Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucerne Valley Solar Project

Is anyone going to this meeting? The location has been changed to the school auditorium. They may be expecting a big crowd like they had for the Fry Mountains meeting last year. Harry and I will be there tonight. We plan to be at the Mexican Restaurant on Hwy 18 near Hwy 247, in Lucerne Valley about 5ish.

Speaking of the Fry Mountain project, we've heard that the person who engineered the sell out of the community to FPL, meg from orba, will be there tonight too. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Release Date: 07/15/09
    Contacts: Stephen Razo , 951-697-5217 , srazo@ca.blm.gov
    David Briery , 951-697-5220 , dbriery@ca.blm.gov
    News Release No. CA-CDD-09-55
    BLM Schedules Public Scoping Meetings for Solar Project in California Desert
    The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will hold public scoping meetings as part of an environmental review on the impacts of the proposed Lucerne Valley Solar Project in San Bernardino County, Calif. Chevron Energy Solutions has applied to the BLM for a right-of-way (ROW) on public lands to construct the solar photovoltaic power plant on approximately 516 acres about eight miles east of the community of Lucerne Valley.
    BLM public scoping meetings will be held July 29 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at the Lucerne Valley Community Center, 33187 Highway 247 East, Lucerne Valley CA 92356 and July 30 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at the Family Life Public Enterprise Center, Conference Room 13, 1505 W. Highland Ave, San Bernardino CA 92411. The meetings will be part of a 30-day public scoping period that will begin later this week with publication in the Federal Register of the Notice of Intent (NOI) to conduct the environmental review.
    During the scoping period, BLM solicits public comment on issues, concerns, potential impacts, alternatives, and mitigation measures that should be considered in the analysis of the proposed action. The agency then
    will use the public scoping comments in preparing the draft environmental documents, which are anticipated to be available for public review in late 2009.
    BLM, as the lead agency under the National Environmental Policy Act, prepares the environmental impact statement (EIS) to analyze the site-specific impacts of the ROW application and a possible amendment to the California Desert Conservation Area Plan. The EIS will analyze the site-specific impacts on air quality, biological resources, cultural resources, water resources, geological resources and hazards, hazardous materials handling, land use, noise, and visual resources and transmission system engineering and transmission line safety.
    If approved by the BLM, construction of the 45-megawatt (MW) thin-film photovoltaic project is proposed to begin December 1, 2010. The project would be constructed in two phases. Phase I would consist of up to 180,000 photovoltaic panels with a generating capacity of 20 MW. Phase II, with a generating capacity of 25 MW, would be similarly configured.
    Related structures would include the construction of a new switchyard, control/maintenance building, and parking area. This facility would be accessed through an adjacent county road. A BLM open route on the project site may be realigned, but would remain designated as an open route. This solar project would be connected to an existing adjacent 33-kiloVolt (kV) distribution system.
    Further details can be found at www.ca.blm.gov/barstow. Please e-mail any questions to LucerneSolar@blm.gov.

Helen,

I'll try to make it tonight. Wish I knew about it sooner. This 516acre project will take away public land from both the east and west of Santa Fe Fire Road just south of Hwy 247 (Foothill Rd). Little by little it is disappearing....

Mitch

Comment

Thanks Mitch,

I didn't realise that the notice wasn't posted here until today. For those of you out in the LV area, it would be a good idea to get on the LVEDA email list. Chuck Bell should be at the meeting tonight. Chuck is the one who sent us the notice.

As Mitch says, the BLM area that is being proposed for this solar project is south of HWY 247. It is not in the open area, however, it is on public, not private land, and it would be another action to whittle away public access.

Helen

Comment

Okay, I was able to go after all. I saw Harry & Helen there and spoke with them for a few minutes.

I had a chance to make comments. Here's a summary of them in bullet points rather than type my entire mini speech:
        • Confirmation that the project was tying into exsting SCE 33K lines at the proposed site and not going to connect to the proposed LADWP Green Path transmission lines
        • Commit to low profile (less than 6'-0" high) panels
        • Commit to Santa Fe Fire road remaining open
        • Clearing 500+ acres will create a large blowing dust condition, It must be addressed and mitigated
        • BLM must require a geological study. It is located in proximity to a number of earthquake faults
        • The proposed location is in an area to flash flooding. That must be mitigated to prevent erosion
        • BLM should require a 100% cost recovery bond should the project fail, or become oboslete. the bond should cover the estimated costs to restore the site to it's original condition.

My final comment:
        "If this was a "stand alone" project I would have no trouble supporting it but, looking at the cumlitive effect of all the proposed projects for the Lucerne Valley Area, all added together will have a negative impact on the quality of life here in the Lucerne Valley area and limit public access to public lands"

After reviewing this project, I feel that this project in and of itself will not affect the off-roading community. The cumlitive effect will be disasterous should all the proposed projects succeed in obtaining approval.

I will say that there was some excellent speakers that commented. This may be the only time I have ever agreed with environmentalists! Thankfully there were no "wack jobs" that spoke!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

shrug....Chevron has lots of money.
          since no property taxes are collected on the property now as public land, let Chevron purchase the property and pay the taxes to San Berdoo county.

just tired of big oil reaping all the rewards, and locals suffering all the effects.

Comment

[QUOTE=jpflat2a;139835]shrug.... let Chevron purchase the property and pay the taxes to San Berdoo county.QUOTE]

Why do you think that Chevron is purchasing the property?

One of the questions to ask when you submit your comment is, "what is Chevron paying to use this land?" Is it a lease, a purchase or what? What is the public getting in return for the loss of this public land?

Comment

Actually, Cheveron said they are seeking a "right of way" This may mean there will probably be no cost or very little cost to Chevron.
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

all I'm saying is that if they, Chevron, are going to use the land anyway, make them pay property taxes on such land. It shouldn't be a gift or right of way.
                The public should receive payment for their use of the property....that's just what I think.
                no, I'm not a wise man....

Comment

Originally posted by jpflat2a View Post
                  all I'm saying is that if they, Chevron, are going to use the land anyway, make them pay property taxes on such land. It shouldn't be a gift or right of way.
                  The public should receive payment for their use of the property....that's just what I think.
                  no, I'm not a wise man....
                  I agree with you.

One of those that spoke was a young woman from some environmental group. Maybe the ones who own the land in Pipes canyon, but I'm not sure. She brought up a very good point. Do not build solar plants on undisturbed land. Build them on already disturbed land. Edison is proposing one on an old farm in Lucerne Valley. No public lands will be lost in their project.
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    I agree with you.

One of those that spoke was a young woman from some environmental group. Maybe the ones who own the land in Pipes canyon, but I'm not sure. She brought up a very good point. Do not build solar plants on undisturbed land. Build them on already disturbed land. Edison is proposing one on an old farm in Lucerne Valley. No public lands will be lost in their project.
                    so..who would pay the property taxes on that old farm then ?
                    the value of the land will be increased with the project.
                    if we're going to lose public lands to these projects, then the opewrators should pay their taxes accordingly to the county.
                    the green power generated will be high priced green power anyway....

thanks to those of you who attend and get educated on this stuff rather than someone like me who just reads about what's going on and where...

Comment

The property owner would pay the taxes. The tax rate would be based on the value of the project. This will substantially increae the the tax revenue to the County.
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                      X