Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another historical site Destroyed

I'm sad to report that on the afternoon of 12/28/2011, the Main house at the Lester-Dale Mine was burned by two arsonists. Our own ECVJeep - Brian and his friend Paul saw the suspects on two Yamaha motorcycles. He called 911 to report this and stuck around for the fire dept and Sheriff Deputies. So far no arrests have been made, probably never will be.

Another piece of history gone forever.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

That's really sad. Thanks for the update.
    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

We felt pretty helpless last Weds, but I am glad that we got the fire crews on scene quickly. I have not been back to the site since the fire, but I am reasonably confident that the fire was contained to the main building. This really is a terrible loss, and I hope will serve us all as a reminder that we need to be good stewards of our public lands.
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

This kind of news makes me so angry! What jollies can these guys get from this?
        I really hope that the culprits are caught, (and tarred and feathered, dragged through the streets, and then drawn and quartered) but I doubt that it will happen (specifically the 'caught' part).
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Many trips to Lester Dale. Tammy and I got the news in Georgia when It happened and it was a sad moment for sure. Tammy really enjoyed roaming around those old buildings. Such a waste.

Comment

I am fairly certain that if it were not for Brian and Paul the entire camp would have gone up. Thank you for your quick action guys. Our society desperately needs the achievement of quenching the thirst of our young with a considerable amount of values, integrity, and morals.
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

just out of curiosity, are there any laws that state you (as a civilian) can 'detain' someone for defacing rocks and historical sites?

Just curious because I remember several years back somewhere in Moab while I was on a job shooting locations, I see a teenager climbing way up on the rocks with a can of spray paint or something, obviously trying to get higher up to spray the rocks. At the time all I wanted to do was sit there and wait for him to climb down so that I could smash his face in. But we had to catch an airplane so we left. If we would have had time, we probably would have stayed there and beat the snot out of him. I didn't even think about calling the rangers, I probably should have.

But in any case, if you see someone actively defacing historical sites, is there a law that states you can 'detain' them in some way? Or if they possibly get hurt from your 'detainment' would you then be the one who is now in trouble with the law? I've usually got zip ties and duct tape in my jeep....
              Last edited by daniel_buck; 01-09-12, 10:11 AM.
              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Daniel,

Since no one else has replied to your question, I'll attempt to answer it. I'm not a lawyer, but a few years ago, I went to a neighborhood watch meeting where the police officer explained that a "citizen's arrest" was permitted when 1) you personally witness the crime, and 2) it is a felony. The amount of force that you use to apprehend the suspect must be reasonable; you're not supposed to beat the suspect up if he's not a threat to you. If the conditions are not met, YOU run the risk of being charged with wrongful arrest, false imprisonment or kidnapping. I don't know if spray painting graffiti on some rocks would be considered serious enough to try a citizen's arrest. OTOH, if I caught someone vandalizing something on my property, I would consider it to be a serious offense.

Russ
                If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                KI6MLU

Comment

Well put Russ.

In Brians case at Lester Dale, Arson is a felony and detaining or citizens arrest is appropriate if you see it happen.

The think that the Antiquties Act makes defacing and vandalizing historical sites like Petroglyphs, a felony also.

.02cents worth.

Comment

Sad Day today at Lester Dale.

Well today was a sad day. After a nice time shooting with Roger this morning and knowing that this was my last Jeep trip before moving to Georgia in 2 weeks, I talked Roger into running by the Lester Dale mining camp to see the damage from the arson fire of a couple weeks ago. This place had a very special meaning to Roger, who has taken his his boys there for decades. So sad. The main house has only the rock walls standing. Luckily the of other building are still standing. What a senceless thing for somebody to have done to a very cool place.

Mitch

Before the fire:

After the fire:

Roger in heavy thought

The remaining buildings still standing

Last edited by Mitch; 01-12-12, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna miss you Mitch and our many adventures together. But I know it's time for your to start your new life with Tammy. All the best to the both of you.
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

^^^^What he said^^^^

I'm speechless on the pictures.
                        Check out .

Comment

I will never understand how others can't appreciate things the way we do...or even if they don't, why they feel compelled to ruin it.

They need to be tire humped.
                          Jeep Girl

Comment

Terrible! 20 yrs ago that place was 99% intact. Running water in the house, shaker tables at the mill and a 30lb drum of Cyanide was in a shed.

Comment

Wow,
                              I'm sad. I never got to see it

Comment

Working...
                              X