• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubicon Trail Press Release

Friends of the Rubicon and the Rubicon Trail Foundation

E-mail: bebehumr@gmail.com / president@rubicontrailfoundation.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRESS RELEASE: FOTR & RTF STILL COMMITTED AFTER BOS DECISION
    Volunteer Coalition and Non-Profit Reflect After County Board of Supervisors Vote

Placerville, CA January 26, 2010: El Dorado County Board of Supervisors voted to formalize the alignment of the world-famous Rubicon Trail. This decision includes a handful of important bypasses around some of the more difficult sections of trail, providing trail users the option of taking a less difficult route around the toughest segments of trail. In a meeting which lasted well into the night, the Board of Supervisors heard arguments from county residents, off-highway vehicle enthusiasts, environmental activists, the U.S. Forest Service, and the State Parks OHV Division about how to best define the trail which winds through the scenic Sierra Nevada west of Lake Tahoe.

The Board of Supervisors discussed options for addressing a Cleanup and Abatement Order (CAO) issued by the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board. The DOT listed three options for consideration, ranging from establishing 1.) a single defined trail, 2.) a defined trail with bypasses around the most difficult sections, and 3.) a ‘corridor’ option which would have included wide areas where specific trails might be defined. In the end, the Board of Supervisors chose the option of a single route with bypasses, which they felt provided the widest range of opportunities for public access while still addressing the CAO. Tom Celio, Director of DOT, stated that all options presented would be able to address the CAO.

[COLOR="Red"]This County action formally recognizes the main alignment of the Rubicon Trail and a handful of alternate routes with multiple levels of difficulty near Devil’s Postpile, Forgotten Sluice, Little Sluice, Indian Trail, and the True Old Sluice. Selecting this middle option is a balance between recognizing a single trail and recognizing every existing alternate and bypass. "In reality we lost very little" said Scott Johnston, President of the Rubicon Trail Foundation, “We are still committed to working with the County – this was a good step toward satisfying the Water Board’s CAO." [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]In a frustrating last-minute twist which caught the public by surprise, the Board of Supervisors also voted to reduce the size of the largest rocks in the iconic Little Sluice Box, a signature section of Rubicon Trail near Spider Lake with high technical difficulty.[/COLOR] This controversial proposal, was put forth by Supervisor Jack Sweeney after the public comments session was closed. “I and other members of our volunteer community were blind-sided by the discussion/decision to alter Little Sluice”, said Jacquelyne Bebe Theisen, Trail Boss for the Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR). “Our volunteers deserved the opportunity to discuss the alteration of Little Sluice with the Board of Supervisors – and we will. This is not over.”

RTF and FOTR will work together to push the County Department of Transportation, to lead organizations, and agencies together to identify and employ non-explosive management techniques to minimize impacts at Little Sluice and still comply with the Board of Supervisors’ instructions. In the meantime, FOTR and RTF will continue to work with the County to mitigate concerns in the area by distributing WAG bags (for collecting human waste) and spill kits (for cleaning up fluids spilled by damaged vehicles); reaching out with education from the kiosks, providing roving trail patrol and mid-trail staff; and delivering internet-based education.

On several occasions during the course of the meeting, the Board of Supervisors expressed how grateful they were for the incredible commitment of the (OHV) community who volunteer thousands of hours a year educating trail users, performing trail maintenance, and cleaning up and addressing sanitation issues. The volunteers of FOTR, Jeepers Jamboree, California Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs, and many other local clubs and independents have worked together to maintaining Rubicon Trail for more than 50 years.

The joint efforts of the County, the Forest Service, the California OHV Division, and these volunteers provide an unprecedented example of a collaborative process that works, and are a shining example to land managers and user groups across the nation. “We have to move forward, and keep our volunteers motivated. It's going to be a challenge, but we can and will succeed,” Theisen added, “We are relieved that after ten years of discussing the issue of trail alignment with little action, the County has finally identified what routes they will maintain in conjunction with the Volunteers.”

FOTR’s extensive volunteer coalition coordinates with RTF’s federally recognized non-profit organization, and with 8+ years of FOTR volunteerism and 5+ years of RTF fund-raising, we expect that the Rubicon Trail will continue to be an environmentally sound, viable, year-round trail accessible to the public for years to come.

If you would like to help with our efforts, you can sign up for a Friends of the Rubicon work party at: www.FriendsoftheRubicon.com or send your tax deductible donations to: Rubicon Trail Foundation PO Box 2188 Placerville, CA 95667. Donations may also be made with PayPal or major credit cards by calling 888-6RUBICON.

