X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Holcomb Creek - 3N93

From Riverside Ruff Riders, the AAT for 3N93:

Saturday 7/2 a group of the Ruff Riders and a large number of guests
    performed maintenance on the Holcomb Creek Trail (3n93). Total we had 14 vehicles, 5 from san diego (guesstimate miles of 300 roundtrip each) and 9 more from local area (guesstimate miles at 100 roundtrip each) for a total of 24 people. We were on the holcolm creek trail from 9:30 to 6:00 we picked up trash and rearranged rocks as needed.

A small number from the group worked on the sidehill that has caused us
    some trouble. I rented a gas powered jack hammer and we widened the trail in some areas up to 12 inches. For the most part though, we concentrated on leveling out the road bed. There is an area on the side hill that will require a more permanent solution and that would be the drop into the small stream. The soil as you drop into the stream heading west is more "sandy" in consistency and no amount of work seemed to harden it. Our idea was to find a way to secure some sort of chain link to the stream bank and then fill with rock to keep the stream bank from eroding further. We couldn't really come up with any other solutions unless your engineer may have some ideas.

We did find some other areas that are going to require attention in
    particular heading west out of the middle rock garden area there is a wash
    out area that has taken part of the road and just past the water crossing
    entrance there is a new route that replaced the original damaged road bed.
    We also found the swastika carved into a tree at the water crossing
    entrance which we erased. The orginal plan was to box it out but we ended
    up totally removing it.

We ran into a lot of traffic on the trail, not large organized groups but
    small groups of 2-5 vehicles. There was also a large number of people at
    the water crossing entrance who were playing in the water with a large
    number of kids.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

I was there two weeks ago and I agree that the portion of the trail near the rock garden at the end is getting washed out. In fact a cherokee actually fell off the side and rolled three times before reaching the bottom. This occurred about 30 minutes before we passed through. You have to be careful there.
    92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

what difficulty would you rate that trail???
      87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
      ~ Dave Howell

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
        what difficulty would you rate that trail???
        Easy. No lockers required. But it is fun. I went through with a friend who had 32s and no lockers and I don't think he spun he tires once. It is my favorite trail at Big Bear.
        92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Originally posted by paultyler
          Easy. No lockers required. But it is fun. I went through with a friend who had 32s and no lockers and I don't think he spun he tires once. It is my favorite trail at Big Bear.

When did you go? I think it changed alot from the rain/snow.
          [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
          SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69
            When did you go? I think it changed alot from the rain/snow.
            I went 2 weeks ago. I say easy because there were libertys going through (getting stuck in the rock garden) but several open diff wranglers with 32s who made me regret having lockers.

Comment

Glad to hear the repairs are going on. My buddy rolled his 4-runner on the sandy hill near the drop into the small creek.

Comment

what are they fixing, i ran the trail 2 weeks ago open diff wrangler on 31s with no problems. how are people rolling?? are they just taking harder lines???

Comment

I think part of the reason youre having an easier time is that your COG is lower. The more lift and bigger tires you have on these off camber sections, the harder it is. There are several very off camber sections where people have had problems.

Tam
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal
                    I think part of the reason youre having an easier time is that your COG is lower. The more lift and bigger tires you have on these off camber sections, the harder it is. There are several very off camber sections where people have had problems.

Tam
                    THats why i only did a 3" lift and stuffed my 33s under it (just down graded to 32s) i wanted to keep the COG as low as possible and it has allowed me to take lines that others cannot and keep the body damage to a minimum (like i care).
                    87' XJ "Gnarly"

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!
                    ~ Dave Howell

Comment

Holcomb Trail repair

I ran it a week ago. They repaired two washed out sandy sections and the rest is probably they way you found it a few weeks back. If you did it with 31's and open you would have needed a good spotter.

Comment

Working...
                      X