• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Threatened on Mojave National Preserve

I know there are some hunter's here...
    Best, Maxwell Britton

California: Hunting Threatened on Mojave National Preserve

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), in concert with the Sierra Club and other anti-hunting organizations, has filed a petition with the California Fish and Game Commission to ban most hunting in the Mojave National Preserve, including rabbit and varmint hunting. What hunting remains (resident game birds, deer, and bighorn sheep) would be restricted. The "Petition for Rulemaking Regarding Hunting in the Mojave National Preserve" blames hunters for the declining population of the desert tortoise, a threatened species under the state's Endangered Species Act. CBD filed a similar petition in 2003, but the commission did not act on it. The commission will likely consider the CBD's petition next week and could schedule a hearing on it early next year.

The petition contains the flimsiest of evidence that hunting in the preserve is the cause or even a contributing factor of the decline in the tortoise population. In fact, statistics confirm that vehicular traffic and increased tourism within the designated critical habitat of the tortoise have increased substantially since 1994 when the preserve was established. Those activities are believed to be the leading causes of tortoise mortality. Further, there is sufficient research to suggest that predation by ravens and coyotes are also taking its toll on this protected species. The objective of the petition is not to protect and enhance the tortoise population. Rather, it is an attempt by this coalition of anti-hunting organizations to permanently end hunting in the Mojave National Preserve. CBD was also behind the ban on the use of lead ammunition for hunting big game within the range of the California condor, and earlier this year, CBD attempted unsuccessfully to extend that ban to all game species.

Please take a few minutes to contact the commission and ask that they deny the petition. Please address and mail it to:

John Carlson, Jr., Executive Director
    California Fish and Game Commission
    1416 Ninth Street, Room 1320
    Sacramento, CA 95814
    fgc@fgc.ca.gov
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Letter sent.

Dear Mr. Carlson,

I am writing to demand denial the petition that has been filed by the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), the Sierra Club and other anti-hunting organizations. The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), and the Sierra Club are misusing power. Hunters are not the cause or even a contributing factor of the decline in the tortoise population. I believe the California Fish and Game Commission ought to represent the people of this area and stand accountable to them. When is the public opinion meeting? Where is the public notice? Where is my public letter explaining the situation or asking my opinion?
    I encourage the California Fish and Game Commission recognize and to stand up against this eco-tyranny.

Concerned American resident,
    Best, Maxwell Britton
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Letter composed and sent.

Comment

WT F$&k

Comment

Max who sent that email to you?

Comment

Letter sent. Do I smell desperation on the breath of the CBD and the Sierra Club? It seems they come up with more far-fetched ideas for closing land as the days go by. What's next, or dare I ask??
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

done/sent
              Stacie Albright
              Life Member BlueRibbon Coalition

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                Max who sent that email to you?
                The NRA.
                Best, Maxwell Britton

Comment

thanks max.

I've been getting some info from an individual involved with the guzzlers in the MNP.

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                    The NRA.
                    Best, Maxwell Britton
                    Hmmm,..odd, I did not get that email from NRA till today ?
                    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
                    X