X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hwy 330 closure this summer

Whole article is here:

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_3957224

Highway 330 will likely be closed for nearly two months this summer so work crews can stabilize slopes that are at risk of washing away in a winter storm.
    "We need to fix this now because it won't make it through the winter,'' California Department of Transportation spokeswoman Terri Kasinga said Monday.

Kasinga and Caltrans supervising resident engineer Fred Khosrowabadi, who will oversee the Highway 330 project, said there is no immediate danger to motorists. The mountain route links Highland to Running Springs and provides the most direct route from San Bernardino to Big Bear Valley. Although it is unclear when work will begin, highway officials expect the road to be closed for 53 days.

Highway 330 is at risk of being damaged by erosion. Three slopes below the roadway were worn away by City Creek's surging floodwaters during heavy rainstorms in 2004. The weakened slopes about 2.5 miles north of Highland Avenue are threatened by the possibility of future floods. Officials said the repairs need to be made this summer because the hillside that supports Highway 330 might not survive the next rainy season.

"It has to be done because the next flood, it might take the whole roadbed down," Khosrowabadi said.

The contract for hillside repairs is expected to go out to bid late this month, Kasinga said. Caltrans expects to spend about $8 million to fortify the damaged slopes. The project is expected to take 90 days, with the road closure beginning within the first three weeks of work. The project could begin in mid- to late July.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

thanks for the link...
    03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike
      thanks for the link...
      No problem.

My major reason in bringing this to your attention (other than to make Sarah wonder what I'm thinking ) is that this WILL increase the traffic on 3N34 (Dishpan Springs Trail)
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY

Comment

my rig can't handle Dishpan anyways

however 330 is my quicker and preferred route to BB from the west side of LA county, which would PISS ME OFF if I arrived at the 330 en route to a trail run or a weekend in the mountains, and the road was closed.

You may have just saved me a headache or two, I'll just take 38 instead...:yay:

Comment

OMFG! Wonderful now ill have to take the damn 18 down the hill. and 1N09 and all the link trails will basically be closed on that side, that sucks. but thanks for the info old.
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
            No problem.

My major reason in bringing this to your attention (other than to make Sarah wonder what I'm thinking ) is that this WILL increase the traffic on 3N34 (Dishpan Springs Trail)
            I guess I'm missing something, what does 3N34 have to with 330?
            '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

3N34 is the primary fire road connecting the east and west sides (one of the reasons it will _never_ be completely Black Diamond ). Every time 330 gets closed for work like this, we see a huge increase in locals and "those in the know" traffic on 3N34.
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

I'd enjoy watching the locals take their SUV's on this trail.
                '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

Comment

So would I . But we'll see a huge increase in green sticker/dual sport bikes, plus any of the locals with 4x4's. Only real tough spot is the waterfalls just east of Deep Creek, and there _were_ lines through there you could do in a stock Rubicon (BTDT)
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

rode along with FRMNJJ on this trail the other week...IMO, would be pretty interesting to see anyone try this trail without a 4" lift and lockers (at least rear locked). I have a decent amount of gumption for someone with a stock rig and I wouldn't even thinking of trying this trail without some heavy mods. :dunno:

someone with a nice rig should sit at the waterfall on the weekends and charge $20 per winch required for all the locals trying to make it up in their ford explorers

Comment

Working...
                    X