More information is available at www.RubiconTrailFoundation.org and www.FriendsoftheRubicon.com
    2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
    Rock-ItMan all the way around

Ouch!
    This is not good news.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I didnt perceive it as being bad news in as much as some compromises to keep what we want. Not that I wanted to see us lose any part of the trail, but if this allows us to continue using the trail without further restriction, Ill accept it.

Tam
      Last edited by JeepGal; 01-31-10, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I do like how some of the "bypasses" are being added as part of the trail. Takes away the fear of being issued a ticket. There is the one spot where we camp at Buck Island that I'm sure is a bypass but I've often wondered if it is considered within the 20' of the trail as to where you wont be issued a citation?

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
          I didnt perceive it as being bad news in as much as some compromises to keep what we want. Not that I wanted to see us lose any part of the trail, but if this allows us to continue using the trail without further restriction, Ill accept it.

Tam
          In a frustrating last-minute twist which caught the public by surprise, the Board of Supervisors also voted to reduce the size of the largest rocks in the iconic Little Sluice Box, a signature section of Rubicon Trail near Spider Lake with high technical difficulty. This controversial proposal, was put forth by Supervisor Jack Sweeney after the public comments session was closed. “I and other members of our volunteer community were blind-sided by the discussion/decision to alter Little Sluice”, said Jacquelyne Bebe Theisen, Trail Boss for the Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR). “Our volunteers deserved the opportunity to discuss the alteration of Little Sluice with the Board of Supervisors – and we will. This is not over.”

This is the part I saw as a bad thing.
          Give them an inch and they think they are a ruler.
          Last edited by JeepGal; 01-31-10, 07:11 PM.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Bummer to hear about the changes to Little Sluice Box...hopefully they can fight that and keep it the way it is. But overall, this sounds very promising . . . I'm glad to hear that for the most part they'll keep the obsticles for the big guys and the bypasses for the smaller guys like me that still want to get out there and experience the trail without having to mess up the fun for the big guys by stacking rocks, etc on their obsticles. Hoping to get out there this season . . . can't wait!!!
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Pleased to hear about the details. I am planning on doing the Rubicon this year with my club,, cant wait.
              06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
              07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                Bummer to hear about the changes to Little Sluice Box...hopefully they can fight that and keep it the way it is. But overall, this sounds very promising . . . I'm glad to hear that for the most part they'll keep the obsticles for the big guys and the bypasses for the smaller guys like me that still want to get out there and experience the trail without having to mess up the fun for the big guys by stacking rocks, etc on their obsticles. Hoping to get out there this season . . . can't wait!!!
                The few boulders they are talking about in Little Sluice make in nearly impossible even with a well built Jeep on 37's (Gerald last year).

The party and the problem occurs when some idiot who has been heckled into attempting little sluice after a few brews. The crowd forms around Little Sluice. Many of these folks have no regard for the surrounding area, and leave their trash and toilet paper (not to mention their poop!) in the bushes around the Sluice Box.

The first year we went, Spider Lake was still open to camping. But because of its close proximity to Little Sluice, it was getting fouled by the idiots who hang out at Little Sluice, and has been closed to vehicles since 2003.

If this compromise allows us to keep the rest of the trail, Im all for it.

Tam

Comment

Originally posted by JeepGal View Post
                  The few boulders they are talking about in Little Sluice make in nearly impossible even with a well built Jeep on 37's (Gerald last year).

The party and the problem occurs when some idiot who has been heckled into attempting little sluice after a few brews. The crowd forms around Little Sluice. Many of these folks have no regard for the surrounding area, and leave their trash and toilet paper (not to mention their poop!) in the bushes around the Sluice Box.

The first year we went, Spider Lake was still open to camping. But because of its close proximity to Little Sluice, it was getting fouled by the idiots who hang out at Little Sluice, and has been closed to vehicles since 2003.

If this compromise allows us to keep the rest of the trail, Im all for it.

Tam
                  Yep! Last two times I've been to Rubicon there has been too much poop around. I don't mind animal poop because, well they live there. But when I see little piles of white TP all over the lake, even right at the waters edge, it just pisses me off! I hate compromise but it seems to be the only way to keep the places we love. We just need to compromise in moderation; there has to be give and take on both sides.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I don’t think that opening up some bypasses is such a good idea. If they make it easier then that means more vehicles and more people. That would bring more erosion and more trash.:2:
                    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                      I don’t think that opening up some bypasses is such a good idea. If they make it easier then that means more vehicles and more people. That would bring more erosion and more trash.:2:

