Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fire Restrictions, SBNF

San Bernardino National Forest Raises Fire Restrictions

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif., August 31, 2009 – The San Bernardino National Forest is increasing fire restrictions on Tuesday September 1, 2009, due to hot, dry weather and high fire activity in southern California.

“We’re asking for the public’s help in protecting the forest from the threat of wildland fires during these harsh weather conditions,” said Forest Supervisor Jeanne Wade Evans. “Our ultimate goal is to keep the forest open and enjoyable for visitors, and these precautionary measures can help reduce the threat of a large fire impacting the forest,” added Wade Evans.

Forest visitors must exercise caution when visiting the National Forest and maintain a higher level of awareness with the increased fire risk. Travelers through the Forest should remain on designated roads and never park on dry brush or grass.

Fire restrictions and guidelines effective September 1, 2009, on the San Bernardino National Forest are as follows:

• No wood or charcoal fires anywhere on the San Bernardino National Forest.

• Campfire permits are required for propane and gas stoves and lanterns used outside of developed recreation sites.

• Recreational shooting is limited to Public Shooting Ranges operated under special use permit only, except those engaged in legal hunting.

• An approved spark arrester is required for any internal combustion engine operated on designated forest routes. These include chainsaws, generators, motorcycles, and off-highway vehicles.

• Smoking is limited to enclosed vehicles, buildings and developed recreation sites.

• Fireworks are always prohibited on the San Bernardino National Forest. Tracer, armor piercing, steel core, and Teflon ammunitions are also prohibited, as is discharging a firearm at any exploding target.

The US Forest Service will be aggressively citing those who do not comply with the posted restrictions. Violation of these prohibitions is subject to punishment by a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than six months or both, as Class B misdemeanors under federal law. Persons may also be responsible for resource damage, suppression costs and any injuries that occur if they are found liable for causing a wildfire.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Jeff, is a small propane BBQ ok? It's the same size as a propane stove and has a closing lid, and only operates on propane. I will be camping in a campground and want to at least be able to BBQ my burgers...

Comment

• Campfire permits are required for propane and gas stoves and lanterns used outside of developed recreation sites.

So - yep
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY

Comment

Thanks, Jeff!!

Comment

Anytime milady, anytime!
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY

Comment

Jeff

You might want to let the powers that be know that there is a contradiction on the Reservation website: http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Te...ex=CampingSpot

Under "Alerts & Important Information" it states that no camp fires are allowed and farther down in that section is states at fires are allowed in the provided campfire rings.

Roger
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Fire Restrictions Reduced on the San Bernardino National Forest, effective October 23

San Bernardino, Calif. October 22, 2009 - With moderate weather across the southland, the San Bernardino National Forest will reduce fire restrictions on the forest effective Friday, October 23.

Under the reduced fire restrictions, wood and charcoal fires will once again be allowed in agency-provided campfire rings at designated campgrounds and picnic areas and sites operated under special use permits.

“With the milder weather, I want to remind folks to continue to be fire safe and vigilant year-round,” said Forest Supervisor Jeanne Wade Evans.

Current fire restriction and guidelines in effect on the San Bernardino National Forest are as follows:

Wood and charcoal campfires are allowed only in developed campgrounds and picnic areas, within agency-provided fire rings or designated stoves.

Wood and charcoal campfires are not permitted in Yellow Post campsites.

Campfire permits are required for propane and gas stoves and lanterns used outside of developed recreation sites.

Recreational shooting is limited to public shooting ranges operated under special use permit only, except those engaged in legal hunting.

An approved spark arrester is required for any internal combustion engine operated on designated forest routes. These include chainsaws, generators, motorcycles, and off-highway vehicles.

Smoking is limited to enclosed vehicles and developed recreation sites.

Fireworks are always prohibited on the San Bernardino National Forest. Tracer, armor piercing, steel core, and Teflon ammunitions are also prohibited, as is discharging a firearm at any exploding target.

Forest visitors are encouraged to “Know Before You Go” and call ahead to the local Ranger Station to check on location conditions and restrictions.

Arrowhead Ranger Station 909-382-2758
              Big Bear Ranger Station & Discovery Center 909-382-2790
              Lytle Creek Ranger Station 909-382-2850
              Idyllwild Ranger Station 909-382-2922
              Mill Creek Ranger Station 909-382-2881
              Santa Rosa & San Jacinto Mountains National Monument 760-862-9984

For additional information about the San Bernardino National Forest, please visit: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
              X