Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Rock Canyon General Plan

Get involved. Make your voices heard. Help keep Red Rock Canyon open to motorized travel. This was just released today.

News Release From the California Department of Parks and Recreation

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    November 17, 2009

Russ Dingman, District Planner
    (661) 726-1672
    RDINGMAN@parks.ca.gov

Kathy Weatherman, District Superintendent
    (661) 726-1668

State Park Announces the Restart of the General Plan
    Process for Red Rock Canyon State Park

California State Parks announced today that it will resume the public planning process that will result in a new general plan for Red Rock Canyon State Park. The restart of the planning process will shape the future use and management of the park.

The project is funded by voter approved Proposition 84 park bond funds. This past January, the project was one of over 5,000 bond funded improvement projects suspended due to the poor cash position of California’s Pooled Money Investment Account which provides funding for all bond funded projects. Those bond sales resumed recently and this project received funding as a high priority for the Department.

The State Parks planning team will resume the studies and planning activities that will provide direction for the entire 27,000 acres for the next twenty to thirty years. Planners will use data from earlier efforts, much of which is still valid and applicable, along with data from a series of public workshops, outreach kits and other input from stakeholders that began in November 2008.

To complement this effort, additional data gathering will capture new and more extensive information about the park and adjacent lands, combined with public comments that were received from the 2008 Notice of Preparation.

The planning team will be compiling, analyzing, and summarizing that information in preparation for the scope and content included within the General Plan Revision which will serve as Programmatic Environmental Impact Report as require California Environment Quality Act (CEQA).

Please join this discussion on the future of Red Rock Canyon State Park as we proceed with the General Plan Revision. Public input will play a significant role in the planning process. The Department will be planning a series of future public meetings to meet with stakeholder groups beginning this fall. A completed general plan document will be presented to the State Park and Recreation Commission for their approval. The Department hopes to present the plan to the Commission sometime in 2011.
    Never the last trail!:cactus:

Thanks for the post. I was trying to find the original at the State Parks site, but I couldn't turn it up at either the main site or the Red Rock Canyon section.

Do you have the URL to this?
    How did you get it?

I tried to get on their mailing list, but I guess it didn't take.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertHare View Post
      Thanks for the post. I was trying to find the original at the State Parks site, but I couldn't turn it up at either the main site or the Red Rock Canyon section.

Do you have the URL to this?
      How did you get it?

I tried to get on their mailing list, but I guess it didn't take.
      I received the information because I submitted written comments during the 2008 survey period and signed up to receive e-mail updates. I suggest you e-mail Russ Dingman and express your views and request he add you to his e-mail list. Thanks for your help!
      Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

Working...
      X