Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire restriction change

Yellow Post sites are no longer places for wood or charcoal fires....... .

Increased Fire Restrictions Ordered
    Effective Friday In San Bernardino National Forest

San Bernardino, CA – Increased fire restrictions will be in place starting Friday, July 31, in the San Bernardino National Forest.

Moderate to severe drought conditions, hot weather and lower fuel moisture have prompted the San Bernardino National Forest to institute new fire regulations.

Forest officials are taking these steps to prevent human-caused fires and raise public awareness as the summer continues to get warmer and dryer. Most wildfires in the San Bernardino National Forest are human-caused and increased restrictions are designed to reduce wildland fires.

Forest visitors are reminded to exercise caution when visiting the National Forest and maintain a higher level of awareness with the increased fire risk. Travelers through the Forest should remain on designated roads and never park on dry brush or grass.

"We want visitors to enjoy their public lands, but use common sense in the process" said Deputy Fire Chief Rocky Opliger. "We are asking the public's cooperation in helping us prevent destructive fires before they start."

Fire restrictions and guidelines, effective July 31, 2009 in the San Bernardino National Forest, are as follows:

Wood and charcoal fires are permitted only in campgrounds and picnic grounds and within agency provided fire rings or camp stoves. Forest Rangers may further restrict campfires from campgrounds under extreme fire conditions.

Wood and charcoal fires are not permitted at Yellow Post campsites due to high fire danger.

Campfire permits are required for propane and gas stoves and lanterns used outside of developed recreation sites.

Recreational shooting is limited to Public Shooting Ranges operated under special use permit only, except those engaged in legal hunting.

An approved spark arrester is required for any internal combustion engine operated on designated forest routes. These include chainsaws, generators, motorcycles, and off-highway vehicles.

Smoking is limited to enclosed vehicles, developed recreation sites, and areas cleared of vegetation three feet in diameter.

Fireworks are always prohibited in the San Bernardino National Forest. Tracer, armor piercing, steel core, and Teflon ammunition are also prohibited, as is discharging a firearm at any exploding target.

The US Forest Service will be aggressively citing those who do not comply with the posted restrictions. Violation of these prohibitions is subject to punishment by a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment for not more than six months or both, as Class B misdemeanors under federal law. Persons may also be responsible for resource damage, suppression costs and any injuries that occur if they are found liable for causing a wildfire.
    Jeff
    OHV76V
    KG6TY
    You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Here we go, fire season is here....
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Funny - we call it something else
      Jeff
      OHV76V
      KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        Here we go, fire season is here....
        Yah, and as soon as the TV news tells us all to be careful, the fire bugs will be out. GRRRRR!
        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
          Funny - we call it something else
          Okay - What?
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            Okay - What?
            Hmm, "Idiots who shouldn't be allowed out with a soggy cheeseburger, much less equipment to start a fire" season - but that looks bad on a press release....
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
              Hmm, "Idiots who shouldn't be allowed out with a soggy cheeseburger, much less equipment to start a fire" season - but that looks bad on a press release....
              Hahahahahaahhahaha... Thanks for the updates, as always.

Do you think it would be beneficial to display the current fire conditions more obviously in the trail runs forum?
              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Might not be a bad idea - or "sticky" this post into there, and I'll just update it instead of creating a new one every time it changes.
                Jeff
                OHV76V
                KG6TY

Comment

Working...
                X