Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Outdoors Initative,look who's sweat'n!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Outdoors Initative,look who's sweat'n!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Spread the WORD! [/COLOR]

Should Off-Roaders Rule the Great Outdoors?
    What if only off-road vehicles were allowed in our parks? As part of its Great Outdoors Initiative, the Obama administration is collecting ideas for how communities can better conserve outdoor spaces via an online forum where people can post suggestions (and others can vote to "promote" or "demote" them).

When Sierra Club member Nancy Dess posted her idea, though, she was surprised to see that the only ideas getting promoted were from off-road vehicle enthusiasts.

What's going on here

If the link above doesn't work go here
    http://connect.sierraclub.org/post/O...e6be95c76be4b0

http://ideas.usda.gov/ago/ideas.nsf/
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

After reading all the comments posted on the Sierra Club site in response to the above-referenced article, I registered on the America's Great Outdoors website. Suffice it to say that I found some of their comments to be quite shocking and offensive. All this time, I thought Sierra Club members were shy and timid, just like the poor forest creatures that off-roaders are chasing into the cities only to be shot (or something).

Here were a few of my favorite comments:

Posted by: Art Judd on August 3, 2010 5:57PM PST
      I am totally opposed to ATV's in ANY mountainous area, National Forests, BLM Lands, and especially wilderness or proposed wilderness areas. Wherever they have been, the land suffers and is worse for it. I am less opposed to Mountain Bikers as they are at least physically powered. Art Judd, ajudd@sisna.com
      Posted by: Felicia Tawil on August 3, 2010 6:25PM PST
      I'm sick of recreational vehicles taking over our mountain and desert land. Let the gluttony of these motor monsters, find their amusement elsewhere. Try reading a good book or some charity work. I doubt it.
      Posted by: Jim & Elaine Stack on August 3, 2010 6:32PM PST
      All we have to do is get congress to stop subsidising OIL and gas will be $11.50 over night. Then you won't have people wasting their money on gas for these dirty activities or motor boating etc.
      Posted by: Frances Goff on August 4, 2010 10:32AM PST
      It's very simple: Offroaders are getting rich and getting their jollies at taxpayer expense. No more. Offroaders want to do their destructive thing? They need to pay HUGE use fees; no I mean VERY VERY LARGE use fees, like $200 per day, per vehicle. They need a gas surcharge tacked on of at least $10 per gallon. If they violate any of these mandates (if they look funny at the cashier, even) they spend a week in lockup and INSTEAD OF A PENALTY FINE, they do two weeks' Gulf Blowout Clean-Up AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE (housing, food, hazmat gear - naw! We'll provide the same hazmat gear as the Pentagon did to Persian Gulf servicemembers!). Yeah, dudes, we are deadly serious about this.
      Posted by: Scot Kindschi on August 4, 2010 6:59PM PST
      It's a start Frances Goff. I, however, would suggest a hunting season on off roaders. Put some more excitement in it. Ride at your own risk. I have never hunted before, But i would at least consider puchasing a permit for this.
      Are these the kinds of people we want to CONTINUE to dictate public policy?
      holes = cowbell

Comment

Read the comments in MiB's link. Seams to be a lot of OHV support from the Sierra Club members.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Get on there and vote, people, the Sierra Club freaks seem to be dominating.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

There are some really stupid ideas on there like:

OHV and ATV Satellite Beacon Service
            Install a satellite beacon on each ohv and atv. Similar to an EPIRB, it will allow law enforcement to detect motorized use of protected lands and identify perpetrators. Following an incident of vandalism, law enforcement might review the database to learn who was at the scene.

Keep OHVs out of public lands
            OHVs belong on well-regulated private tracks, not on public land.

Off-road vehicles (OHVs, ORVs), aka All-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are not compatible with hiking, nature study, and other healthy, environmentally-friendly use of our public lands. But there is strong pressure to allow more ORVs on public lands. Manufacturers and dealers are working to open up public lands to ORVs.

ORVs have important environmental significance as well as health and safety implications. Some ATV’s are even advertised as suitable for users six years of age or older. ....
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Those are pretty typical examples, yeah. One well-supported "idea" " Ban OHV use on federal lands." So far this has received overwhelming support (currently 532 in favor to 60 opposed). Read the comments and try to figure out which one is mine. Where are all the wheelers?
              holes = cowbell

Comment

We are on the losing end of most of these votes.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]I wonder where they get these wild-eyed ideas from.

Like Inverted said, regester and vote on this issue. This is a Department of the Interior poll that's being taken. Each comment must be taken into account by the DOI, and used in their decision making process.

I wouldn't want to see OHV'rs in the hunting reg's next year.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by mkjeepers View Post
                    [COLOR="Blue"]I wonder where they get these wild-eyed ideas from.

Like Inverted said, regester and vote on this issue. This is a Department of the Interior poll that's being taken. Each comment must be taken into account by the DOI, and used in their decision making process.

I wouldn't want to see OHV'rs in the hunting reg's next year.[/COLOR]
                    I wouldn't worry too much about that particular one. Those kooks probably couldn't figure out which end to point at you.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                    X