Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA - Americans with Disabilities Act

The ADA are very powerful laws. I'm surprised the offroad community has not used it to their advantage more often.

http://www.americantrails.org/enewsl..._Jan_2011.html

ALERT! On March 15, 2011, new Department of Justice rules will allow “power-driven mobility devices” to be used on trails by “individuals with mobility disabilities.”
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Interesting find. This could be really tough on the trails if it becomes a requirement to make them "accessible" to the disabled.
    I deal with handicapped accessibility issues and laws on a daily basis and the state of CA in particular is very tough on all of these laws. There are some very stringent requirements when it comes to accessibility. This may not be a good thing.
    Last edited by NAILER341; 02-05-11, 10:21 PM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

It is a good thing when used right,trail closures deny people with mobility issues access to said areas of public land. Which is essentially illegal, according to laws that deal with access of our disabled or mobility challenged fellow citizens to public areas. Seems to me this should apply to recreation areas and public lands.

Comment

It would be nice if the ADA did apply to keeping trails open.
        We could classify our off-highway vehicles as special mobility devices to gain access to areas that could be closed off.
        Use that designation to help keep trail open.

I think it has been tried, and been found that the ADA does not apply to wilderness or wilderness study areas.

Todd
        Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
        Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

I think you guys are only seeing the shiny side of that coin. If you were as deeply involved in access codes, laws, and requirements as I happen to find myself, you would quickly find that it is a double edged sword.

Be very careful what you wish for in this area.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
            I think you guys are only seeing the shiny side of that coin. If you were as deeply involved in access codes, laws, and requirements as I happen to find myself, you would quickly find that it is a double edged sword.

Be very careful what you wish for in this area.
            If closed trails get opened for access that would be a good thing.

If trails need to get paved with accessible bathrooms and such that would be a bad thing.
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
            X