Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paultyler
    Is is worth doing up to the bridge, i.e., is any of the hard stuff accessable?
    Yes very much so. The whole trail in fact ...
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

All of it. The bridge is where the first real rocks used to be before it was a bridge. In fact, this is arguably "better" than if the bridge was crossable - you get to do the trail twice
      1986 CJ-7; 4.6L stroker, balanced & blueprinted; 5" lift, 35x1250 MTRs, Poison Spyder Full Width kit,
      My Jeep

Moab Rocker Knocker Video:shades:

Comment

Originally posted by rick
        All of it. The bridge is where the first real rocks used to be before it was a bridge. In fact, this is arguably "better" than if the bridge was crossable - you get to do the trail twice

Great. I am going up this weekend with some friends. I have not been on that trail before and thought the bridge might be right in the middle, cutting off half or more of the trail. But it sounds like it is near the end.

I apologize for the ignorance, but where should I start the trail (at which end) in light of the bridge issue? Thanks.

Paul
        92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Paul,

Bridge _is_ the end of the trail. East side start is off Green Valley Lake Road. Take it to 3N16 (go left, or North) to the intersection of Dishpan Springs Trail (3N34).
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
            Paul,

Bridge _is_ the end of the trail. East side start is off Green Valley Lake Road. Take it to 3N16 (go left, or North) to the intersection of Dishpan Springs Trail (3N34).
            That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks. I will let you know how it goes.
            92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Oh, I expect pictures. And a full trail report. And a listing of _anything_ you find on that trail that I need to let my AAT club know about
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

Oh, I expect pictures. And a full trail report. And a listing of _anything_ you find on that trail that I need to let my AAT club know about
                Damn....you're a demanding Old Fart. Ok. I will post pictures.

Comment

Demanding, no. Lazy - Yes!
                  Need to ascertain trail conditions, and too lazy to fix the YJ brakes right now.
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Paul,

Is this the side by crab flats campground?

Comment

yep
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY

Comment

Well, I drove all the way out there on Saturday morning and the gate was locked. It said "closed to the public". I was pissed.

I really wish the forest service would post the closures somewhere closer to town. It took well over an hour for our group to get up to the gate after we had breakfast in Big Bear.

Once we realized the trail was closed we went down 3N16 for a boring trip down the X trail to Holcolmb Creek where we turned right and ended at the rock garden. Overall, a colossal waste of a Saturday. I left Big Bear feeling very unfulfilled. Maybe next time....

Comment

Gate was locked at the Green Valley end?
                          Jeff
                          OHV76V
                          KG6TY

Comment

I am sorry you hit a dead end, I think 3n16 is a good trip, it has some great vistas and side trails, I have gotten some great pictures everytime I go down it and enjoy it a lot, it may be a easy trail but it covers some great country.Some nice hikes and interesting geology near the Snow Road.
                            censored for having an opinion

Comment

Gate was locked at the Green Valley end?
                              Yes. Right near crab flats campground.

Comment

Paul, I'll have to get to the bottom of "why". My mistake for the bad advice - i should have checked!

BTW:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardin...ns/index.shtml

FOREST ROAD CLOSURES

Due to recent heavy rain and snow storms, many roads on the National Forest suffered severe damage and are either impassable or, only passable by a high clearance vehicle. Before traveling on the National Forest Road system, check with the local Ranger Station to check road conditions. Road repairs started on Monday June 6, 2005, to allow better access for fire equipment this summer. Be careful and watch for equipment on the road network. (road repair press release)

Forest Road Closures:

3N34 From 2N26Y to Tent Peg Campground (Dishpan Springs) remains closed until late fall, due to bridge damage.

1N34 San Sevine Trail from Lytle Creek to the Rancho Cucamonga due to storm drainage

2N40 / 2N40a Cloudland Truck Trail - Closed for rehab from Highway 18 to Cal State.

2N45 from Cottonwood Fire Station to Monument Peak is closed for repairs.
                                Jeff
                                OHV76V
                                KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                                X