Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHV's Might be closing

I received the from Amy Granat, she works with CA4WD. We need to act now.

We must ACT NOW to save the OHV program!

The Issue: On Friday, February 18th, the Assembly Budget Committee voted to take $27 million out of the OHV operating budget. This would NOT be a loan, and would continue unstopped year after year. It would result in closures and cut-backs to the California OHV Parks – Carnegie, Clay Pit, Heber Dunes, Hollister Hills, Hungry Valley, Mammoth Bar, Oceano Dunes, Ocotillo Wells and Prairie City. The Snow Grooming program and State Sno-Parks will also be greatly affected or closed. In addition, the Governor is proposing to take $21 million more from the OHV program. This could be the end of the OHV program as we have enjoyed it for the last 40 years.

This Wednesday, February 23rd, the Conference Committee will meet in the State Capitol to iron out difference between the State Assembly and Senate Budget Committees. We have to influence the following Conference Committee members through our elected legislative representatives: Senator Leno, Vice Chair; Senator Lowenthal, Senator Negrete McLeod , Senator Huff, and Senator Emmerson, and Assemblyman Blumenfield.

What can you do: ACT NOW! and contact your legislative members ASAP. Find your representatives here, and use the speaking points below, or add some of your own: http://www.legislature.ca.gov/legisl...egislator.html

 The budget proposes only an $11 million cut for 270 State Parks, yet a cut of $27 million is proposed from the OHV division which has only 8 State OHV Parks. This represents less than a 10% cut to State Park operations, but over a 40% reduction to the operating budget of the OHV parks. The OHV Division is a user funded program, taking NO money from the General Fund.

 The State OHV Parks are all about children, offering them opportunities to recreate outdoors. The OHV parks encourage families to go camping, and offer urban residents the chance to enjoy the outdoors in a safe environment. The OHV parks enjoyed a 150% increase in attendance over the last 10 years, which State Parks cannot equal.

 The Law says the OHV division of State Parks should have equal priority among the other State Parks. Budget impacts should be equally shared....yet the State OHV Parks have had $112 million dollars taken over the last 3 years. Now the Assembly proposes to gut the program, favoring less popular State Parks. This is certainly discriminatory, and counter to the law. The OHV community has given more than it's fair share of the OHV Trust Fund. These are dedicated user fees.

 The OHV community has taken legal action for two other attempts of this kind...and the State has lost! We sued you and won $21.5 million. We are willing and able to do this again, and the State will lose even more money before all this is over. We will pursue all legal remedies to stop this action, and stop the discrimination against the State OHV Program and affiliated activities.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

I just spent twenty minutes sending emails to all of my representatives. I hope they read and heed...
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Ok, sent the emails out.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

e-mailed them, and will call there offices and talk to there staff.
        06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
        07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

The state is totally broke. I'm not surprised that Sacramento would make this cut. They will never cut Government Worker's pay, benefits, or pensions. Nor will they cut welfare or MediCal. This is where the real costs are.

Even though the OHV areas are user funded, they are drooling over the money. I wonder, how could they keep people out of any OHV area closed? Would they have Rangers there keeping people out???
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Hopefully the emails will help. Lowenthal is my senator and his office is in downtown Long Beach. I think I will visit the office on lunch today.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
              Hopefully the emails will help. Lowenthal is my senator and his office is in downtown Long Beach. I think I will visit the office on lunch today.
              Jason did you have any luck at Lowenthal's office? I heard rumor he stated that the state was entitled to that money and he was not going to budge.

Comment

Originally posted by BlurpleXJ View Post
                Jason did you have any luck at Lowenthal's office? I heard rumor he stated that the state was entitled to that money and he was not going to budge.
                I have yet to hear from Senator Lowenthal. He has been up in Sac this week. He has also yet to reply to my email to him. We'll see.
                This person who I spoke with did let me know that there has been a number of email regarding the OHV fees.
                Last edited by Jason; 02-25-11, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Emailed Huff and the rest
                  Solor Yellow LJ Rubicion 4.5 SF SA. Body armor bumpers, Sliders, Warn RC 9.0, CB,Intake, Edge TB and programer.35" X Terrains, Some additional cage work

Comment

Working...
                  X