing cum-by-yah, cut the thing down and get on with life.

I hope the nitwits that posted the signs go up there and collect their trash.

Good grief.

Comment

what is a BLM volunteer?
                are they self-imposed tril wardens?
                can I say I am a BLM volunteer and make new trails, or can I only close trails as a volunteer?
                if I come across deadfall blocking a legal trail...it might get moved...most likely with a winch
                It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Working...
                X