Chuck, that would exclude po' folk like myself from ever enjoying the trail. But I do understand the frustration of more people (that's why I live in Lucerne Valley!)
                      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                      MJR moderator
                      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                        I'm not an expert on this trail as I haven't been YET, but I got the feeling that the bypasses they were talking about were the ones that were already there around some of the major obsticles. Without these bypasses, I don't think too many of us on 33's or even 35's would be able to enjoy the trail.
                        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                          I'm not an expert on this trail as I haven't been YET, but I got the feeling that the bypasses they were talking about were the ones that were already there around some of the major obsticles. Without these bypasses, I don't think too many of us on 33's or even 35's would be able to enjoy the trail.
                          My thought process was that if they open bypasses around the difficult area that would attract more vehicles. Then years from now all the groups which I will not name but you know the ones I’m referring to will complain that the area is being devastated by all the vehicle traffic and they will fight to get it closed.

By the way both of your vehicles are capable of running Rubicon.
                          Check out .

Comment

Everybody keeps missing the inevitability that the trail will eventually be closed.

Does nobody see that each time we lose just a little more, compromise just a little more and get set back just a little more.? And that there is not a single thing that any of us can do, in the long run, that will make one bit of difference? They only thing that will give us back our freedom to wheel is the collapse of the US and a descent back into anarchy. Then you can go wherever you want. Do it armed, though...

The green agenda has never changed, and they never give an inch. They WILL eventually win. All they need to do is keep on keepin' on, stay on-message, and be patient. That's IT. Time is on their side. I see a time in the not too distant future when our sport is all but extinct, or so heavily regulated down to the smallest area possible that it will be impossible to have any fun because of crowds. Don't believe me? Ask street racers and drag racers what happened to them. If you want to go run your bomber down the 1/4 mi. track at California Speedway, expect to be there ALL day to get, maybe, 4 runs the whole day. And you only get a couple days a MONTH that you can go. Southern California used to be THE place for Drag Racing in the country, but those days are just a distant memory now.

I know my Jeeping days are numbered, and I fully intend to get as much use out of it as I can before it all falls apart. After that, I fully intend to be back hot rods and car shows, because that's about all that I will be able to do; sit in a lawn chair by my PARKED car and let others look at what we used to be able to do. I am not a defeatist, just stating fact. I will wheel as long as I can, but I don't kid myself that I will be able to do it for the rest of my life.
                            '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
                              Everybody keeps missing the inevitability that the trail will eventually be closed.

Does nobody see that each time we lose just a little more, compromise just a little more and get set back just a little more.? And that there is not a single thing that any of us can do, in the long run, that will make one bit of difference? They only thing that will give us back our freedom to wheel is the collapse of the US and a descent back into anarchy. Then you can go wherever you want. Do it armed, though...

The green agenda has never changed, and they never give an inch. They WILL eventually win. All they need to do is keep on keepin' on, stay on-message, and be patient. That's IT. Time is on their side. I see a time in the not too distant future when our sport is all but extinct, or so heavily regulated down to the smallest area possible that it will be impossible to have any fun because of crowds. Don't believe me? Ask street racers and drag racers what happened to them. If you want to go run your bomber down the 1/4 mi. track at California Speedway, expect to be there ALL day to get, maybe, 4 runs the whole day. And you only get a couple days a MONTH that you can go. Southern California used to be THE place for Drag Racing in the country, but those days are just a distant memory now.

I know my Jeeping days are numbered, and I fully intend to get as much use out of it as I can before it all falls apart. After that, I fully intend to be back hot rods and car shows, because that's about all that I will be able to do; sit in a lawn chair by my PARKED car and let others look at what we used to be able to do. I am not a defeatist, just stating fact. I will wheel as long as I can, but I don't kid myself that I will be able to do it for the rest of my life.

I have to disagree Mr. G. You say you're not a defeatist but that's what I'm hearing. But you made several very good, very valid points:
                              We (0ffroaders) need to stay on message as well. Our message is that we can co-exist and still have what we ALL want. The majority of offroaders are willing and able to put in the time and effort required to be stewards of the land, and we need as many voices as possible shouting that at every representative we have. While anarchy would be really fun (in my eyes anyway) we can and do have the power to fight the opposition and win our rights to wheel and enjoy our sport. You can NEVER give up! EVER!

While you can compare hot rodding to offroading they are two distinctly different sports requiring different terrain. We don't speed down highways threatening the safety of others. While not the only reason, that was the main reason that drag racing was banned to parks. We have to make sure the opposition sees us differently, and that takes a lot of effort.

We have to keep sending letters, emails, faxes, skywiritng, whatever the Hell it takes to keep us from becoming extinct. Unless the sport of offroading doesn't mean that much to you; then by all means, go sit by your parked car.

I don't think that's you though. Your just frustrated like the rest of us.
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X