Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPS is asking about Death Valley backcountry access

The National Park Service has an online comment form asking good questions about backcountry access in Death Valley. Speak up!

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentF...cumentId=29400

Here were my responses:
    --------------------------

1. What do you value about the Death Valley Wilderness?
    The unique terrain and land features (stripped butte, devils racetrack, dunes, kilns, salt flats, etc..., and for me, the ample evidence of human's endurance and the amazing amount of mining related history and artifacts are fascinating.

2. What are your issues or concerns regarding how the wilderness resource is used and managed
    ?
    There is an alarming trend to "close" existing roads for no discernable purpose. Excuses are giving to funding issues, but many of these roads have existed, unmaintained, for over 100 years. "funding" is an insufficient reason to deny the public access to these public lands. If the existing roads are closed, the backcountry becomes inaccessible, thus essentially useless. My family would never be able to access the backcountry areas if not for the 4x4 trails and roads that lead there. It's simple, we don't need new roads, but if they already exist, let us use them!

3. What do you value about the park's non-wilderness backcountry lands and network of backcountry roads?

They are of tremendous value to me. Most of us live in urban or semi-urban areas. The backcountry roads are historical monuments to human perseverance and grit. Exploring old mining areas is fascinating, and using their network of roads leads to geology and geography that would otherwise be inaccessible for me and my family. My kids greatly enjoy routes such as Lippencott Mine road for example.

4. What are your issues or concerns regarding how these backcountry lands and roads are used and managed?
    Similar to #2 above. For the majority of people who have an interest in exploring these areas, we depend on the network of ancient roads, primarily from the historic mining industry, to access these remote and beautiful areas.

5. What are your thoughts and/or concerns regarding the relationship between wilderness and adjacent non-wilderness backcountry?
    To me, Wilderness means no further development. Preserving what is there for future generations, yet allowing the current generation to enjoy them also. I enjoy non-wilderness areas for its multiple recreational uses, but neither area should be made inaccessible.
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Nathan,

Great responses! Thank you for posting this link. I will respond in a similar way that you did. We our losing way too much of our public and also NP lands and trails. This whole region was founded by the mining industry as early as the
    1850's. I agree that we don't need "new" roads, just continued access to the existing roads and trails. Once trails are lost and closed via "Wilderness Status" we will never see them again. You should not have to be able to hike just to see our lands.

Mitch

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Thanks for posting this Nathan, I'll fill it out soon
      mk[/COLOR]

Comment

My comments:

Thank you for providing an opportunity to provide input on the Backcountry and Wilderness Stewardship Plan. I look forward to taking part in future planning efforts in Death Valley National Park.

Topic Questions:
        What do you value about the Death Valley Wilderness?

What are your issues or concerns regarding how the wilderness resource is used and managed?

I cannot comment on these two topic questions because I do not visit DVNP because of the Wilderness areas. I believe that in many instances the Wilderness designation has been over-applied and has severely limited use of our public lands.

What do you value about the park's non-wilderness backcountry lands and network of backcountry roads?
        Many of these routes create loop opportunities with routes on lands with other jurisdictions, for example the South Park/Pleasant Canyon loop connects with routes administered by the Bureau of Land Management.
        These routes are essential for the safety of the back country traveler.
        They also provide the DVNP visitor with a unique mode of travel not experienced at other National Parks.
        Routes provide access to sites of historical, cultural and scientific value.

What are your issues or concerns regarding how these backcountry lands and roads are used and managed?
        No loss of current backcountry routes should occur.
        Continue to keep the routes open to street-legal vehicles.
        Closure of the routes would essentially close a majority of the Park to visitation.
        Volunteer help could be used to maintain the routes. Look at the volunteer hours donated to the USFS in the San Bernardino National Forest Adopt-A-Trail program. The SBNF Adopt-a-Trail Program generated $270,742 in Volunteer value in hours. 13,370 hours x $20.25/Hr.

What are your thoughts and/or concerns regarding the relationship between wilderness and adjacent non-wilderness backcountry?
        Access to the backcountry, especially backcountry Wilderness Areas of DVNP is provided through the system of back country routes. Backcountry access would be dangerous and extremely difficult without the route system.

Route users are usually the eyes and ears of the area, often reporting illegal/unauthorized activity and the first to offer assistance to people in distress.

Routes would still need to be maintained to allow access and patrol by Park employees.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this. I will definitly make my comments. There have been enough road closures in DV from the first Wilderness round! Also, they are not fooling anybody with the "cherry stem trails/roads" They already proved that wouldn't work when one of the original "cherry stems" washed out and we couldn't go in there to fix it...so closed forever!! Forever is a long time!! Who on earth can hike out to those places anyway?? In my mind a lot of these places don't even have the Wilderness characteristic of the original Wilderness intent. This is just another way to shut us out. Another one to watch is the recent signing of an MOU between Canada, the US and Mexico regarding Wilderness read more here: http://fotusa.blogspot.com/2009/11/u...ilderness.html
          Stacie Albright
          Life Member BlueRibbon Coalition

Comment

I followed the link from the original poster and was happy to fill out the form but I did not see the form anywhere on the page. Do you have a direct link to the form? I clicked on the one you provided but I didn't find the form. Is the comment period still open?
            2004 TJ X
            Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

No sorry, comment period ended the 15th
              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                No sorry, comment period ended the 15th

Crap. I was going to respond today. I'll bet the Sierra Clubbers had plenty of time to respond. This really sucks.
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

Thanks for posting this.

I'm sorry that I saw this so late in the game, because I wanted to respond in a similar fashion.

Christian
                  "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

Working...
                  X