Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLM Motorized Vehicle Management Input

It looks like there are several ways to place a comment (bottom of page)

Written by Bureau of Land Management
    Tuesday, 13 September 2011 10:32

BLM Announces Intent to Prepare Environmental Assessment of Motorized Vehicle Management in West Mojave Planning Area The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), California Desert District, announced its intent to prepare an environmental assessment (EA) to analyze a proposed plan amendment and alternatives covering the management of motorized vehicles on public lands in the West Mojave (WEMO) area.

A Notice of Intent to prepare the plan for areas in Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, and San Bernardino counties published in the Federal Register today.

By this Notice, the BLM is announcing the beginning of the scoping process to solicit public comments on:

1.issues related to plan decisions which will guide the management of motorized vehicle access in the WEMO plan area;

2.process and decision criteria to be used during plan implementation to designate routes;

3.issues and concerns within each subregion;

4.additional issues cited by the January 28, 2011 Court Order including special status species, vegetation communities (including unique plant assemblages), special area designations, air quality, cultural resources, soils, springs and seeps and Mojave fringe-toed lizard habitat; and

5.the "bundling of analysis areas" for route designation.
    A lawsuit was filed by a variety of Plaintiffs challenging the BLM's Record of Decision (ROD) for the 2006 WEMO Plan. On January 28, 2011, the Court issued an Order-Remedy and remanded the 2006 WEMO ROD to the BLM and, in part, directed the BLM to amend the plan and to reconsider route designations. The court required that a revised decision for the WEMO route designation be completed by March 31, 2014.

Two BLM public scoping meetings will be held: one in Ridgecrest and one in Barstow. Details on the public scoping meetings are provided below. Any additional public meetings will be announced through the local news media, newspapers, mailings, and at the BLM web page: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/cdd.html at least 15 days prior to the event.

September 27, 2011
    6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
    Kerr McGee Center
    100 W. California Ave.
    Ridgecrest, CA 93555
    (760) 499-5151

September 29, 2011
    6:30 pm – 9:30 pm
    Hampton Inn
    2710 Lenwood Road
    Barstow, California 92311
    (760) 253-2600

The public may submit comments on issues and planning criteria related to the WEMO EA for the Motorized Vehicle Access Element, by any of the following methods:

1.Email: cawemopa@blm.govThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

2.Fax: (951) 697-5299;

3.Mail: ATTN: Alan Stein, BLM California Desert District Office, 22835 Calle San Juan de Los Lagos, Moreno Valley, CA 92553-9046

Documents pertinent to this proposal may be examined at the California Desert District Office, address above, or the BLM's California State Office, 2800 Cottage Way, Sacramento, CA 95825. For further information contact: Alan Stein, (951) 697-5382.

I am going to try to make the meeting in Barstow. Sarah - how can I get on the advisory council???
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Can someone please summarize in plain English what this article is stating?

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
        Can someone please summarize in plain English what this article is stating?
        BLM has implemented their Motorized Vehicle use plan, which is off road use friendly, and it's being challenged by those who don't agree with off road use of public lands. They want to make it more restricted, resulting in less motorized use.

So public input is being allowed in the revision process - you can bet that there will be many enviormental groups there stating their views.
        Last edited by mkjeepers; 09-18-11, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you Mike. How and where may I voice my opinion?

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
            Thank you Mike. How and where may I voice my opinion?
            On the main post are the lcations for the public meetings or there is an email and a address for letters. Every letter must be taken into account by the agency. So every effort does count.

Comment

Bumpin' this up. I plan on going tomorrow night to Barstow. How many can join me in making our voices heard??
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Here are a couple of links to the BLM issue.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/cdd/w...ave__wemo.html

Map of Calico open trails.
                http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial..._16AUG2011.pdf

Map of Rattlesnake canyon area
                http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial..._09AUG2011.pdf

Comment

Here's my report for last night's meeting:

Well before the meeting I stopped and got a Double-double w/ grilled onions from In-N-Out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	double-double.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	358214

Mary (Slittles), Harry Baker, and I were the only MJR members in attendance. Ther was a good number of reps from various motorcycle groups like district 37.

There were only two enviromentalists that spoke. One was a lady Mitch knows, she's represented Friends of Juniper flats. I think there are only two members in that organization! Another was a camper/hiker that didn't like OHV's going past him at 60 mph while he is hiking.

Basically, this was a kick off meeting to address the issues of the lawsuit against the BLM for the West Mojave Road Plan. It seems that the BLM didn't dot all the eye's and cross all the t's so some environmental group sued them. There will be many more meetings between now and 2014 when the BLM has to go back to court with their revised plan.

I have gotten on the email list and it is my intention to get involved with the actual going over the maps. I feel my expertise will lie in the Rattlesnake Cyn, Ord Mtns, Calico, Juniper Flats, & Newberry areas. There are other folks that seemed interested in the Ridgcrest areas. I think the off-road community will be well represented. At least I hope so.

I will try to keep you all updated. But I must say that I was disappointed that so few MJR members were there. This is our land we could loose...
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger I very much wanted to go to the meeting. I wish they would hold one closer to metropolitan SoCal, maybe the CDD office in Moreno Valley. 110 miles one way was a bit too much after a 6am start time.

What does the BLM have to accomplish with this planning process?

I know that the BLM went through the WEMO (West Mojave) EIS and had a designated a route system, then was sued by CBD.

Did you get an idea of what has to be done and how it may impact OHV recreation?

Comment

I don't see big changes ahead IF the off roader's will stay involved. The BLM needs to do a better job of identifying critical habitats, cultural sites, riperian sites and such. They actually identified all these sites in the WEMO EIS but they did not inlude these on the final maps.
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Roger, thank you for your efforts, and keep us informed. Like Stephan, I'd love to help but am very busy and far away!
                        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                        X