Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrizo Gorge Overlook Trail has been CLOSED by Anza Borrego Desert State Park

Many of us know Roger Mullins, who founded the Just Runs Club of San Diego. Here is a message that he posted to the Just Runs Yahoo! Group on May 18:

================================================== =========

Today we had a joint Run with the San Diego 4 Wheelers to the Mountain Springs Stage Station Trail and Carrizo Gorge Overlook Trail.

After the Stage Station trail we headed to the Overlook by the well established trail which has been used for decades. This has always been a popular trail and is included in the Wells Trail Guide for So CA.

JustRuns had a run out there a few months ago.

Today, when we got about 2/3 of the way to the Overlook there was a brand new State Park Sign stating that the trail was Open to Foot Travel Only.

I have no idea why the Park has closed the trail. The trail has been established for a long time (perhaps since the railroad was built in the Gorge) and there is no evidence of people driving off the established trail.

Regardless since both JustRuns and San Diego 4 Wheelers have strict policies about violating Closed Areas, we all turned around.

I will see if I can get an explanation from Park Management but don’t expect them to respond to my request as they never seem to explain their actions.

It is unfortunate that now even those of us who are old or not fit enough to hike long distances in that rugged area are no longer able to enjoy one of the most scenic trails in our Anza Borrego Desert State Park.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Thanks for the heads-up.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

"It is unfortunate that now even those of us who are old or not fit enough to hike long distances in that rugged area are no longer able to enjoy one of the most scenic trails in our Anza Borrego Desert State Park. "

Well put Russ!

Comment

There are a lot of old jeepers that were told the trails needed to be closed so that their great-grandkids could enjoy them. I am one of those great grandkids, so open the gates please! And Hell, I've got their great-great-grandkids in the back of my JK!
        :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
          "It is unfortunate that now even those of us who are old or not fit enough to hike long distances in that rugged area are no longer able to enjoy one of the most scenic trails in our Anza Borrego Desert State Park. "

Well put Russ!
          I believe he was quoting Roger Mullins, but regardless, that is an excellent point, and one I'm a little surprised hasn't made it to court (to my knowledge, anyway). Considering many of the expensive, burdensome, and sometimes ridiculous requirements that the federal ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and Calfornia's CALDAG impose on cities, businesses, contractors, etc., it doesn't seem at all a stretch that physically disadvantaged people should have equal access to state and federal lands.

I'm happy to say that, being an able-bodied person, I don't have standing to sue, but there are Jeepers who do. Older folks, wounded warriors, whoever may meet ADA/ CALDAG criteria so as that their physical conditions would make it unsafe or over-burdensome to hike, bike, or ride horseback on our public lands. A lawyer could express that in ADA terms. Thankfully, I haven't had to read that stuff for years.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
            Many of us know Roger Mullins, who founded the Just Runs Club of San Diego. Here is a message that he posted to the Just Runs Yahoo! Group on May 18:

================================================== =========

Today we had a joint Run with the San Diego 4 Wheelers to the Mountain Springs Stage Station Trail and Carrizo Gorge Overlook Trail.

After the Stage Station trail we headed to the Overlook by the well established trail which has been used for decades. This has always been a popular trail and is included in the Wells Trail Guide for So CA.

JustRuns had a run out there a few months ago.

Today, when we got about 2/3 of the way to the Overlook there was a brand new State Park Sign stating that the trail was Open to Foot Travel Only.

I have no idea why the Park has closed the trail. The trail has been established for a long time (perhaps since the railroad was built in the Gorge) and there is no evidence of people driving off the established trail.

Regardless since both JustRuns and San Diego 4 Wheelers have strict policies about violating Closed Areas, we all turned around.

I will see if I can get an explanation from Park Management but don’t expect them to respond to my request as they never seem to explain their actions.

It is unfortunate that now even those of us who are old or not fit enough to hike long distances in that rugged area are no longer able to enjoy one of the most scenic trails in our Anza Borrego Desert State Park.
            Russ, did you ever get any feedback from Roger Mullins? Wanted to do a run there with a buddy but looks like all is lost.

Comment

Originally posted by tomh View Post
              Russ, did you ever get any feedback from Roger Mullins? Wanted to do a run there with a buddy but looks like all is lost.
              No, I have not heard anything more from Roger. I assume that Park Management didn't respond to his request for an explanation.
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
              KI6MLU

Comment

That seems kinda BS that they can close a trail, or do anything for that matter and refuse to respond when asked for an explanation.
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

I haven't been out that way for a while. They probably blocked it at the bottom of the hill. If you not in good shape you not going up that hill. Sort of surprised, you seldom see the park rangers out there more BLM.

The park over the last few years have been blocking off many trails bit by bit.
                  97 TJ Buffed Out

LETS ROCK!
                  WEB site

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                    That seems kinda BS that they can close a trail, or do anything for that matter and refuse to respond when asked for an explanation.
                    Yep, you wouldn't think that one person in charge can make that decision all on his/her own.
                    I see BLM do the same thing to old trails; they don't ask questions or make public they're going to do it, they just do it.
                    Which.....is kinda strange because in the early years, they posted signs for don't do this, don't do that, don't go here or there.
                    Signage is expensive to replace for whatever the reason, so then later years we were told that if the sign didn't say it was an open trail, then it's a closed trail...okay....so why do I see new signs for closed/unauthorized routes still being placed in the desert???
                    So which is it?????

Comment

A small group of us are heading this way this weekend. Any update to status of this trail?
                      thanks
                      2000 XJ, 108k miles
                      33's, RE 4.5", 4.56

Comment

I think we should dump a few thousand pounds of teabags over the sign, making a ramp up and over the road closure. If they can't afford to maintain it, the Park Service can put up a sign that says, "Nature, use at own risk" and then walk away, leaving the gates open.
                        Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                        X