• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook JV Bill UPDATED

Rep. Paul Cook Offers Alternative Plan to Twentynine Palms Base Expansion
    Quote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Michael Fresquez
    April 19, 2013(202) 225.5861

WASHINGTON – Rep. Paul Cook (R-Yucca Valley) issued the following statement in response to the U.S. Marine Corps’ proposal to expand the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, California:

“The training of the U.S. Marine Corps is vital to the safety of the American people, and the exercises taking place on the Twentynine Palms base enable our Marine forces to defend our nation and its allies throughout the world. However, I can’t support the expansion plan offered by the Marine Corps, which would hand them ownership of Johnson Valley. Marine Corps ownership would prevent many public-space activities, including big public off-highway events like King of the Hammers, from taking place. Offroaders and other users of Johnson Valley make huge contributions to the economic well-being of the Morongo Valley, and losing that revenue during slow economic times would be devastating.

“Protecting the Marine Corps’ budget is extremely important to me, and I believe the funds set aside for purchasing this land for the Marine Corps could be put to better use.

“Instead, I’m authoring a plan that would create the Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area and keep the land in the hands of the Bureau of Land Management. Marine training could still take place at specific times, but only with agreement by the Bureau of Land Management and only at times that would not interfere with the many off-highway motor vehicle events in the area.”

Rep. Cook’s proposal would withdraw the Johnson Valley OHV area for the purposes of recreation and military use and designate it as the Johnson Valley National OHV Recreational Area. The withdrawn area would be designated specifically for recreational uses, including but not limited to off-highway vehicle use, camping, and hiking. U.S. Marine Corps activities would be permitted to take place twice annually and could not include any explosives that could be left behind without detonating.

Cook continued, “For the sake of public safety, it’s essential to set a standard for the type of ordnance used in Johnson Valley. You have offroaders and hikers moving through there constantly. Nothing would be worse than a family coming across unexploded ordnance and having a deadly incident occur. That’s why my proposal limits military use to smaller arms.”

Cook’s proposal is scheduled to be presented next Friday, April 26, in the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation.

A member of the House Armed Services and Veterans’ Affairs Committees, Cook served as an infantry officer and retired after 26 years as a Colonel in the U.S. Marine Corps. During his time in combat, he was awarded the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.

The proposed legislative language is available on the Natural Resources Committee website.revised 29PALMSALT_xml%282%29 (1).pdf
    ----
    Last edited by JeepGal; 05-15-13, 11:35 AM.
    Rich

Nice try but I see many hurdles to this plan. Nationalizing to an OHV rec area opens up fees being paid for public use due to the need for more management and infrastructure. So fees are inevitable. The military leaves one unexploded 80 MM laying around and the shit storm that creates will close the area for a long time. I applaud Mr. Cooks efforts and I hope he can make something work.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
      The military leaves one unexploded 80 MM laying around and the shit storm that creates will close the area for a long time. I applaud Mr. Cooks efforts and I hope he can make something work.
      That has been my first thought whenever I've read these "sharing" proposals. Probably every time they went out there and played with artillery, or even small arms (M-203, etc), they'd leave live unexploded ordnance laying around, which would be found from time to time, if not on a regular basis.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Oh boy! an ordinance hunt!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          Oh boy! an ordinance hunt!
          This is why I like you Roger...

Comment

By the time you've spent a few thousand hours hunting easter eggs and digging up magnetic rocks, the excitement level isn't quite the same, but it's still gratifying to find a live one.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Jeff Knoll is testifying before the House in support of this bill:

Click image for larger version

Name:	936925_570588526306407_1510279653_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	358268

I have faith in Jeff that this is what needs to happen. If your representative is on this committee, you need to CALL THEM and tell them you support this bill!

Do it NOW while youre thinking about it.

Tam
              2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
              Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Any word on how this went?
                -Bob
                '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

It was voted on about 30 min ago...

HR 1676 Cleared the House Natural Resources Committee!!

As per Jeff Knoll (Our HERO!) "Word is Armed Services by the end of the month"

Tam
                  2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                  Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Yep just read about it. Come on baby!

