Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important Johnson Valley Tour, Tuesday, May 24

The message below is from Betty Munson of the Johnson Valley Improvement Association, and below that is the Press Release from the OHV Division of California State Parks.

The Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission wants your input.

Let's make a good showing at the tour and take the opportunity to talk one on one with the Commissioners

I hope to see you in Johnson Valley Tuesday. It's time to draw our line in the sand.

Harry Baker

[message from Betty Munson]
    Hi all,

I received an e-mail notice about this last week, but thought the tour was pretty much a last-minute thing.

However I got a phone call yesterday about sending out this public notice. I asked the caller if the State Parks had made a comment on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement, as the OHV Parks (of which there are only 8 in the whole state) will certainly feel the impact of the displacement of OHV visitors to Johnson Valley if the Marines take it over. He said that is why they want locals on the tour.

So we are going to the tour and everyone who can, please come out. I was told it would probably be about 4 hours.

I doubt if many can make it to the Ontario meeting the next day, but there is an e-mail address to send comments.

If we can influence the comment that the state commission makes to the Marines, it can only help our case. OHV visitors keep our nearby businesses afloat, and the Draft EIS says it is not of significant impact if they go somewhere else, as 90 jobs will be created on the Base. This can only be understood to mean that the number of residents of the communities neighboring the Base and expansion area is not considered significant. So let's try to get some numbers out to Means Dry Lake.

Betty Munson

[press release from OHV Division]

CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION/ OFF-HIGHWAY MOTOR VEHICLE RECREATION DIVISION
    News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Phil Jenkins, (916) 324-4442 May 20, 2011
    Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission
    Tour of Johnson Valley OHV Area
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011
    Tour and Discussion of the Proposed Military Expansion into the Johnson Valley OHV Area

Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 10:00am, on Boone Road at Means Dry Lake, the public is invited to join the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Commission and government officials to tour Johnson Valley OHV Area. The purpose of the tour is to review the proposed Marine Corps expansion that would limit off-highway vehicle recreation opportunity in the area.

Those wishing to join the tour will need to bring high clearance 4x4 vehicles. Following the tour, on May 25, the OHMVR Commission will meet in Ontario, California.

The OHMVR Commission consists of nine members appointed by the Governor, Senate Committee on Rules, and the Speaker of the Assembly. They are charged with hearing the concerns and issues of the public related to off-highway vehicle recreation in California, as well as providing input and recommendations for the California State Parks OHMVR Program.

The public meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 25, 2011, beginning at 8:30am at the Doubletree Hotel – Ontario Airport, The Big Bear Room, 222 North Vineyard Avenue, Ontario, California 91764. The Commission will hear reports on and address a number of agenda items. A report by the Marine Corps about their proposed expansion into the Johnson Valley OHV area is the primary focus of the meeting; this item will be discussed after the lunch break at approximately 1:00 p.m. The meeting will conclude following the discussion of this agenda item.

Public comment on this and other issues will be heard. Any person may file a written statement about any subject on the agenda by writing to Phil Jenkins, Division Chief, OHMVR Division, 1725 23rd Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95816, or may present written statements at the meeting on May 25, 2011. Notices and agendas for the Commission meetings are available at www.ohv.parks.ca.gov
    or you may contact the OHMVR Division at (916) 324-4442.

For energy efficient recreation – California State Parks on the Internet: <http://www.parks.ca.gov>
    DPR 985 (Rev. 10/2002)(Word 10/24/2002)

I plan to be there.
    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
      I plan to be there.
      [COLOR="blue"]I think they're looking for some Hammer capable rigs to do Chocolate Thunder and show the group what JV is all about.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
        [COLOR="blue"]I think they're looking for some Hammer capable rigs to do Chocolate Thunder and show the group what JV is all about.[/COLOR]
        Yep, I will be one of those running Chocolate Thunder. They are also doing regular touring of the area. Any other folk planning to be there?
        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
          Yep, I will be one of those running Chocolate Thunder. They are also doing regular touring of the area. Any other folk planning to be there?
          Harry & I will be there, we got a personal invite from Daphne Greene. We must be 'portent folks. We'll be in a full size so we'll just be watching the rock jocks and joining the regular tour! We'll have Kim Carpenter from Rescue 3 riding with us.

We're hoping for good attendence from across the spectrum of users. The residents of Johnson Valley also received an invite from Ms. Greene.

Helen Baker

Comment

Somebody ought to try and get a hold of Hundy, he would not have problem at all taking his big sled (4 door JK) up Chocolate thunder

Comment

I'd be there if I could but work comes first unfortunately...
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Newspaper article about the tour

Hesperia Star Article about the tour.

http://www.hidesertstar.com/articles...6816091512.txt
                Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

Working...
                X