Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good wheeling in Southern Nevada?

So I'm considering moving to Southern Nevada (Pahrump, specifically) sometime in the semi-near future, LA is just getting to me, I need space, and I'm tired of paying huge rent, and my line of work is slowly being outsourced (thanks to subsidies!) to other countries. I've got some good friends in Pahrump, and I really like the area every time I visit them. So I'm thinking about spending the good California money that I've got saved up on a cheaper area.

Anyway, I'm wondering if there's any good wheeling out that way? I know there's alot of mild scenic trails (which I totally don't mind!), but are there many good challenging rock trails?

I'd actually be roughly the same distance from Cougar Buttes as I am now. I'm about 130 miles from CB right now, in Pahrump I'd be about 180 miles. So that's good :-D

I know there's nice scenic trails in Death Valley, are there any nice rock trails out that way in and around southern NV?
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 05-14-13, 09:11 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

The name Pahrump conjures up memories of one of my coworkers talking wistfully about it. "Hey Dave, can't wait until we go to Pahrump, huh? Two more weeks!" Company I worked for was gonna lodge some of us there. Weird, because the actual jobsite was like 8 hours away up in Dugway, Utah. I mean what does Pahrump got that Utah doesn't got, besides !!!!!houses? Ohhhhh. Kinda makes sense now, knowing some of my superiors back then.

Well, that never materialized, and I don't have anything constructive to contribute to this thread anyway, except to say, I feel you, man! LA would drive me nuts.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

The area a little North of Vegas has some cool wheelin Just as Skeeter about all the wheel stands he did there. The area they keep hump and bump at. Should be about 100 miles from Pahrump maybe a lil less. Lots of fun to be had there, just a tad hot in summer.
      The summers there are gonna make you yearn for LA

Comment

I spent the weekend at the Cotton tail ranch in Pahrump one weekend. Great place and they also have a great fireworks store close by.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Lots of things to investigate, Parump is:

• 120 miles from great trails near Logandale (where Hump N Bump is held)

• 60 miles from Furnace Creek (middle of southern part of Death Valley

• 40 miles from Tecopa (great mines to explore there)

• 220 miles from Zion NP. No 4 wheeling in NP, but it is a beautiful place. I’m sure there are off roading opportunities in the St George/Cedar City area.

• 120 miles from New York Mountains (Northern part of Mojave Preserve)

Should keep you busy for a few weekends.

Also – I’d get in touch with someone from the Vegas Valley Four Wheelers (they put on Hump n Bump ). You’ll probably find lots of trails in your back yard. http://www.vv4w.org/’

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            The summers there are gonna make you yearn for LA
            Yea, I lived in Phoenix for 3-4 years, I can probably take the heat. But for sure, I've become used to awesome weather out here by the coast, it'll take a bit to get used to the heat again! I haven't had A/C for the passed 7-8 years, haven't needed it :-D
            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
              Yea, I lived in Phoenix for 3-4 years, I can probably take the heat. But for sure, I've become used to awesome weather out here by the coast, it'll take a bit to get used to the heat again! I haven't had A/C for the passed 7-8 years, haven't needed it :-D
              What do you think of Phoenix?
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                What do you think of Phoenix?
                It was ok. I don't like being in a big city, so that part of it I didn't care for much. But the weather you get used to pretty quick.

From what my friends say who live in Pahrump, it's usually about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

I really like the dry air, I grew up in Louisiana with tons of humidity! Didn't realize how much I hated humidity until I moved to Phoenix

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                  It was ok. I don't like being in a big city, so that part of it I didn't care for much. But the weather you get used to pretty quick.

From what my friends say who live in Pahrump, it's usually about 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

I really like the dry air, I grew up in Louisiana with tons of humidity! Didn't realize how much I hated humidity until I moved to Phoenix
                  I don't like big cities either. Not really crazy about medium or small ones, but there's a lot more work in those sort of places. Age-old story. Phoenix has never held any attraction for me, but I've been thinking for awhile of moving to Arizona or something.

Give me dryish heat any time. I've experienced in 124-127*F for weeks at a time, even worked out in it at 2pm, and it saps the life out of you, but it isn't like the miserable humidity down South. I'd heard about the humidity from family and others down there, but if I'd never left the West, I would have never known what it can feel like. Caught a day or so of it some moderate misery in Mobile, AL, then it cooled off quickly--it was in the middle of October, for crying out loud. Then there's the tropics. Goood Lawwd! Intense!
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                    I don't like big cities either. Not really crazy about medium or small ones, but there's a lot more work in those sort of places.
                    Don't know what my plan is for work, but I suppose I can find something. My hope is to not have to work full time, if I can put enough down on the house so that the monthly payment is low, I hope that I don't have to work full time. If I need money bad, I could always get back into visual effects again for a project here and there, fly out to LA or vancouver for a few months of work, then just relax for a few months back in NV with the extra cash. But we'll see I guess. Either case, I'm sure it will be a more relaxed, slower pace of life. Which is what I need, hah!
                    Last edited by daniel_buck; 05-17-13, 11:37 PM.

Comment

What does it profit a man if gains the world, and loses his own immortal soul?

If you can maintain your contacts and stay active in the industry and/ or make a place in another, you may be able to keep very nice balance. You're smart to not rush into it (out of it?), but you don't want to wait until you're completely burned out either.

You pretty much sold on Pahrump?
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Wouldn't say I'm 100% sold on Pahrump, but pretty much that's where I've always had my eye on. I've got some good friends there, and I like the area. I'd probably be in Death Valley 20+ times a year

Comment

Having good friends nearby is a good thing for sure, and so is living somewhere you can relax a little. Long daily commutes can get old though, and compound the stress. It's nice to live in the country, but if you're only home when it's dark, it's not near the same.

I'm guessing you will work more or less full-time, if not out of necessity, then because you're a creative person, and idleness would make you nuts. Not all, but much of the corporate and business culture today is toxic. It stifles inspired hard work and creativity and rewards the sycophants and sell-outs. Not for me. I can't play the game.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

Have you looked into Mountain Springs? That is between Pahrump and Vegas. Have gone through there a few times and thought that might be an interesting place. It is a little higher in elevation.
                            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                              Have you looked into Mountain Springs? That is between Pahrump and Vegas. Have gone through there a few times and thought that might be an interesting place. It is a little higher in elevation.
                              And there is a biker bar at the top called Mountain Springs Hilltop Saloon. They have on the menu a "Bitch'n Pulled Pork Sandwich" which my wife and I had the pleasure of eating for lunch today. The sandwich lived up to it's name. Once over the hilltop towards Pahrump there seemed to be a lot of open wheeling areas. Plus you are not that far from DV.

Comment

Working...
                              X