Comment

here's the official CMRC press release. This has been a truly collaborative effort on the part of all OHV:

May 15th 2013 is an historic day for OHV users. While it may not have shook the earth like a SCORE Trophy Truck racing across the desert, it is a very important landmark in the race to save the Johnson valley OHV area. The “Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Recreation Area Establishment Act,” (HR 1676) sponsored by Rep. Paul Cook (R-CA) was approved by the House Natural Resources Committee, with minor changes from its original form. The only Amendment was a change in the days the United States Marine Corps would be able to use the area under a permit from 42 days per year to 60 days per year. Rep. Bishop (R-UT) commended Rep. Paul Cook for introducing the legislation. He noted that the issue was not easy to deal with and that the bill does a good job in balancing needs. He observed that the bill is as close to ideal as possible in the face of challenging issues such as addressing the needs of OHV users. On its path to becoming a law, the bill has been sent to the House Armed Services Committee, Chaired by Rep. Buck McKeon, who is a bill co-sponsor.
                      The action sets in motion the potential end to a 5-year debate about the expansion of the 2nd largest military base in the United States. HR 1676 protects OHV activities by establishing the "Johnson Valley National Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area" under continued management by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The legislation provides for public participation in determining the dates for military activities that will be the least disruptive for OHV activities.
                      Johnson Valley is the largest OHV area in the US, totaling nearly 189,000 acres. OHV enthusiasts, as well as Stargazers, amateur geologists, and campers use Johnson Valley year-round. The area is also home to numerous motorized events that draw thousands of competitors and spectators to the area every year, including the famous King of the Hammers event.
                      While this latest action gains traction in the fight to save Johnson Valley, the OHV community remains cautiously optimistic because the fight is far from over. While the Bill is doing well in the House, the Bill has yet to be introduced in the Senate. The road to the finish is going to be rough. “Are monthly expenses are in excess of $12,000 because we have employed a top Washington Lobbyists” Said Save the Hammers Chairman Jeff Knoll. He continued “We have come this far because we have employed a new strategy, I hope we make it all the way to the finish line as it’s always a struggle to raise the funds”. Those who wish to donate can do so at www.savethehammers.org.
                      The California Motorized Recreation Council (CMRC) and its Save the Hammers committee has been instrumental in identifying the possible solutions surrounding the needs of the Military while balancing OHV rights established by the California Desert Protection Act. The American Sand Association (ASA), American Motorcyclists Association (AMA), California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs (CA4WDC) California Off Road Vehicle Association (CORVA) California Nevada Snowmobile Association (CNSA), AMA D36, AMA D37, and the Off Road Business Association (ORBA) make up the CMRC. In addition the Save the Hammers committee is made up of business, stakeholders, local, and national associations dedicated to the preservation of this unique desert location. One such association is the Partnership for Johnson Valley who has worked to save Johnson Valley for over five years. The work to preserve the unique terrain of Johnson Valley will continue in perpetuity for the grassroots associations made up the dedicated users of the OHV area and citizens of the remote area.
                      Rich

Comment

It sure sounds good, fingers crossed.
                        Dennis and Tammy
                        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

I'm not convinced this is a good thing. I haven't had a chance to read everything, but I just read the NDAA that passed the house.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...13hr1960rh.pdf

The number of days the military can use the land now is 60! That's two months! I hope it's in the middle of the summer, don't you?

This bill references a map, but I don't see it.

I'm not happy with this as I see it so far. This is a TOTAL compromise. We need to wake up as a community and stand up for what's ours. We are always the ones meeting half way, and pretty soon we're going to have nothing left.

Notice he didn't try to do a co-use with the wilderness animals by expanding into their land. I mean, if it's okay for us to share, isn't it okay for the animals?

This has crossed the line for me. I know it's a little too late to speak up, but I'm really tired of hearing everyone praise Paul Cook. He took the quickest way out of this, put out a total compromise, is proud of voting for the big government NDAA, and everyone rises to their feet to say how great he is?

C'mon! We need to pull our heads out of the sand.
                          :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

I like the way you talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylI86NhPyAk
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                              I'm not convinced this is a good thing. I haven't had a chance to read everything, but I just read the NDAA that passed the house.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...13hr1960rh.pdf

The number of days the military can use the land now is 60! That's two months! I hope it's in the middle of the summer, don't you?

This bill references a map, but I don't see it.

I'm not happy with this as I see it so far. This is a TOTAL compromise. We need to wake up as a community and stand up for what's ours. We are always the ones meeting half way, and pretty soon we're going to have nothing left.

Notice he didn't try to do a co-use with the wilderness animals by expanding into their land. I mean, if it's okay for us to share, isn't it okay for the animals?

This has crossed the line for me. I know it's a little too late to speak up, but I'm really tired of hearing everyone praise Paul Cook. He took the quickest way out of this, put out a total compromise, is proud of voting for the big government NDAA, and everyone rises to their feet to say how great he is?

C'mon! We need to pull our heads out of the sand.

I completely agree, and like mentioned previously, one ordinance piece and it will be shut down for "safety" reasons to the public all while we are paying more for them to play on our playground. I dont care if it is the middle of summer we will still be out there doing night runs so NO even the summer is not okay. They have enough land to do what they want, its not like they need to train for a firefight on wrecking ball or we are going to lose the war in Afghanistan...
                              LED light bars, misc jeep accesoies, custom suspension components
                              [COLOR="#FF0000"]Whites4wd.co[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X