Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
    [COLOR="Sienna"]I work that particular exercise which needs the land expansion. We expect to train MEBs (Brigades) six months a year. Six exercises are scheduled per year, however if the need increases overseas, we can expect to train more often. Just throwing that out there.[/COLOR]
    And that would answer our question...we lose the use to what was public use land. Now here's the big question, how do we know when there is training going on? I don't think they're going to put up a fence with a gate, and say, "when the gate is open, it's for public use". Nah, it will be like Fort Irwin where you could mistakenly drive on to their area..possibly..and get caught by a MP or Goldstone police and get in trouble. Just saw that a week ago one night while down at Goldstone's front gate. Felt bad for the guy. just my :2: worth
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Originally posted by kirkandsylvia View Post
      And that would answer our question...we lose the use to what was public use land. Now here's the big question, [COLOR="Red"]how do we know when there is training going on?[/COLOR] I don't think they're going to put up a fence with a gate, and say, "when the gate is open, it's for public use". Nah, it will be like Fort Irwin where you could mistakenly drive on to their area..possibly..and get caught by a MP or Goldstone police and get in trouble. Just saw that a week ago one night while down at Goldstone's front gate. Felt bad for the guy. just my :2: worth
      [COLOR="Sienna"]Camp Pendleton currently has a system something like this set up for some of the beach areas, and training areas in the higher elevations. Essentially it is the responsiblity of the civilians that want to use the area to know if it's open or not. There may be a website with a schedule of training on it, or you may have to call a phone number to find out. When I was stationed there, we had to call the Operations and Training section to find out if any unit had the area reserved for training, if not, we could go camping, fishing, etc in that area.

I'm not saying that this is how the system WILL operate, just basing my comment off of past experience. Since this area is supposed to be designated for MEB level training only (I would like to see that IN WRITING) it shouldn't be able to be scheduled by anyone else but our training organization. We'll see how that comes out in the end.

Also, I'm not sure how the Army does things, but the Marines place "roadguards" on the most frequently traveled roads to keep unauthorized traffic out of training areas. Google "Private Rothers" and it's an unfortunate case of roadguard use. But, the only people that really get into trouble on this base are the "scrappers" that come on the base illegally to pick up expended brass and aluminum from munitions in imapact areas. A rough way to make a living in my opinion, but these days there are suprisingly a LOT of them. They always claim to be lost, but with a truck full of scrap it's pretty obvious. Sometimes we only find remains of vehicles and occupants blown to kingdom-come. I don't think anyone in this group is "legally & currently" qualified to pick up ordnance? [/COLOR]
      Last edited by USMC 0369; 01-04-10, 06:21 PM.
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Hi USMC, I tried the Goggle link you speak of and "no-joy".
        Respectfully,
        LG
        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
          Hi USMC, I tried the Goggle link you speak of and "no-joy".
          Respectfully,
          LG
          [COLOR="Sienna"]Try this. [/COLOR]

Officer Convicted in Marine's Death - NYTimes.com
          http://www.nytimes.com/1989/02/26/.....-s-death.html?

Comment

Not to take anything away from the marines, but i think this is just another issue of the military trying to take control of something so someone in the higher ranks can say "Look What I Accomplished", can I get promoted now? I really dont think its necessary to take the extra land. Im sure the training mission could be accomplished if this land was not available. It's 2010, with the technology we have I think the marines and army are wasting time, money, and lives over there. If we are going to do this then do it. Send in some air support and take care of business, then send in the marines and army and get it done so they can come home, then stay out of their affairs. In my opinion I dont think this is necessary.
            I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Simulations can only accomplish so much. You need the real boots on the ground with an advirsary to make you think.
              The training is real enough that these young Marines think they are on the ground in Iraq and Afganistan.
              They also work with the Navy alot for Close Air Support training, on how to call in Navy and Marine air units to put bombs on bad guys that are close and attacking.

I do not want to see this area turned over to the Marines, as I think there are other areas that could be used for training, like Ft Irwin just up the road.
              They just completed an expansion, and have a complete Iraq/Aganistan town built for training.
              So, are the Marines trying to keep with the Jones (Army) in expanding their training area? I think so.
              But in the military, we have been doing more and more joint exercises and doing it at joint bases. Why not combine the Marines and Army at Ft Irwin? It could become a joint training facility.

Todd
              Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
              Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Navy-Jeepster View Post
                Simulations can only accomplish so much. You need the real boots on the ground with an advirsary to make you think.
                The training is real enough that these young Marines think they are on the ground in Iraq and Afganistan.
                They also work with the Navy alot for Close Air Support training, on how to call in Navy and Marine air units to put bombs on bad guys that are close and attacking.

I do not want to see this area turned over to the Marines, as I think there are other areas that could be used for training, like Ft Irwin just up the road.
                They just completed an expansion, and have a complete Iraq/Aganistan town built for training.
                So, are the Marines trying to keep with the Jones (Army) in expanding their training area? I think so.
                But in the military, we have been doing more and more joint exercises and doing it at joint bases. [COLOR="Red"]Why not combine the Marines and Army at Ft Irwin? It could become a joint training facility.[/COLOR]

Todd

[COLOR="Sienna"]Todd, this idea has a lot of merit.
                I don't think it will happen, some of the reasons are petty "dick measuring" issues; but the Army doesn't allow training the way the Marines do it. A lot of "who's in charge here" would come into play.
                As for "keeping up with the Jones" part, that may be part of it, but the Marines have been talking about deploying a Marine Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) for years now. Currently only MEU (...Units) are deployed, and a MEB is over twice the size of a MEU. And you never want to deploy with people you haven't trained with. This is what is driving much of the land aquisition.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]Todd, this idea has a lot of merit.
                  I don't think it will happen, some of the reasons are petty "dick measuring" issues; but the Army doesn't allow training the way the Marines do it. A lot of "who's in charge here" would come into play.
                  [/COLOR]
                  I'm glad we're caught in the middle of the games our tax dollars are paying for
                  :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                  X