• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGrath State Park

Yep, this state is screwed......

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/mar/...looded-closed/
    Rich

Could be a federally protected wetland? The federal gov't is screwed too.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

I've camped there a couple of times. Nice place. Not sure I am sympathetic though. They know the situation there and it is natural. Shit happens like that.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
        I've camped there a couple of times. Nice place. Not sure I am sympathetic though. They know the situation there and it is natural. Shit happens like that.
        People should learn not to screw with nature and not built shit in low places where water likes to go.
        But then common sense has been in short supply for ages

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          People should learn not to screw with nature and not built shit in low places where water likes to go.
          But then common sense has been in short supply for ages
          Where would they put trailer parks then?
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
            Where would they put trailer parks then?
            Redneck Riviera, where else? The bright side of that is that it's darn near 3000 miles from here.

Comment

Actually, I disagree. Our state parks are a great resource and should be available. Someone made a bad decision that disallows the dredging of the river to not cause this catastrophe. Sorry guys.
              Rich

Comment

Nature dredges rivers in it's own way in it's own good time. We all need to learn to stop meddling with Nature.
                Mother nature knows a heck of a lot more about her self, then us ignorant humans do.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  Nature dredges rivers in it's own way in it's own good time. We all need to learn to stop meddling with Nature.
                  Mother nature knows a heck of a lot more about her self, then us ignorant humans do.
                  I don't think we are ignorant.
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                    I don't think we are ignorant.

At times we are and cannot leave things alone that do not need meddling with. Humans tend to think they no best, look what that did to our environment. This goes for misguided greenies to those that rape our environment for financial gain. Be that big or small gain.

Comment

Art, did you get bit by a zombie?

holes = cowbell

Comment

Nope lol, just don't think people are all knowing and all powerful. Nature proves that one time and again and yet we feel we need to meddle with it to make it better

Comment

I hear you. As far as it goes for McGrath State Park, it's clear if they're not going to keep it open for drainage, they need to move the human facilities. Then people can enjoy the park in its various natural states, which I would think should be the idea anyway.

Currently there is a state-wide moratorium on all motorized suction dredging (for prospecting or whatever), and I think that's wrong and stupid. If nature was that fragile, it would destroy itself. Pretty much any given winter the effects of runoff will erase anything done by small-medium scale gold dredging. Even so, studies on gold dredging have actually shown that it can increase fish habitat by increasing the amount of bottom variation in streambeds. Fish like the holes and piles. Fishermen refer to that as "structure."

Years ago, I worked on an ordnance remediation project where we often had to thin brush in "sensitive" habitat. We had a full-time biologist who spent a lot of time in the field. He observed those supposedly delicate gnat catchers ("endangered" birds) following our sawyers as they noisily chainsawed through the sage scrub. Apparently they liked the way we kicked up bugs. What's more, his analysis after several years was that the thinned sage scrub was actually better habitat for the birds and many other creatures than when it was overgrown and completely wild.

My point is, I think that man does have a place in "nature." Not to wantonly destroy it, nor to worship it and let it rule over him, but rather to regard it as a gift that should be used and cared for with gratitude and love.
                          holes = cowbell

Comment

My point is, I think that man does have a place in "nature." Not to wantonly destroy it, nor to worship it and let it rule over him, but rather to regard it as a gift that should be used and cared for with gratitude and love.

I like that a lot

Comment

Thank you. Somehow I didn't think you'd object.
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X