Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tellico Closed

"SFWDA participated in a conference call today with the USFS and learned that they intend on permanently closing the Upper Tellico OHV System.

The decision will be posted on the North Carolina USFS website soon (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/). When it is posted, there will be some detail from the agency about the decision, how it was reached, and what we can do to protest.

My understanding is that there will be a 45 day appeal period, followed by a 45 day period for USFS review. Once that review is complete, the decision will either be upheld or overturned. If upheld, we go into the courts.

SFWDA, BRC and United will have a news release out ASAP detailing our reactions to the decision and our next steps. We will also be asking for everyone to help us with the appeal and to step up the communications to the USFS about the decision (more letter writing, calling elected officials, peaceful protests, etc.).

Sorry this isn't a lot of information, but I haven't seen the documents yet. When I do, I'll post up more about what we need to do."
    Stacie Albright
    Life Member BlueRibbon Coalition

Well that just sucks!

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Stacie,
      Please tell me to shut up and get back in my box if I'm way off on this. But this has been closed for some time now hasn't it?
      I thought I first heard about this over a year ago, when it was closed to do "an environmental impact study" or some such thing. Some three feathered gill fish from the mezzasoic age or something was having it's waters polluted. (I jest, but the actual reasoning escapes me right now. It was some sort of study though.)
      I hate to see this happening. I did call and email about my desire to some day visit Tellico, and the slipping away of recreational opportunities in this free country.
      I will have my keyboard, cell phone, and pen at the ready when the troops are called into action.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X